Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

I think I may know the new "thing."
Posted By: Drakkari <dtclinton@shaw.ca>Date: 1/27/07 2:40 a.m.

Please bear with me as this conclusion I came to only surfaced literally after hours of comparing both the MLG and HIH communities, and what common ground they share. I could only come up with two scenarios, and I eliminated the first one simply because it's been announced already. I may very well be wrong about this, but that's what makes this so much fun...the speculating!

Eliminated Scenario: The first connection I came up with, as most people did, was the Saved Films and/or Spectator Mode. Both MLG and HIH could make awesome use of the Saved Films feature, but as I stated, it's been announced. So that's out the window. Now what about a Spectator Mode? Not too long ago Bungie stated they were looking into improving the 'after-death' camera in multiplayer. That's all find and dandy, but that would hardly constitute Frankie making a big splash about this in a later weekly update. Obviously after reading Frankie's paragraph about this feature, his excitement would lead me to believe this is something completely new that has never been spoken about in any update. Strike two.

Scenario which I believe it is: What else could MLG and HIH have in common that would be a big deal to each? There's something that both parties cherish and love; which leads to my next question. What is it about their respective communities that they grew into a success with? Yes, that's right, Halo One. But what about Halo One could this feature be? The return of the beloved pistol? Halo One physics engine? Resurrected maps? How about the whole kitten-kaboodle. The entire Halo: Combat Evolved, both campaign and multiplayer. Now let's look at why I came up with this theory.

High Impact Halo grew into a success because of the love of 'tricking' and pushing Halo's physics engine to the max. Also accomplishing things with the game no one thought possible. It was Halo that started it all, and the fondest memories of the tricksters come from the first game. Halo means a great deal to them, especially the campaign where the greatest of tricks were done.

Major League Gaming took the first major step to start the competitive gaming lifestyle on a console. Their first flagship game was Halo: Combat Evolved, and it was this game that forged some of the worlds best players we see today, and it was also the game that defined how a multiplayer FPS should be played. Time and time again, I hear about how great Halo One is, and how many people wish it had online play over Xbox Live. The MLG guys would give their left nuts to be able to play Halo: CE on Xbox Live in it's original form.

As you can see, I've come across a common ground significant enough to be something that will make both "happy for months...even years, since it's THAT big." Imagine, Halo: Combat Evolved faithfully restored to take advantage of everything the Xbox 360 has to offer, including the new features (Saved Films, new gametypes, improved cameras, robust online matchmaking, etc) that Bungie is implementing into Halo 3. It could also have slightly improved graphics and textures for an upgraded feel. What if Bungie was able to program a kickass net code into it to enable Live play with all the original weapons and maps? I mean I could really go on all night, but you get the jist of what I'm saying. No other common factor seems to be big enough to warrant the excitement both parties will supposedly have to this new feature. Who knows though, as I said it's fun to speculate about these "big" things lol.

Message Index

Replies:

I think I may know the new "thing."Drakkari 1/27/07 2:40 a.m.
     Re: I think I may know the new "thing."DangerousHippo 1/27/07 3:16 a.m.
           Re: I think I may know the new "thing."MaCeGaC 1/27/07 3:48 a.m.
     Re: I think I may know the new "thing."Drakkari 1/27/07 4:48 a.m.
           Re: I think I may know the new "thing."Owm 1/27/07 5:01 a.m.
                 Re: I think I may know the new "thing."SF Legend 1/27/07 6:04 a.m.
                       I hope Halo 3 has nade chain reactions *NM*scarab 1/27/07 8:15 a.m.
     Re: I think I may know the new "thing."Louis Wu 1/27/07 6:25 a.m.
           Re: I think I may know the new "thing."gspawn 1/27/07 7:14 a.m.
           Wouln't that be the death og tricking?scarab 1/27/07 8:18 a.m.
                 Indeed *NM*Mirel 1/27/07 10:46 a.m.
                 Nomnemesis 1/27/07 11:35 a.m.
                       Re: NoDucain 1/27/07 12:16 p.m.
                             Double post - sorryDucain 1/27/07 12:21 p.m.
                             Has this been discussed?scarab 1/28/07 3:40 a.m.
                                   Re: Has this been discussed?Rockslider 1/28/07 5:21 p.m.
                                         Re: Has this been discussed?scarab 1/29/07 8:12 a.m.
                                               Re: Has this been discussed?Rockslider 1/29/07 4:42 p.m.
                             Physics and game enginesRockslider 1/28/07 5:13 p.m.
                                   Re: Physics and game enginesFoolsRun 1/29/07 9:16 a.m.
                                         Many thanks - interesting *NM* *NM*Rockslider 1/29/07 4:37 p.m.
                 Freecam without killing tricksNarcogen 1/28/07 11:11 p.m.
                       Re: Freecam without killing tricksscarab 1/29/07 7:43 a.m.
                             Re: Freecam without killing tricksSep7imus [subnova] 1/29/07 8:10 a.m.
                                   Searching and FindingNarcogen 1/30/07 12:08 a.m.
                             First person.Narcogen 1/30/07 12:05 a.m.
           Re: I think I may know the new "thing."Miguel Chavez 1/27/07 2:19 p.m.
                 Re: I think I may know the new "thing."DangerousHippo 1/27/07 2:34 p.m.
                 Re: I think I may know the new "thing."Ducain 1/27/07 3:05 p.m.
                       Rewind featurescarab 1/28/07 3:01 a.m.
                             Re: Rewind featurescarab 1/28/07 3:49 a.m.
                                   Re: Rewind featureBlack Guard 1/28/07 4:31 a.m.
                                         Re: Rewind featurescarab 1/29/07 7:59 a.m.
                 New thing = Saved Game & Game Settings Exporter?Dry Ice 1/29/07 7:40 a.m.
                       Re: New thing = Saved Game & Game Settings ExporteSep7imus [subnova] 1/29/07 8:12 a.m.
                       Re: New thing = Saved Game & Game Settings ExporteDojorkan 1/30/07 1:56 p.m.
           Re: I think I may know the new "thing."DS 1/27/07 3:09 p.m.
                 Re: I think I may know the new "thing."TelTura 1/27/07 9:50 p.m.
     Here's my guess.serpx 1/27/07 9:39 a.m.
           Re: Here's my guess.serpx 1/27/07 9:41 a.m.
                 2 ideas from old egm magMaCeGaC 1/27/07 4:26 p.m.
     Totally a spectator mode.Ma1agate 1/27/07 4:22 p.m.
     Re: I think I may know the new "thing."newDeviLedeT1 1/27/07 5:05 p.m.
           Re: I think I may know the new "thing."Spartan Jag 1/27/07 5:15 p.m.
           Re: I think I may know the new "thing."newDeviLedeT1 1/27/07 8:37 p.m.
                 Re: I think I may know the new "thing."raptor117 1/29/07 5:31 p.m.
     Frankie says it's not "Video Related."Drakkari 1/28/07 10:39 a.m.
           Re: Frankie says it's not "Video Related."newDeviLedeT1 1/28/07 11:13 a.m.
           Re: Frankie says it's not "Video Related."DS 1/29/07 9:12 a.m.
                 Re: Frankie says it's not "Video Related."Owm 1/30/07 4:31 a.m.
     chain reaction grenades mb?Brodingo 1/28/07 2:01 p.m.
           I said that... *NM*SF Legend 1/29/07 4:14 a.m.
     Re: I think I may know the new "thing."Rockslider 1/28/07 5:09 p.m.
     Online H1 bundled inside H3?rapture 1/30/07 10:55 p.m.
           MB, mb. But...Funkmon 1/30/07 11:45 p.m.
                 Re: MB, mb. But...CANTANATRIX 1/31/07 5:03 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.