Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Story and Gameplay Integration
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 1/18/07 4:47 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Story and Gameplay Integration (Cody Miller)

: But to put this in perspective of 3Sun's critique, in all of what's happening
: the plot isn't advancing. There are literally hours in which the plot
: doesn't move forward in Half Life 2, and when you think about it, not a
: lot actually happens. 50% of what's going on is told to you in the scene
: in Breen's office at the end of the game, which comprises no more than 10
: minutes.

That's very true, also. It can be said that the Chief isn't always actively involved in the "big events" of the Halo story, but Gordon Freeman is even less so. Despite not apparently being a trained soldier, his contribution to the large events of Half-Live 2 consist of traveling from one city to another and back, then inside the tower (which is the end, wherein most of the reveals are). Gameplay consists of a lot of "and then he went to" sequences.

On the other hand, given the story's context, it's a lot more explicable that Gordon has to hoof it so far and gets minimal help.

In Halo 2, I tend to wonder why we didn't drop closer to Regret's temple. Or why, with a Pelican right there, didn't we fly directly there? Freeman very nearly is alone, whereas the Chief is supposed to have backup; so some of the restrictions that place him in situations alone, or with little backup, seem artificial and contrived.

: Halo's plot is always moving forward. You can't advance the plot with action.
: Since Halo is a lot about story, it will of course use cutscenes and
: objectives from Cortana to advance it along. When you're on Halo and
: Cortana tells you to rescue the marines, and that Captain Keyes has been
: captured this moves the story. When she tells you to break the generators
: this moves the story.

I agree-- no one has yet come up with a good way to advance plot with gameplay action. I'm not sure it's possible. Even if I imagine an interface with no limits, I have a hard time picturing what that would look like, except in a persistent online MMO where half the population are role-playing NPCs that are dramatized by hired characters.

: I guess it's just a tradeoff of what you like more. As you said Narc, you
: like the Halo universe better, and I agree.

Notable Brutes

Message Index

Replies:

Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OT3Suns 1/10/07 2:50 a.m.
     Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTJillybean 1/10/07 3:41 a.m.
           Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTCaptain Spark 1/10/07 7:57 a.m.
                 Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTJillybean 1/10/07 10:57 a.m.
                       Slight edit . .Jillybean 1/10/07 10:58 a.m.
                             Here's the interview link:FoolsRun 1/10/07 11:33 a.m.
                                   Thank you! *NM*Jillybean 1/10/07 12:42 p.m.
                       Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTCaptain Spark 1/10/07 12:48 p.m.
                             Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTThe More Deluded 1/10/07 12:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTCaptain Spark 1/10/07 5:32 p.m.
                             Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTJillybean 1/10/07 12:57 p.m.
                                   The Halo Campaigns. My review.3Suns 1/11/07 1:31 p.m.
                                         Re: The Halo Campaigns. My review.Louis Wu 1/11/07 2:03 p.m.
                                               Re: The Halo Campaigns. My review.3Suns 1/11/07 5:40 p.m.
                                         Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/12/07 2:31 a.m.
                                               Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationJman 1/12/07 2:59 a.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay Integrationreprobate 1/12/07 4:40 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay Integrationreprobate 1/12/07 4:44 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/12/07 5:45 a.m.
                                               Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/13/07 10:26 a.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/15/07 12:54 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/15/07 8:56 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/15/07 10:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/16/07 1:19 a.m.
                                                                             Battle-based gamesRockslider 1/17/07 12:33 p.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationPeptuck 1/16/07 1:59 p.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationUrsusArctos 1/17/07 5:15 a.m.
                                               Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationCody Miller 1/16/07 12:32 a.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/16/07 1:58 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/16/07 3:16 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationMa1agate 1/16/07 9:25 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 1/16/07 10:13 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationSep7imus [subnova] 1/16/07 11:00 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationPeptuck 1/16/07 1:45 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationHikaru-119 1/16/07 10:56 a.m.
                                                                       Non-Stop ActionNarcogen 1/16/07 11:02 p.m.
                                                                 Ken Levine on using quiet in games3Suns 1/23/07 2:26 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Ken Levine on using quiet in gamesRed_Breast 1/23/07 12:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationCody Miller 1/17/07 1:28 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/18/07 4:47 a.m.
                                         Re: The Halo Campaigns. My review.Cody Miller 1/16/07 12:17 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.