Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Story and Gameplay Integration
Posted By: reprobateDate: 1/12/07 4:40 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Story and Gameplay Integration (Jman)

: I really think you're onto something there. Heh, since I'm the only one up on
: this side of the seaboard, I might as well discuss it with ya.

: I really think that Marathon engrained a deeper storyline by simply immersing
: yourself in the mythos of the universe. Give the player more interesting
: information, though not at all relevant to the game's gameplay and
: interaction, provides interaction outside the realm of the TV and the 3D
: space you're playing in. In Marathon the inclusion of Durandal is
: extraneous to the immidiate goals faced by the player, in order to further
: the storyline however, the pretext is that you are going about killing the
: Phor and hitting switches and jumping over lava pits and such so you can
: survive and continue through the game to its end, the fact that you are
: helping a rampant AI escape from the universe is secondary.

: Much like the goals in Halo are much secondary to the actual gameplay, and
: the ACTUAL storyline, is secondary to that. I think more integrated
: cutscenes like Gears of War (I'm assuming here, haven't played the
: campaign yet) will be able to bridge this gap better.

: In my opinion the Chief is almost kinda like the Arbiter. Except for perhaps
: a number of years of birth where he has presumed freedom, his
: "adoption" into the Spartan program essentially realized his
: fate for the rest of his life. During the events of Halo, he takes orders
: from Cortana, much like his officer superiors before that, though he is
: very good at what he does, the events that surround his life are just out
: of his control.

: While the Arbiter conflicts with the image of survival (the Chief is very
: good at this). He is destined to "die" and accordingly his role
: as Arbiter protrays this. He takes his orders from the Prophets but then
: disregards them and for the first time in his life, commands his own
: will...

: I was attempting to draw some opposites between the Arbiter and the Chief,
: but it is very late over here, and I'm very tired.

: --formerly jman571

I was gonna say a similar thing, that when you think about it, and this is really stretching it, but the linear gameplay we as the players go through is basically walking the only path that the Chief can go. He was forced to become a Spartan and forced to continue, supposedly they have had the freedom to quit full-time UNSC employment ala Maria from the graphic novel, but she may well be the only one to do that. I don't think a Spartan can ever truly "quit" anyway, as sooner or later the Covenant and perhaps even the Flood will be coming to destroy or consume every human outpost. Like Staten said, it's a story about people whose backs are against the wall with no other choice.

I think the main thing that I liked the most about the Arbiter specifically was the freedom that the invisibility gave you compared to the Chief. If you were fast and smart about using it, you could completely bypass fights that the Chief would have to go through, thus giving you more freedom. The Arbiter is similarly stuck in his destiny though, but primarily by honor (and now I suppose fighting for the lives of all Elites and Hunters).

Going back to Narcogen's thought originally on the story-about-storytelling idea in Halo, they named a whole book about the one major act that you could say was defiance of fate and the orders of those above him by the Chief... First Strike. Halsey had noted that the Chief had changed (become unhinged a bit?) and in the novel there's even an anecdote about the young Spartans defying Mendez by camping out on a beach and surfing. That was in my opinion the first flagrantly disobedient act that they ever showed the Spartans doing. He plunged into Reach originally against the wishes of his superior officer and later attacked the Covenant fleet which was also originally against the wishes of the general (if I recall correctly). My point with all this being that by the Chief going against orders and just having been largely reactionary to the Covenant had gained momentary freedom and changed the situation for the good guys.

Message Index

Replies:

Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OT3Suns 1/10/07 2:50 a.m.
     Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTJillybean 1/10/07 3:41 a.m.
           Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTCaptain Spark 1/10/07 7:57 a.m.
                 Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTJillybean 1/10/07 10:57 a.m.
                       Slight edit . .Jillybean 1/10/07 10:58 a.m.
                             Here's the interview link:FoolsRun 1/10/07 11:33 a.m.
                                   Thank you! *NM*Jillybean 1/10/07 12:42 p.m.
                       Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTCaptain Spark 1/10/07 12:48 p.m.
                             Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTThe More Deluded 1/10/07 12:52 p.m.
                                   Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTCaptain Spark 1/10/07 5:32 p.m.
                             Re: Susan O'Connor - process of games writing OTJillybean 1/10/07 12:57 p.m.
                                   The Halo Campaigns. My review.3Suns 1/11/07 1:31 p.m.
                                         Re: The Halo Campaigns. My review.Louis Wu 1/11/07 2:03 p.m.
                                               Re: The Halo Campaigns. My review.3Suns 1/11/07 5:40 p.m.
                                         Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/12/07 2:31 a.m.
                                               Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationJman 1/12/07 2:59 a.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay Integrationreprobate 1/12/07 4:40 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay Integrationreprobate 1/12/07 4:44 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/12/07 5:45 a.m.
                                               Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/13/07 10:26 a.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/15/07 12:54 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/15/07 8:56 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/15/07 10:13 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/16/07 1:19 a.m.
                                                                             Battle-based gamesRockslider 1/17/07 12:33 p.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationPeptuck 1/16/07 1:59 p.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationUrsusArctos 1/17/07 5:15 a.m.
                                               Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationCody Miller 1/16/07 12:32 a.m.
                                                     Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/16/07 1:58 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay Integration3Suns 1/16/07 3:16 a.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationMa1agate 1/16/07 9:25 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 1/16/07 10:13 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationSep7imus [subnova] 1/16/07 11:00 a.m.
                                                                             Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationPeptuck 1/16/07 1:45 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationHikaru-119 1/16/07 10:56 a.m.
                                                                       Non-Stop ActionNarcogen 1/16/07 11:02 p.m.
                                                                 Ken Levine on using quiet in games3Suns 1/23/07 2:26 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Ken Levine on using quiet in gamesRed_Breast 1/23/07 12:02 p.m.
                                                           Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationCody Miller 1/17/07 1:28 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Story and Gameplay IntegrationNarcogen 1/18/07 4:47 a.m.
                                         Re: The Halo Campaigns. My review.Cody Miller 1/16/07 12:17 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.