Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Floating panels
Posted By: RocksliderDate: 12/12/06 12:07 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Floating panels (Owm)

: Hmm, someone slap me. I really should look at stuff before I blab about it.

Thwack! That ok for you?

I now see what you're on about: panels that seem designed to cast light onto nearby surfaces, presumably just for decorative effect. I'd never been aware of them before.

I did what you said and finally saw the panel I assume you meant (just as I was about to give up, mystified). I stood on a narrow ledge on the part of the support facing the window and looked straight ahead (which was the key), then jumped, getting a brief close-up view of the panel from above, as if my head had just risen up through it. But I then found a more direct way to see it: just stand on the wide outer sill that goes right around the room.

There was also a much more obvious floating panel nearby. The support had a big hole through it, and there was a small horizontal panel floating within, lighting the hole. It was readily visible from the path. In fact it was so visible that I'm surprised Bungie allowed it. It's like they didn't bother trying to hide this one.

Instances of those two panels are present in most of the octagonal rooms, not just the pulse generator rooms. Not all supports have them though; some are unlit.

I found another example of a light-casting panel. After a covie-infested corridor, you turn left. As you approach a ramp that leads up into the next room, music starts and a crowd of Flood can be seen running past to attack some Elites. Enter that room's inner chamber. There are two large grills on the left. Stand near a grill (perhaps off to the side) and jump to see a horizontal light-casting panel in front of it.

As for the panels in the control room, I too suspect that they're light-casters, even though they're dark underneath. There's light around the searchlight area, as if it's been cast down from the panel. Perhaps it was to make things look more realistic, compensating for shortcomings of the game engine. I've now added a mention of this to my TB fun page, including a link to this sub-thread.

But I'm not sure why any of these light-casting panels need to be visible at all. Some are invisible from one side, but why not make them invisible on both sides, to eliminate visible glitches? Some technical limitation?

Message Index

Replies:

Update at Bad Cyborg, mostly TB funRockslider 12/10/06 7:46 a.m.
     Awesome *NM*Bothinator 12/10/06 1:16 p.m.
     Re: Update at Bad Cyborg, mostly TB funOwm 12/10/06 5:32 p.m.
           Floating panelsRockslider 12/11/06 3:36 p.m.
                 Re: Floating panelsOwm 12/12/06 12:30 a.m.
                       Re: Floating panelsRockslider 12/12/06 12:07 p.m.
     Re: Update at Bad Cyborg, mostly TB funSlimby 12/10/06 5:48 p.m.
     Re: Update at Bad Cyborg, mostly TB funprinceofthesword 12/11/06 12:56 a.m.
           H2 megabattle search tipRockslider 12/11/06 3:46 p.m.
     Also, see yourself getting zapped by SentinelsRockslider 12/12/06 12:11 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.