Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Shield Cohesion Hypothesis *long* ; )
Posted By: HBOmatt <halomatt@hotmail.com>Date: 12/6/06 9:14 p.m.

In Response To: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubble (Ciarán)

: Take a look at this screen grab:

: The "panels" of the shield are smaller at the back, and don't fully
: overlap. He throws the grenade in front of him and the shield extends
: backwards, so it looks like there's more cover at the front, but gaps at
: the back. Maybe it's artistic licence, but it looks more like game balance
: to me :)

: Plus, it's definitely a Mongoose that gets blown to bits.

: Ciarán.

I'm a little disappointed someone got to this before me on the forum, i was first on narcogen's step-by-step of the trailer, that's when I noticed it. Okay, here we go.

While the it looks like the hexagonal shield panels in the front and top sections of the sphere have meshed into a completely solid form, the sides and back have not. The sections are noticably smaller the closer they come to the bottom rear of the shield, and the gap increases. The shield is still in this state right before the wraith mortar hits, and I doubt the MC would have activated the shield at anything less than full effect. He does have good enough timing to knock a missile out of the air ;)

Anyways, this indicates to me that the shield is at least partially directed, and because the fore and top are the solid sections, it is logical to conclude that this shield was designed against mortar, artillery, and possibly the fuel rod. If the shield was meant as protection from anythings, such as an air strike, it would probably have had an equal amount of protection for the whole sphere. This makes me think that the rear section of the shield is meant to block any "residual" plasma from the blast just wrapping around the shield and still reaching the chief while the fore section abates the main blast. This is just the most reasonable distribution of the shields power against a wraith mortar. This also means the shield would probably be breached by a rear attack or if he was surrounded by the "sea" of plasma resulting from a Seraph's energy bomb.

Of course this orientation of the shield's cohesiveness could just be artistic license by the studio. We'll know in less than a year ;)

This would indicate at least one of the functions of the device MC throws. It orients the strongest part of the shield towards the incoming threat. It probably has some kind of detector that is capapble of detecting the orientatino of the user who activated it. I do believe however, that the device is crucial for shield operation. It is obvious that the shield's direction was oriented on the device instead of the Chief because it does not shift when he moves and ducks, though the absolute location of the shield is centered on the chief. I also believe that the device is the power source for the shield, but this is just speculation. We don't know if the Chief picked the device back up or not after it deactivated. If he didn't then that leads definite credence to the device being a one-time use power cell and shield orienter minimum, if not the whole shebang by itself. If the device in completely independent of the user, then we can look forward to marines or others being able to use it :)

Message Index

Replies:

Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleCiarán 12/4/06 9:34 p.m.
     Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleRoss Mills [subnova] 12/4/06 9:35 p.m.
           Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubblejman571 12/4/06 9:38 p.m.
           Jackal sniper shield. *NM*Captain Spark 12/4/06 9:44 p.m.
                 That....DangerousHippo 12/5/06 7:29 p.m.
     Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleajenteks 12/4/06 9:36 p.m.
           Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubblegrunts_hut 12/4/06 9:38 p.m.
                 Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleHunt3r 12/4/06 9:40 p.m.
                       Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleBlack Guard 12/7/06 1:44 a.m.
                             Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleraptor117 12/7/06 11:08 a.m.
                 Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleajenteks 12/4/06 9:40 p.m.
                       Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubblegrunts_hut 12/4/06 9:42 p.m.
                 Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleRoss Mills [subnova] 12/4/06 9:41 p.m.
                       Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleGuesty-Persony-Thingy 12/4/06 9:44 p.m.
                       Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubblegrunts_hut 12/4/06 9:45 p.m.
                             Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleGuesty-Persony-Thingy 12/4/06 9:48 p.m.
                                   Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleShadowkiller 12/4/06 9:50 p.m.
                                         Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleGuesty-Persony-Thingy 12/4/06 9:53 p.m.
                                   Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubblegrunts_hut 12/4/06 9:51 p.m.
                 Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleLord Bob Saget 12/4/06 9:56 p.m.
                       Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubblegrunts_hut 12/4/06 9:59 p.m.
     Re: Shield Grenade isn't a full bubbleCaptain Kirk 12/5/06 4:00 p.m.
     Shield Cohesion Hypothesis *long* ; )HBOmatt 12/6/06 9:14 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.