Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Halo 3 dream *longish*
Posted By: [AMS] GreyThorDate: 11/29/06 8:43 p.m.

Okay. So it all starts out with me actually being hired in some really huge university in Enrollment Services (which I currently am at my university), but in a way more faculty-related position. So I was inspecting the housing of the university, when I pass Frankie and KP, who were just going into the library, for some unknown reason.

We chat. Turns out Frankie got canned from Bungie. KP is in a coding position, as well as having taken over Frankie's workload, but he's not complaining. He's actually enjoying it. For some reason, KP and I seem to be friends, as if we have known each other through school. He just seemed to be my... best friend. So I ask if there's anything new going on Halo 3, and he said to check by HBO for a really massive update by tonight that no one would see coming. I also ask him if there was any openings in Bungie to put the good word for me, and KP seemed very confident that I could take over Frankie's position and leave KP to his code work.

I continue onto housing, meet up with a group of students for a tour, and guide them along the facilities. I was asked how well the internet is for Xbox Live use, and I said it was superb, though the parents were not forking out the cash so you could game all day with no studies. Got a laugh from all the parents on that one.

So after work I went home, and logged on. Apparently the update was about a huge multiplayer and single player content release, though no storyline plot was released. But the biggest chunk of news was that Bungie with Microsoft kept Halo 3 such a huge secret that it was being released, with no shortage whatsoever, by tomorrow morning. Among my mail was a package from KP with my own Halo 3 game, a whole day before everyone else in the world. And of course I played it.

How it started out, I don't remember, but there was a part in the game where the Master Chief makes landfall during night, and in the middle of a warzone. With little to go as weapons, he resorts to rocks against any lone Covenant. Note though that this was not a cutscene - this was actual gameplay. There was a group of houses that were for the most part left unscathed among the warzone, and I made a run for there. In my dream, the X-button was a way to press yourself to a wall, rock, or any surface to make your presence hidden and to try to avoid enemy fire, a la Gears of War. The X-botton tied into the left analog stick, so that a double tap from X would put you onto a wall surface, and you could use the left analog stick to lean over the surface, the right to look in a 1st person manner, and shoot if you have to.

So I made it to the buildings, found a brute, and put it down with the plasma pistol I recovered. In Halo 3 the plasma pistol is stronger, like Halo 1's, with just as much of a homing downgrade as Combat Evolved. I hear yelling from a trenchline further down the battlefield, so I run and make contact with the tempHQ set up underground the trenches. I meet the commanding officer, and from there my mission is to repel the ground invasion at this site and make an offensive strike against the Covenant HQ on the other side of a canyon.

This was a battlefield with hundreds of vehicles, thousands of troops, and dozens of flyers from both sides. The humans actually had automated AArocket turrets, so you'd see the swoosh of two missiles streaking towards a Phantom and the cycling of a new magazine. Marines actually poured from the bunker and into the trenches and hills. Snipers took positions among any kind of cover on high ground they could find, and the crack-crack-crack report was almost continuous. Tanks were in manuevers, warthogs were zipping from side to side, putting down any kind of hotspot that the trenchlines couldn't effectively neutralize.

At that moment I hear "Mark! Go Go Go!" and was told through my com chatter that I was to lead a group of a 120 Marines into the Covenant line, with total support from tempHQ and reinforcements nearly continuous as any Pelican makes itself here dropping troops and supplies. I acknowledge and lead the force, deep into Covenant held ground, encountering Grunts, Jackals, then Elites. I encounter Brutes later on up and then the new Covenant race, which seemed a cross between a Brute and a Grunt. Not knowing what it was, it charged at me, and for some reason I was able to climb onto its back and deliver a killing blow with the Assault Rifle to the back of the head.

I continue along towards the enemy HQ, and encounter pits with Wraiths in them. They just hurl the plasma mortars into the sky with little profile to attack, so you had to dodge their fire while making it to the pits and taking the tanks out one by one. Then, Covenant drop pods streak down, and I look up, seeing glitters of lights among barely discernable shapes in the night sky. The war in space was full swing, and the explosions were contributing to the flashes in the night.

I made it to the enemy HQ, and after a good hour's worth of fighting the combatants inside and any of their reinforcements, I break into their command control room with just about 19 Marines left. None of the Covenant inside have anything stronger than a sidearm, and were put down. Engineers were back, and the Marines had the intel not to shoot them as they presented no harm. After radioing my success at the mission, the human front from the trenches makes an all out assault on whatever ground forces are left, and from afar I can zoom with a captured sniper rifle and see the entire push. Vehicles running forward, with ground troops trekking it out on foot, snipers on Mongooses repositioning themselves so that they can cover the ground assault and still remain within cover as well. Zooming behind them I see dozens upon dozens of pelicans making their way, dropping off supplies and men, and afterwards, making strafing runs on the occasional vehicle and Covenant that was missed and still active.

I recieved new orders to make it back to HQ, where I was to be debriefed and given new mission orders. A cutscene then ends the gameplay. In my dream, I take a look at my clock, and that one level took a whole four hours to play. One level. Among how many levels Halo 3 will have. And another awesome thing about that level was that whatever you did, the MC's role in the mission wasn't terribly crucial. The Marine assault would have commenced as planned with or without the MC, depending on if you make contact with the tempHQ or not, and Marine casualties could have been either higher, or lower, with your aid. Even though any ally Marine would have been surprised that a Spartan II was in the field and ask if command HQ knew you were deployed, they'd eventually drop it thinking you were focused more at aiding the front lines than take time to get a full briefing and mission detail.

That's about it. But I have one more point to make about the gameplay in my dream. The mission was fun because of all the freedom that the gameplay offered, with very few restrictions on where you could and could not go. Hell, you could have stayed by the untouched buildings and a pelican by chance could spot you, pick you up, and drop you off to the tempHQ.

So ya.. that was the dream I got from my 2 hour nap this afternoon... hope you all enjoyed.
~Grey

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 3 dream *longish*[AMS] GreyThor 11/29/06 8:43 p.m.
     ....this is actually a pretty indepth writeup too. *NM*[AMS] GreyThor 11/29/06 11:58 p.m.
     Keep on dreamin'Rockslider 12/1/06 10:03 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.