Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

One could only hope.
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 8/15/06 12:17 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Predictable? (Matt)

: I don't have a cynical bone in my body, so I'm sure I don't know what you
: mean.

Hee, hee :)

: All I meant was that it's silly to pretend Russian Roulette is less
: dangerous because the guy who's playing it is a friend of yours.

You're breaking the analogy here. In this case, the director is not playing, the audience is. The director is the gun.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, you start with a fully loaded gun. For each successful film a director has made, you take one out. For each flop, you put one back in. That seems fair.

How does the gun look now?

: No - but that's not really an option here, right? There is no preexisting
: Bungie movie squad.

There's no such thing as a "Bungie movie". Halo is highly derivative of pretty standard SF fare in terms of books and films. There ARE "squads" that have made successful science fiction films-- teams of producers, directors, and even actors.

What I really don't understand here is that when Peter Jackson was named as producer, all the talk was about how his talent and experience were positive boons for the Halo film. And now a director with no feature length experience is chosen to direct-- well, that's a positive boon for the film also!

Who the heck is handing out all the Kool-Aid? Why is it all of a sudden ridiculous to suggest that this is a risky move?

: That fans of the game know him now is irrelevant. My point was that I doubt
: anyone in the fan community knew of the guy while the game was in
: development - and if they did, they would know him from his work as a DJ.
: And if you're going to question the abilities of a director because he's
: never done a feature film before, you might as well question the
: suitability of a lead actor who's never lifted anything heavier than a
: station ID. But there wasn't any huffing and puffing over Bungie's choice
: of voice actors - probably because they never made a point of announcing
: them ahead of time - and the general consensus seems to be that the guy
: acquitted himself well. With that in mind, the dour pronouncements about
: whether this director is appropriate or up to the task seem just a little
: precious.

I haven't made any dour pronouncements. Heck, I haven't even seen any. Maybe I'm just avoiding those threads. It seems that the well-written threads are positively bubbling over with enthusiasm, while the others are full of knee-jerk criticism.

: There's no guarantee that all the movie needs is voice talent, either from a
: perfomance or marketing perspective.

I agree, that was why I presented it as a hypothetical.

: Why not? I know it's heresy 'round these parts, but if the movie has none of
: the actors from the game I'd still check it out. I don't think they're bad
: - but I don't think they're the only two actors on the planet who are
: capable of playing those roles.

As will I. If they go entirely live-action, it seems very likely that none of the game's voice talents will be there. That won't stop me from going. It may affect my opinion of the film, and it might prejudice me against a performer who is otherwise doing a good job-- but I honestly don't see any way of avoiding that aside from just trying to keep an open mind. But that is not as simple as saying one is going to do it.

: Gaming press at MacWorld? Ha ha ha ha ha!

Heh... okay, fair enough. I was stretching on that one.

: I'm not saying that at all. But if one were to look at Bungie's track record,
: especially in terms of sales and (for lack of a better phrase) mindshare,
: they did not have the high profile of, say, Rare.

Agreed. Not at that time.

: But people are very selective about the performances they choose to remember.
: Alien and Blade Runner were swell, but they're also 20 years old.
: Ridley Scott makes movies like Hannibal and G.I. Jane nowadays.

Let's not go nuts, here. He did Gladiator *after* GI Jane and Black Hawk Down after Hannibal.

While I may agree with your opinions about those two films in particular, it's not as if you can show that Scott's films have uniformly decreased in quality over time. After Alien and Blade Runner, he did the absolutely terrible Legend, and the pretty boring Black Rain, but then did Thelma and Louise.

: I didn't say they were incapable. I'm sure they'd do a very workmanlike job.
: I just said it would be safe, predictable and boring. :-)

Workmanlike? Who exactly do you want directing here, Luis Bunuel?

You're saying that as if somehow Halo, as a film, is capable of being something an order of magnitude more innovative and risk-taking than the source material it was based on. As much as I love the game, I really don't see a basis for such a claim. If they're able to make a decent action flick where every line doesn't induce a wince, where the plot doesn't have gaping holes, that actually takes place in locales that look like where the game took place, where they don't throw out the central concept of the game and replace it with resident evil's, and where the costumes don't look like they were made out of recycled novelty plastic dog crap, then they'll be way ahead of the game.

To reach back to something you said earlier in the thread-- I also hope that the Halo film breaks the mold of bad game adaptations.

I'll suggest something slightly different, though: in that if it becomes a "safe, predictable"-- and in your words, boring-- film, it will have done at least that much, because the vast majority of previous adaptations are nothing less than unqualified dreck. They're awful.

Doom, for instance, doesn't even rate as a competent film. It's a mess. It wouldn't have grossed dollar one without the "Doom" mark. And despite that, they gutted it of any real similarity to the admittedly threadbare Doom universe and inserted a bunch of random crap that made no sense.

If Halo is 80% as good as Aliens was it'll be a major accomplishment. That doesn't mean it can't be better than that, or that they shouldn't try. But you're dangling the spectre of "safe, predictable action flick" out there as if this is the worst thing that can happen-- when what we've seen so far is that it is FAR from the worst thing that could happen.

: Because I've already experienced the latter. Regardless of who
: directs/writes/acts/etc., the Halo movie is probably going to be about a
: tough guy in a green suit who shoots a lot of mean aliens. And there's
: already a lot of well-executed story stuff floating around in my
: consciousness. So I have this preexisting knowledge of what Halo is all
: about. And while I want the movie to jibe with what I already know, I
: don't want to feel like I've seen it all before.

I honestly think it would be a mistake for them to try and do that with the film. They're going to have two audience groups to please: fans of the game, and those who don't know the game but are just going to see a reasonably big-budget science fiction flick with marines and aliens.

Staying true enough to source material already loved by fans is tough. Peter Jackson probably knows this as well or better than any filmmaker alive at this moment. Parsing my own reactions to the leaked script, for instance, I came up with major objections. No snowfields of AotCR? No swamp of 343GS? No control room? How is this Halo?

Then, they'll have to take into account those who have no background in Halo at all.

To try and do a third thing-- put some new spin on the material so that those steeped in it are not bored, including some of its creators-- strikes me as an unachievably ambitious goal.

I also think there's an extra challenge in Halo that LotR did not present, as an adaptation.

Much was made of the difficulty in producing visual images for something that was previously only a written text and the imagination of the reader. Sure, there were artists over the years that did pieces based on LoTR, some of them well-loved; but for the most part, it was wide open.

Halo, however, already has concrete visuals. We know what a plasma rifle looks like. We know what Cortana looks like. Making those things look good in film is going to be hard enough. No doubt they will be tempted to make changes. And then whether the film is good or not is going to end up taking backseat to the arguments about whether or not they got Cortana's color right, or whether the plasma rifle model was the wrong size.

: One can't say definitively either way. The rose-colored glasses don't seem
: any worse to me than the dun-colored glasses of the pessimists. It's too
: early to say they've dodged a bullet - and it's also too early to say
: they've blown it. I won't know until I see the movie. So I reserve
: judgment but occasionally play devil's advocate.

I don't say they've blown it, either. I do say they are taking a calculated risk, and one that may indicate a lowering of expectations for the film from those backing it.

-Narc

Halo 3 Articles

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Director AnnouncedCornballer 8/9/06 11:25 a.m.
     For anyone who wants a taste of his style...Ename Nep 8/9/06 11:29 a.m.
           Great...hminn 8/9/06 11:42 a.m.
           Ahh, he made the 'transformer' Citroen advert.Bry 8/9/06 11:46 a.m.
                 Re: Ahh, he made the 'transformer' Citroen advert.Echoes 8/9/06 5:06 p.m.
           Very interestingJillybean 8/9/06 12:02 p.m.
                 Re: Very interestingStonesand 8/9/06 3:47 p.m.
                       Re: Very interestingJillybean 8/9/06 3:57 p.m.
                             Re: Very interestingPeptuck 8/9/06 4:14 p.m.
                                   Re: Very interestingJillybean 8/9/06 4:33 p.m.
                                         Re: Very interestingDMDyet 8/9/06 4:55 p.m.
                                               Re: Very interestingEndbringer 8/9/06 5:15 p.m.
                                                     Re: Very interestingJillybean 8/9/06 5:31 p.m.
                                                           Re: Very interestingEndbringer 8/9/06 5:44 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Very interestingJillybean 8/9/06 5:59 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Very interestingEndbringer 8/9/06 6:09 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Very interestingBry 8/9/06 6:12 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Very interestingGryphonosiris 8/9/06 6:21 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Very interestingBry 8/9/06 6:31 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Very interestingJillybean 8/9/06 6:35 p.m.
                                                                                         Re: Very interestingDMDyet 8/9/06 11:31 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: Very interestingKiloh Ekim 8/9/06 8:45 p.m.
                                                           Re: Very interestingDMDyet 8/9/06 11:29 p.m.
           Re: For anyone who wants a taste of his style...Dan Chosich 8/9/06 12:06 p.m.
           Re: For anyone who wants a taste of his style...Quantum 8/9/06 1:20 p.m.
           Impressive.Peptuck 8/9/06 2:21 p.m.
           Very impressiveEndbringer 8/9/06 2:50 p.m.
     Re: Halo Director Announcedhminn 8/9/06 11:32 a.m.
           Re: Halo Director AnnouncedJoEsMhOe 8/9/06 11:56 a.m.
     Re: Halo Director AnnouncedDeepblue 8/9/06 11:42 a.m.
     Citreon man?Jillybean 8/9/06 11:54 a.m.
     Neill Blomkamp's worksSlith 8/9/06 11:55 a.m.
           Re: Oh no way.Dan Chosich 8/9/06 12:20 p.m.
                 Re: Oh no way.Tempus Fugit 8/9/06 12:32 p.m.
           Machinima Challenge!Quantum 8/9/06 1:38 p.m.
                 Re: Machinima Challenge!Gryphonosiris 8/9/06 3:33 p.m.
                       Re: Machinima Challenge!Gordon Freeman 8/10/06 12:32 a.m.
                 I'd do it.Spartan Jag 8/9/06 4:35 p.m.
           Nike Crab Commercialsorahn 8/9/06 2:29 p.m.
           Re: Neill Blomkamp's worksdolbex 8/9/06 3:32 p.m.
     Episodes of Dark Angel...CYBRFRK 8/9/06 11:59 a.m.
           Re: Episodes of Dark Angel...Jillybean 8/9/06 3:42 p.m.
     Awesome!RC Master 8/9/06 12:10 p.m.
     Cool! *NM*Stuntmutt 8/9/06 12:31 p.m.
     Re: Halo Director AnnouncedHypersoldier 8/9/06 12:47 p.m.
           Re: Halo Director AnnouncedGryphonosiris 8/9/06 12:58 p.m.
     So do we think...Stuntmutt 8/9/06 12:57 p.m.
           Re: So do we think...Billstrom 8/9/06 1:28 p.m.
                 Re: So do we think...Dojorkan 8/9/06 1:33 p.m.
                       Re: So do we think...Billstrom 8/9/06 1:36 p.m.
                             Re: So do we think...TFP 8/10/06 10:07 p.m.
           Steve Downes FTW! *NM*GhaleonEB 8/9/06 2:46 p.m.
                 Thirded! and marty does the soundtrack! *NM*Billstrom 8/9/06 2:51 p.m.
           And some other cluesJillybean 8/9/06 3:39 p.m.
     I cant get enough of that fight scene!!!Grey Wolf 8/9/06 1:40 p.m.
     Re: Halo Director Announcedagdtinman 8/9/06 2:43 p.m.
           I SECOND STEVE DOWNES FTW *NM*Jayshum 8/9/06 2:50 p.m.
           Re: Halo Director AnnouncedSPARTACVS 8/9/06 2:59 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Director AnnouncedSteveOll 8/9/06 3:17 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Director AnnouncedTFP 8/10/06 10:13 p.m.
     Doubts...Roger Wilco 8/9/06 3:25 p.m.
           Re: Doubts...Billstrom 8/9/06 3:29 p.m.
                 Re: Doubts...Spartan Jag 8/9/06 4:43 p.m.
           Piffle!Stuntmutt 8/9/06 3:40 p.m.
                 Pishaw!Roger Wilco 8/9/06 3:52 p.m.
                       Re: Pishaw!Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 8/9/06 4:02 p.m.
                             Re: Pishaw!Jillybean 8/9/06 4:03 p.m.
                                   Re: Pishaw!Slimby 8/11/06 6:11 a.m.
                             Re: Rabble rabble rabble!gspawn 8/9/06 4:57 p.m.
                       Re: Pishaw!Bachus 8/10/06 7:37 p.m.
           Re: Doubts...Matt 8/9/06 4:11 p.m.
                 Re: Doubts...Stuntmutt 8/9/06 5:05 p.m.
                       ?Miguel Chavez 8/9/06 7:16 p.m.
                 Re: Doubts...Jayshum 8/9/06 5:39 p.m.
                       Re: Doubts...RobW 8/9/06 6:02 p.m.
                 Re: Doubts...Roger Wilco 8/9/06 6:42 p.m.
           Re: Doubts...meleeman 8/10/06 12:01 a.m.
                 Re: Doubts...Dr Sky tower 8/10/06 7:28 p.m.
                       Re: Doubts...Matt 8/10/06 10:02 p.m.
                             Re: Doubts...TFP 8/10/06 10:22 p.m.
                                   Re: Doubts...Matt 8/10/06 10:51 p.m.
                                   Re: Doubts...Tarrsk 8/11/06 12:15 a.m.
                                         Re: Doubts...Narcogen 8/11/06 3:28 a.m.
                             straw men make good burnin'Narcogen 8/11/06 3:26 a.m.
                                   Re: straw men make good burnin'Stephen L. (SoundEffect) 8/11/06 8:00 a.m.
                                   Re: straw men make good burnin'Matt 8/11/06 11:37 a.m.
                                         meh...as long as the movie turns out to be good... *NM*TFP 8/11/06 3:43 p.m.
                                         Re: straw men make good burnin'Roger Wilco 8/11/06 6:11 p.m.
                                               Re: straw men make good burnin'Matt 8/11/06 7:42 p.m.
                                                     Re: straw men make good burnin'Stuntmutt 8/12/06 4:26 a.m.
                                                           Re: straw men make good burnin'Narcogen 8/12/06 9:57 p.m.
                                         Predictable?Narcogen 8/12/06 9:55 p.m.
                                               Re: Predictable?Matt 8/14/06 11:43 a.m.
                                                     One could only hope.Narcogen 8/15/06 12:17 a.m.
                                                           you both are boring meMiguel Chavez 8/15/06 1:02 a.m.
                                                                 Re: you both are boring meNarcogen 8/15/06 11:07 p.m.
                                                                       Re: you talk like old people ****.Blackstar 8/16/06 7:07 a.m.
                                                           Re: One could only hope.Matt 8/16/06 8:50 a.m.
                                                                 Re: One could only hope.Louis Wu 8/16/06 8:56 a.m.
                                                                 Re: One could only hope.Miguel Chavez 8/16/06 12:01 p.m.
                                                                 Auteur! Auteur! *NM*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 8/16/06 12:37 p.m.
     Re: Halo Director Announcedjdogmoney 8/9/06 4:56 p.m.
     Re: Halo Director AnnouncedPaul 8/9/06 5:22 p.m.
     Re: Halo Director AnnouncedEchoes 8/9/06 5:22 p.m.
     Page Not Found?Dt7 8/9/06 6:31 p.m.
           Re: Page Not Found?Jillybean 8/9/06 6:36 p.m.
           Re: Page Not Found?Hookednhalo 8/9/06 7:17 p.m.
                 Re: Page Not Found?Endbringer 8/9/06 8:07 p.m.
                       Re: Page Not Found?Juan_Anselm 8/9/06 8:15 p.m.
                       Re: Page Not Found?KLind 8/9/06 9:33 p.m.
                             Ain't It Cool interview...Mid7night 8/11/06 4:10 p.m.
           Re: Page Not Found?DarkSim 8/9/06 8:48 p.m.
           Engadget has moresorahn 8/10/06 1:16 a.m.
     Re: Halo Director AnnouncedMuffinking 8/9/06 8:47 p.m.
           Thumbs up, yo.Meyeselph 8/9/06 9:01 p.m.
     Anyone Happen To Save The Article?Xmoose 8/9/06 11:26 p.m.
           Yeah.Spenser 8/10/06 12:54 a.m.
                 Awesome, Thanks *NM*Xmoose 8/10/06 5:54 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.