Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty Spark
Posted By: Geoff Chang <greyalpha@gmail.com>Date: 6/15/06 9:23 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty Spark (David Steingarten)

: BUT: It's a little like reading a horoscope. It's philosophy, and it's going
: to be vague. Sure, it's going to have something to say about why people
: act the way they do. So there are some parallels, but reading the
: excerpted passages brought more readily to mind the destruction of our
: environment and the war in Iraq. That is, it brings to mind whatever
: "big" problems we have cached.

I'm going to point out what you said and give top marks to your criticism. Reading Nietzsche IS like reading a horoscope, and you've probably made a lot of people think for themselves insted of jumping on a bandwagon. Also, you didn't sling mud, or make any 'Gay Science' jokes. So bravo.

Thanks to the rest of you for your interest. I'm still only 80% sure that this is a genuine Bungie ref, and not just coincidence. I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but I might bet my cat.

And I didn't actually READ the passage the first time around. I was listening to a UC Berkley Podcast (Phil 7: Existentialism in Literature and Film if you search the Podcast Directory) when I noticed the 343 reference.

If anyone is interested in psych disorders, I'm pretty certain I have a mild (undiagnosed) form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) fixating on numbers. Particularly the number 11. Almost any number will casuse me to break it down and sum its parts to see if it can buld the number 11. I've memorized all 2, 3 and 4 digit combinations, right down to say, 9056 (a sum that gets you 11 two times in a row). I know that I live in my city's 11th police division, and I'm pretty psyched about the year 2009 (but I don't know why). If you think it sounds too crazy to be true, check out the film THX 1183. (8+3=11), which is full of numerical references, and crazy writers/directors. (read: George Lucas). Not to mention The Matrix films, #101, and similarly 'eccentric' writers/directions. 99% of the time, these compulsions are essentially useless for a person to have. But I wonder if, somehow, a loop has been closed this time? Or maybe it's just me...

Message Index

Replies:

Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkGeoff Chang 6/13/06 7:04 p.m.
     Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty Sparkspartanerik 6/14/06 9:53 a.m.
           Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkNevan 6/14/06 10:17 a.m.
     Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkOllie 6/14/06 10:44 a.m.
     Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkDavid Steingarten 6/14/06 11:12 a.m.
           Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkGeoff Chang 6/15/06 9:23 a.m.
     Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkFëanor 6/14/06 11:49 a.m.
           Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkOutsider 6/14/06 12:34 p.m.
     Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkThe Ash 6/14/06 1:25 p.m.
           Re: Halo 1 Story: Nietzsche and 343 Guilty SparkABA 6/14/06 5:59 p.m.
     I think we have a winner! -nt- *NM*AOClaus 6/15/06 2:06 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.