Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Google Earth proves exact location of trailer
Posted By: Jordan117Date: 5/17/06 12:06 a.m.

Before I start, I just want to say that I'm aware that Geoff posted a thread like this. But, looking at the information given by the trailer, I'm convinced that that location is incorrect. Here is where I think the Ark actually is, with substantial proof and no inconsistencies that I can see:

Using the 3D satellite imagery from Google Earth, along with many clues from Bungie, the trailer, and the H2V2 soundtrack, I think I found the precise geographical location where the trailer is supposed to take place ( 3 10' 16.38" S 38 4' 33.22" E ). Here are the clues:

-- Bungie said the mountain behind the Chief is Kilimanjaro
-- They also said that the structures on the far side of the crater are the ruins of New Mombasa, and that the trailer is set many miles inland
-- the H2V2 soundtrack has a track called "Road to Voi". Voi is a small Kenyan trading town about halfway between Mombasa and Kilimanjaro

Using these clues, I examined this general area around Voi in Google Earth, and found one spot that fits the trailer's setting almost exactly. At this location at eye level looking west, two small foothills flank the distant Kilimanjaro the same way they do in the trailer. Also, looking in the opposite direction, one has a clear view of Mombasa. And the space in between this spot and the distant city, where the Ark is buried in the trailer? The pristine wilderness of Tsavo National Park, a place where a giant artifact could definitely go undetected for centuries. Furthermore, at the edge of the location I found, there is some kind of geological seam, which lies in the same place as the sharp drop-off to the crater in the trailer.

If you want to see all this for yourself, the coordinates for the spot are:

3 10' 16.38" S 38 4' 33.22" E

The two nearby hills are the two you see to the left and right of Kilimanjaro in the trailer. Kilimanjaro is to the west, Mombasa is to the southeast. For people who think that the city looks too close in the trailer (in Google Earth Mombasa is over 100 miles away), I think that those structures seen on the far side of the crater in the trailer are actually buildings in Voi. It is possible that by 2552 the city of New Mombasa has spread out far enough that Voi could be considered an outer suburb, explaining why Frankie referred to the ruins as New Mombasa in the Weekly Update.

Now as for Geoff's post, I think he's got the wrong spot, as others have pointed out. In the trailer the Chief walks directly towards the camera; Kilimanjaro is behind him and to the left. When the camera swings around, it shows him facing directly towards New Mombasa in the distance. But according to Geoff's map, if the Chief walked away from Kilimanjaro at this location in the same manner, then the city would be all the way to the left side of the crater, almost behind him. It also doesn't answer the question of why the Ark was never detected.

So, in light of this, I'm sure that this is the spot Bungie chose. The mountains match, the national park is right there, and the city is in the right direction.

LINKS & IMAGES:
Geoff's original Google Earth post:
http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=709467

Google Maps link:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=3%C2%B010%2716.38%22S+38%C2%B0+4%2733.22E

Image comparing trailer mountains with Google Earth's mountains:
http://nikon.bungie.org/images/googleearth_h3spec/kilimanjaro1ji.jpg

Overview map, with relevant landmarks indicated:
http://nikon.bungie.org/images/googleearth_h3spec/overview6tm.jpg

Message Index

Replies:

Google Earth proves exact location of trailerJordan117 5/17/06 12:06 a.m.
     nice! *NM*Miguel Chavez 5/17/06 12:30 a.m.
     Fixed map linkDarkendes 5/17/06 12:38 a.m.
           Re: Fixed map linkJordan117 5/17/06 12:45 a.m.
     Helpful map *img*j41m3z 5/17/06 12:49 a.m.
           Why not between Voi and Mombasa?Narcogen 5/17/06 3:56 a.m.
                 Re: Why not between Voi and Mombasa?Schedonnardus 5/17/06 11:22 a.m.
                 Re: Why not between Voi and Mombasa?Jordan117 5/17/06 6:47 p.m.
     Very nice presentationOrculer 5/17/06 1:08 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.