Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Much ado over a minor side point
Posted By: Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) <sumpca@yahoo.com>Date: 3/21/06 6:20 p.m.

In Response To: "I've smelled that stench before..." (Spartan Jag)

: So far, the
: Covenant aren't very well prepared against the Flood, it would seem
: (Projectile weapons work better then Plasma), maybe this isn't the
: dozenth/hundreth time.

There's three points that argue against the Covenant being new to dealing with the Flood, though they're kinda shaky.

The first point would be iron-clad if I could find the reference again... an interview with someone from Bungie which mentioned that the Covenant have a long history with the Flood. Alas, I cannot; I seem to have failed to bookmark it, I can't find it on t3h s3rch, and I can't seem to get through to the HSP right now. (Can anybody fill in the blank?)

The second point is the needler. When you're wending your way down to the Flood Lab in the level "343 Guilty Spark", there's a huge cache of needler ammunition under one of the doors. One pass through I decided it was a hint and tried out the needler against the Flood, and it worked reasonably well at range. Sword and needler make a pretty good combo against the Flood in Halo 2, actually; it's just that (shotgun / sword) + (sentinel beam / carbine) are somewhat faster.

In any case, I'd argue that the needler is far better against the Flood in both games than any other Covenant weapon save the sword (carbine's too tricky against Combat Forms, at least for run-of-the-mill troops, as it must score a hit on the Infection Form... besides, Grunt's can't use 'em) and may be kept around or made just for that purpose.

The third point is the Covenant's glassing of planets. It's fantastically wasteful as an attack against Humans; it takes a lot of time and uses absurd quantities of energy far beyond what's required just to exterminate us or destroy our civilization. However, if you're trying to incinerate anything that might be contaminated by Flood spores it's the only way to be sure there won't be a reinfection behind your quarantine line. I think glassing was developed as an anti-Flood tactic that crept into Covenant battle doctrine as a way to expunge taint.

I had a fourth point, but while searching and writing I seem to have forgotten it.

-- Steve's thinking that Sparky may have had it right. Did it just get cold in here? *shiver*

The Northwest London Gamers' Group

Message Index

Replies:

"I've smelled that stench before..."Spartan Jag 3/21/06 11:05 a.m.
     Coolness: AGREED *NM*Andrew Nagy 3/21/06 11:07 a.m.
     Slick idea :) *NM*Finn 3/21/06 11:57 a.m.
     Re: "I've smelled that stench before..."Urban Reflex 3/21/06 12:35 p.m.
           Re: "I've smelled that stench before..."jman571 3/21/06 12:57 p.m.
                 Re: "I've smelled that stench before..."Cthulhu117 3/21/06 2:13 p.m.
                 Re: "I've smelled that stench before..."Ryan Broxterman 3/21/06 2:13 p.m.
                 Re: "I've smelled that stench before..."Black Guard 3/22/06 12:49 a.m.
     Wasn't me...Jammerfer 3/21/06 2:13 p.m.
           Re: Wasn't me...Schedonnardus 3/21/06 2:57 p.m.
                 I was thinking the same thingShortRoundMcfly 3/21/06 3:13 p.m.
           Re: Wasn't me...Peptuck 3/21/06 3:32 p.m.
     Another potential hint:Spartan Jag 3/21/06 4:41 p.m.
           Re: Another potential hint:Peptuck 3/21/06 4:46 p.m.
                 Re: Another potential hint:Spartan Jag 3/21/06 5:14 p.m.
     Much ado over a minor side pointAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 3/21/06 6:20 p.m.
           Re: Much ado over a minor side pointSpartan Jag 3/22/06 9:09 a.m.
           Re: Much ado over a minor side pointmnemesis 3/22/06 11:03 a.m.
                 Re: Much ado over a minor side pointAndrew Nagy 3/22/06 3:37 p.m.
           Re: Much ado over a minor side pointAndrew Nagy 3/22/06 11:03 a.m.
                 Re: Much ado over a minor side pointLouis Wu 3/22/06 11:38 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.