Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Nothing to talk about?
Posted By: Narcogen <narcogen@rampancy.net>Date: 3/12/06 10:44 p.m.

In Response To: Re: I didn't bother reading your comment (MSN)

: Or maybe we don't have anything we want to talk about yet.

I think that's assumed. The question for months now has been why there isn't anything Bungie wants to talk about. Especially when Frankie is writing that things are going so well and there are so many cool things and that he wants to talk about them but he can't.

That creates the impression that not only does Microsoft want to talk about some new project that may or may not be "Halo 3" but can't (or rather does, but then recants) because Bungie hasn't announced it, but that individual employees also want to talk about this new project, while others say that there isn't anything they want to talk about.

There either is, or is not, a pink elephant in the room. I think many of us would just like it acknowledged whether or not it's really there, even if we don't get any details whatsoever on what kind of pink elephant it is or when it is going to be released in stores. If it's there, we can reassure ourselves that we're not seeing things. If it's not, we can all go back to our twelve-step programs and try to put our lives back together.

Forgive a poor fan for feeling confused. Even for those who have followed Bungie since before Halo, this is a rather novel situation.

After Myth 2 shipped there was a gap before Halo was officially announced. Given that the Halo engine originally was intended as a replacement for the Myth engine, there was an understandable period of doubt about whether Bungie was continuing that series or doing something entirely new.

However, the conclusion of Myth 2 arrived at a more or less satisfactory logical and dramatic conclusion, unlike Halo 2. In addition, the hardware platforms that Myth 2 ran on, Windows and MacOS, were not financially depending on another installment of that series to provide the bulk of their sales, unlike the Xbox and Xbox 360.

It's beyond just not wanting to talk about anything, but a question of whether or not Bungie will confirm or deny multiple statements made by other well-placed people in Microsoft's management structure to the effect that Bungie is working on a game that for practical purposes may be referred to as "Halo 3".

Bungie's insistence that those statements were to be disregarded as only Bungie will announce what Bungie is working on can, is, and will be interpreted differently depending on what the final announcement actually is.

If Bungie eventually does announce that it is, and has been, working on a game that for all practical purposes may be referred to as "Halo 3" then there will certainly be those who will come to the conclusion that Bungie is not, in fact, a completely autonomous unit within Microsoft free to do whatever it wishes (within reason) but is at the disposal of the corporation which owns it and is bound to follow its instructions.

This is a fairly logical conclusion to make. I imagine most people, given the financial success of Halo 1 and Halo 2, would choose to develop a third installment of the series were they in Microsoft's position.

One may conclude that Bungie wished to maintain the appearance of autonomy, and perhaps even express its displeasure with Microsoft's premature statements, by forcing those people to eat their words and then entering a long period of enforced silence.

Given that such a game as "Halo 3" would be highly anticipated, if Bungie should choose not to develop it at this time, it seems logical to assume that such an announcement would be made earlier rather than later to stem the tide of those who were expecting that the next project would be Halo 3 , irrespective of Microsoft's own announcements. Many gamers I think came to the conclusion that Bungie did intend to develop a third game based solely on the way in which the second ended, which was far more open-ended than the first. The latter merely left the door open for sequels, where the former practically demands it.

One may posit a situation in which Bungie makes absolutely no announcements until the current project is actually finished and shipping to stores. Gamers arrive on site to purchase the new Bungie game and find, to their surprise and possible chagrin, that it is not Halo 3. Violence ensues.

Bungie staffers did make statements to the effect that Bungie would be pursuing other non-Halo projects after shipping Halo 2. These statements were later replaced with the now-standard mantra that nothing has been announced. I don't think it's going out on much of a limb to say that this represents either a change in direction (that is, Bungie was going to work on other projects, but is now instead working on Halo 3) or a desire to create the impression that this change has taken place.

I recognize that Bungie has no responsibility to gamers to make "Halo 3" or any other game-- or indeed to fulfill any whim of the market. We paid our money for the games we already have-- either we like them or we don't and that's it.

It is also more than likely that any rancor generated by this silence will evaporate the instant any announcement is made that Halo 3 is in development. Should an announcement be made that it is not, I think people will wonder why that announcement took so long to make, and then I suppose the conspiracy theorists will really start having a field day.

The whole thing from the release of Halo 2 up until now reminds me of a dialogue exchange in one of my favorite movies, "Blazing Saddles", between the know-nothing, philandering Governor, played by Mel Brooks, and Hedley Lamarr, played by Harvey Korman.

It goes something like this:

Hedley Lamarr: Meeting adjourned! Oh, I am sorry sir, I didn't mean to overstep my bounds; you say that.
Governor Lepetomane: Say what?
Hedley Lamarr: Meeting is adjourned.
Governor Lepetomane: It is?
Hedley Lamarr: No, you say that, governor!
Governor Lepetomane: What?
Hedley Lamarr: Meeting is adjourned!
Governor Lepetomane: It is?
Hedley Lamarr: Here sir, play with this! [Hands the governor a rubber ball and paddle set.]

The phrase "Halo 3 is in development" as uttered by Bill Gates and others fits nicely into Lamarr's dialogue in place of "meeting is adjourned".

It is?

:-)

Se7en is Darker

Message Index

Replies:

I didn't bother reading the Weekly Updatetsuranuku 3/10/06 11:00 p.m.
     Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateHossBGH 3/10/06 11:03 p.m.
           Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly Updatetsuranuku 3/10/06 11:06 p.m.
                 Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateDojorkan 3/10/06 11:25 p.m.
           Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateGuy Sanders 3/13/06 3:38 p.m.
     Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateKP 3/10/06 11:06 p.m.
     Thanks for the update, Tom.Vironex 3/10/06 11:39 p.m.
     Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateTwelve Large 3/11/06 12:47 a.m.
     I didn't bother reading your commentNarcogen 3/11/06 1:42 a.m.
           I didn't bother reading your reply to his comment.stan 3/11/06 3:02 a.m.
           Re: I didn't bother reading your commentSchooly D 3/11/06 4:08 a.m.
                 Re: I didn't bother reading your commentNarcogen 3/11/06 5:40 a.m.
                       Re: I didn't bother reading your commentSchooly D 3/11/06 4:09 p.m.
                             Re: I didn't bother reading your commentmnemesis 3/11/06 5:08 p.m.
                                   Re: I didn't bother reading your commentSchooly D 3/11/06 5:45 p.m.
                       Re: I didn't bother reading your commentMSN 3/12/06 5:36 p.m.
                             Nothing to talk about?Narcogen 3/12/06 10:44 p.m.
                                   Re: Nothing to talk about?MSN 3/12/06 11:36 p.m.
                                   Re: Nothing to talk about?Miguel Chavez 3/13/06 12:56 a.m.
                                         Re: Nothing to talk about?Narcogen 3/13/06 1:22 a.m.
                                               Re: Nothing to talk about?Ma1agate 3/13/06 9:50 a.m.
                                   Re: Nothing to talk about?Dhud 3/13/06 11:00 a.m.
                                   Well said. *NM*c0ld vengeance 3/13/06 12:12 p.m.
                                   I agree! *NM*Schooly D 3/13/06 12:28 p.m.
                                         Re: I agree! *NM*mnemesis 3/13/06 12:44 p.m.
                                               You're a ho.Schooly D 3/13/06 1:13 p.m.
                                                     It's "You's" *NM*Hawaiian Pig 3/13/06 1:43 p.m.
                                                           Schoo's a ho. *NM*KP 3/13/06 1:58 p.m.
                                   Re: Nothing to talk about?DarkestHour 3/13/06 1:08 p.m.
                                   Delayed for what reason?Hawaiian Pig 3/13/06 1:11 p.m.
                                         As a side note...Hawaiian Pig 3/13/06 1:20 p.m.
                                               Re: As a side note...Ma1agate 3/13/06 2:19 p.m.
                                                     Re: As a side note...Narcogen 3/13/06 7:42 p.m.
                                                           Re: As a side note...tsuranuku 3/13/06 8:00 p.m.
                                               Halo 2 announcement timingNarcogen 3/13/06 7:40 p.m.
                                         good god, this thread is huge. *NM*MasterCheifn 3/14/06 7:36 a.m.
                                   Re: Nothing to talk about?Zenmasta 3/13/06 1:37 p.m.
                                   Re: I still prefer "stfu"gspawn 3/13/06 3:23 p.m.
                                   Well...Spenser 3/13/06 4:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Nothing to talk about?Icebreaker117 3/13/06 5:26 p.m.
                                   Re: Nothing to talk about?elessar787 3/13/06 5:30 p.m.
                                   Re: Nothing to talk about?Brodingo 3/13/06 6:05 p.m.
                                   Wow I didn't check this thread for several days!tsuranuku 3/13/06 7:24 p.m.
                 methinks you jumped the gun thereMiguel Chavez 3/11/06 2:42 p.m.
                       Re: methinks you jumped the gun thereSchooly D 3/11/06 4:10 p.m.
           Re: I didn't bother reading your commentCaptain Spark 3/13/06 9:38 a.m.
                 Re: I didn't bother reading your commentJim Shorts 3/13/06 10:14 a.m.
                 Re: I didn't bother reading your commentc0ld vengeance 3/13/06 10:43 a.m.
                       Re: I didn't bother reading your commentCaptain Spark 3/13/06 11:12 a.m.
                             Re: I didn't bother reading your commentNarcogen 3/15/06 4:02 a.m.
     Re: I didn't bother reading...vshields ash 3/11/06 4:42 a.m.
           I can't read. *NM*Stuntmutt 3/11/06 5:58 a.m.
                 That Explains Alot! *NM*Sparkypinball 3/15/06 5:13 a.m.
     Insert generic rebuttal here. *NM*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 3/11/06 6:56 a.m.
           Re: Insert generic rebuttal here.Twelve Large 3/12/06 2:50 a.m.
     Re: Bungie "has to" release more info!gspawn 3/11/06 10:21 a.m.
     Re: I didn't bother etc etchminn 3/11/06 12:18 p.m.
           Thank you. *NM*Spenser 3/11/06 12:38 p.m.
     I didn't bother reading this threadMichael M. 3/13/06 1:00 a.m.
           I can't believe I just read this thread *NM* *NM*Zelp 3/13/06 10:57 a.m.
     Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateCody Miller 3/13/06 11:00 a.m.
           Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateLouis Wu 3/13/06 11:05 a.m.
           Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateShishka 3/13/06 12:15 p.m.
                 Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateDucain 3/13/06 1:39 p.m.
                       Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateShishka 3/13/06 2:31 p.m.
                             Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateDanteThePoet 3/13/06 2:56 p.m.
                                   Err, I meant Ducain, not SchoolyDanteThePoet 3/13/06 2:58 p.m.
                             Re: What Shiska SaidCocopjojo 3/13/06 3:10 p.m.
                                   Dante, you said it as I typed it. *NM*Cocopjojo 3/13/06 3:11 p.m.
                                   Except Gnop 2..for the 360...in 4D and HD *NM*DanteThePoet 3/13/06 3:16 p.m.
                                   Re: What Shiska SaidPeptuck 3/13/06 3:28 p.m.
                                         Re: What Shiska SaidCocopjojo 3/13/06 3:36 p.m.
                                         Re: What Shiska SaidDanteThePoet 3/13/06 3:40 p.m.
                             Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateDucain 3/13/06 3:53 p.m.
                             Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateMike Selling (aka Quantifier) 3/13/06 6:18 p.m.
                             What 99% of us fan's really want..[TD] JR007 3/13/06 8:58 p.m.
                 Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateCody Miller 3/13/06 3:14 p.m.
                 Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateNarcogen 3/13/06 8:09 p.m.
           Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateFrankie 3/13/06 12:29 p.m.
                 Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateCaptain Spark 3/13/06 12:40 p.m.
                       Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly Updatemnemesis 3/13/06 1:03 p.m.
                             Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateCaptain Spark 3/13/06 1:20 p.m.
                                   Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateJLChief 3/13/06 2:44 p.m.
                                         Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateEchoes 3/13/06 2:47 p.m.
                                               Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 3/13/06 2:58 p.m.
                                                     Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateDanteThePoet 3/13/06 3:08 p.m.
                                                           I read the pictures *NM*Pak 3/13/06 3:16 p.m.
                 my Update Requestmr_mcmurder 3/13/06 12:58 p.m.
                 Human Natureyakaman 3/13/06 1:24 p.m.
                 That's not a misspelling, that's a Freudian slip!Ma1agate 3/13/06 1:28 p.m.
                 Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateCocopjojo 3/13/06 3:17 p.m.
                 I love Bungie.Ryan Broxterman 3/13/06 4:44 p.m.
                       Right on! *NM*Cocopjojo 3/13/06 4:55 p.m.
                 Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateMike Selling (aka Quantifier) 3/13/06 6:21 p.m.
                       Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateMSN 3/13/06 6:53 p.m.
                             Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateWalshicus 3/13/06 6:58 p.m.
                             Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateSpartan Jag 3/13/06 7:27 p.m.
           UpdatesNarcogen 3/13/06 8:06 p.m.
     Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly Update{SS}Zag1 3/13/06 11:57 a.m.
           Re: I didn't bother reading the Weekly UpdateCocopjojo 3/13/06 3:22 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.