Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-up
Posted By: Peptuck <peptuck3@hotmail.com>Date: 3/6/06 10:31 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-up (Narcogen)

: Thanks! Always nice to know people read it.

: [snip]

: I had wondered if that was the case. The voice that says to split them up
: sounded to me like Tartarus, though, so I assumed that even if I couldn't
: see him, that he was there.

Tartarus was talking over the radio. I assume that what you heard on the platform is simply overhearing the radio transmission, or

: However, even within that fiction this explanation just raises more questions
: than it answers. Presumably, before the changing of the guard, the Elites
: "outranked" the Brutes, at least in terms of their proximity and
: service to the Prophets. The Honor Guard certainly do. The head of the
: Honor Guard, or the highest of the Elite councilors, would presumably
: outrank Tartarus. Perhaps he has such a shield-- we won't know, since we
: don't ever see him. Unless it's Half-Jaw, in which case we have to wonder
: why, even prior to the changing of the guard, he doesn't have one.

: One might assume that Tartarus himself, as Chieftain of the Brutes, as you
: suggest holds this shield because no one else rates it. I think this goes
: a bit too far down the road of ignorance to be palatable. Tartarus knows
: what is coming. He's been ordered to betray the Arbiter, and was likely
: expecting to be able to unseat the Elites even earlier than that-- hence
: his disappointment at being told to leave the Mausoleum of the Arbiter
: earlier in the game.

: For Tartarus to deliberately deprive all the Brutes under his command by
: making himself the only Brute to have a shield just to enhance his own
: personal status-- potentially placing his troops at a disadvantage against
: the Elites in the coming conflict-- would be beyond ignorance.

No, no, no. There's an inherent problem with this line of thought.

You're going about this from the perspective of a human who exists outside a ridiculously strict religious caste system. The Covenant, for all their tech, are a theocratic, medievilly structured caste with specialized roles. In that type of society, having a weapon like the Fist of Rukt defines a person's position.

Tartarus is the Brute Chieftian. Only the Brute Chieftian can carry the Fist of Rukt and reap the benefits. Giving that type of weapon to any other Brute would invariably challenge his power base, and, considering how primitive Brutes are socially, probably be considered blasphemy.

As far as the Covenant are concerned, only one of Tartarus' position gets such a shield. Similarly, only Elites get energy shields and swords, only Jackals get shields, and Grunts get nothing but a dinky plasma pistol.

Remember: caste is EVERYTHING in the Covenant. Caste overrides everything else, even - and especially - good military sense. After all, look at how they handle their weapons and space technology. Ignorance is the norm for the Covenant.

: I'll have to try this myself. I swear I emptied beam rifles into him at one
: point and observed no effect. Difficulty shouldn't matter that much. From
: the last play, it seems that it takes Johnson only two hits from the beam
: rifle to drop the shield on heroic, whereas the full three are required on
: Legendary. However this might be a trick of my eyes.

On Legendary it won't work, but on other difficulties it does. But that's because Legendary is "lol unfair" mode.

Message Index

Replies:

Narcogen's Great Journey write-upPeptuck 3/5/06 10:21 p.m.
     Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upConstruct-III (aka: AI Con.) 3/5/06 10:30 p.m.
           Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upMrAlexZander 3/6/06 1:37 a.m.
     Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upNarcogen 3/6/06 4:13 a.m.
           Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upDojorkan 3/6/06 6:32 a.m.
           Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 3/6/06 7:28 a.m.
           Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upc0ld vengeance 3/6/06 7:28 a.m.
                 Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upBodie 3/6/06 7:51 a.m.
                       Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upc0ld vengeance 3/6/06 10:16 a.m.
                       Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upNarcogen 3/6/06 7:40 p.m.
                             Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upThe Freeloader 3/6/06 7:44 p.m.
                 Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upNarcogen 3/6/06 10:03 a.m.
                       Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upInteractive Civilian 3/8/06 4:57 a.m.
           Re: Narcogen's Great Journey write-upPeptuck 3/6/06 10:31 a.m.
                 Caste OffNarcogen 3/6/06 7:48 p.m.
                       Re: Caste OffPeptuck 3/6/06 9:09 p.m.
                             Re: Caste OffNarcogen 3/6/06 11:49 p.m.
                                   Re: Caste OffStephen L. (SoundEffect) 3/7/06 8:28 a.m.
                                         Re: Caste OffPeptuck 3/7/06 10:50 a.m.
                                               Re: Caste OffNarcogen 3/8/06 4:36 a.m.
           Back with a touch more, but not much.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 3/6/06 11:26 a.m.
                 Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Burr 3/6/06 12:28 p.m.
                 Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Count Zero 3/6/06 2:50 p.m.
                       Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Ragashingo 3/6/06 2:59 p.m.
                       Thirded...-ed. *NM*Ma1agate 3/6/06 3:10 p.m.
                 Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Narcogen 3/6/06 7:51 p.m.
                       Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Construct-III (aka: AI Con.) 3/6/06 8:33 p.m.
                       Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Peptuck 3/6/06 9:11 p.m.
                             Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Narcogen 3/7/06 12:02 a.m.
                       Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 3/7/06 7:09 a.m.
                             Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Narcogen 3/7/06 8:08 a.m.
                                   Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 3/7/06 9:20 a.m.
                                         Re: Back with a touch more, but not much.Narcogen 3/7/06 10:46 a.m.
                 Re: Fist = Supershield?drummand 3/7/06 12:21 p.m.
                       Re: Fist = Supershield?Construct-III (aka: AI Con.) 3/7/06 7:01 p.m.
                       Re: Fist = Supershield?Narcogen 3/8/06 4:40 a.m.
                             Big and hairy = uncomfortablec0ld vengeance 3/8/06 7:45 a.m.
                                   Re: Big and hairy = uncomfortableNarcogen 3/8/06 10:42 a.m.
                                         Re: Big and hairy = uncomfortableMa1agate 3/8/06 2:35 p.m.
                                   Re: Big and hairy = uncomfortableMrAlexZander 3/8/06 4:24 p.m.
                                         Re: Big and hairy = uncomfortableAndrew Nagy 3/9/06 11:41 a.m.
                                               Re: Big and hairy = uncomfortablePeptuck 3/9/06 12:04 p.m.
                             Re: Fist = Supershield?Peptuck 3/8/06 10:58 a.m.
     Re: Narcogen's Gre... Shooting Brutes in a BarrelInteractive Civilian 3/8/06 5:06 a.m.
           Re: Narcogen's Gre... Shooting Brutes in a BarrelNarcogen 3/8/06 10:45 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.