Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journey
Posted By: jman571 <jman571@gmail.com>Date: 12/6/05 10:25 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journey (mrbananas)

: its a religion, so think of this. if the how religion was a false corruption
: by the leaders. how could it last from generation to generation. religous
: leaders rise up due to there strong religios faith. therefore, how do the
: leaders pass the secert done from one leader to the next if the next in
: line has a strong faith. (he will either deny it, or feeling betrayed
: reveil it) the only way you could keep the secert is if you picked and
: chose the next leader before they developed a strong faith. but this would
: raise eyebrows as people wonder, why hasn't dave with his such strong
: devotion not picked over tim who just yesterday was questioning the
: fondation of the religion.

I'm not saying it's only the prophets that know the truth. For example I believe that even Mercy was so caught up in his own rhetoric about the "great journey" and the covenant that he believed it himself. And with that statement comes the fact that people other than prophets knew the truth. However it wouldn't be too ridiculous if let's say the founding prophets that created the covenant knew the 7ruth about the Halos and then for every generation passed it down onto their children or even fewer people, perhaps the Prophet of Truth passes it on to the prophet who takes his place. It makes sense, he is simply the highest person of law in the covenant and thus, knows the "truth" on anything. His word is law.

: Any one who was against the religon was killed as a heretic, what if the most
: devoted of all relgious leaders was getting the secert passed down to him
: and he ratted him out as a heretic. then the secert would die right there.

But the thing is the original prophets have created a system not so much unlike 1984 if I may take the concepts in that book. I'm not sure If you've read it before but there's a mental practice called 'doublethink' where upon the ideas you have and the things you know are shaped by what the government declares is the truth. One day you might know that the high prophet is the highest law and is the absolute truth, the next day he is a heretic who is rejected by the covenant as a whole.

If one prophet ever spilled the beans he would be singled out and would be faced with horrible torture and death. If you were in the position to recieve the highest honour in the covenant and were told the 7ruth about the Halos would you go telling anyone? Hell no, because if you did you'd be dead faster then you can say "Heretic". even if the high prophet let the truth spill then the covenant as a whole would disregard him as a heretic and not believe a word of it, then the other prophets who knew the truth would simply resume the process and pick a new prophet of truth.

So basically, no matter what the covenant populace believes the rheteric put out by the top prophets and there always remains a select group of prophets who know the truth and conceal it.

: Because ultimately, if the truth knew and believed the truth, and maybe the
: ark had some sort of the shield (though i dissuggest it) then it leaves
: the question what would truth gain from purposly killing everyone in the
: galaxy and being the only one left? since nothing beats getting into the
: divine beyond and living in eternal happyiness. i doubt any other
: motavation could convice truth to lose his faith and seek this out.
: despite what guilty spark ever send to me. i would keep my faith strong
: favoring the promise of the great jounery over any thing else.

this I'm not so sure about, what woulds Truth gain from killing all the covenant? not so sure, but probably truth is just crazy from power, he might be so delusional at this point that he feels it would be profitable to have everyone dead and him the master of the galaxy. Or otherwise maybe truth knows something about the ark that no one else knows, not even the Arbiter yet. Perhaps he wants to destroy all life in the galaxy so he can become their rulers later once all the planets are reseeded (presuming the Ark allows him to go into stasis or something)

: you try translating a foreign langue with a book and see if you have much
: luck. if you try to translate word for word, your going to get the
: sentince structure wrong. know try translating it without any previous
: translations in exist. the language in a completely alien language, not a
: clue how grammer works. and no way to know that your right. thats the
: position the prophets were in when they came across the first piece of
: forerunner technology and writing. From that a religion based on an error
: could easily be formed. Then given time, faith in such a religion will
: increase tremodolousy, until you reach the point of when everyone excepts
: it as the absolute truth. Then, even when piece of evidence show up that
: start to condrict you religion show up. the strenght of universal faith
: push it aside.
: Plus, when your key to translating the language were incorrect, then all your
: future translations will be incorrect, and how can anyone truely figure
: out the correct translation.
: ITs like trying to translate a dead language with only the written language
: as your guide. you will notice patterns. but it will take you a long time
: to figure out what those patterns have in common, because you can only
: relate them to other patterns in the words. it will take you a long time
: to make an educated guess that the word is even a noun.

I still thing it's pretty unlikely even a stupid prophet could make out such a ridiculously stupid definition. It just seems hard to believe how mixing up a few words could lead from the text saying that the Halos destroy all sentient life, to the Halos burn a path into the devine beyond. I understand that you made a version where upon the work "reclaim" is mistaken for "claim" or something like that but I'm sure the rest of the manual would be in-depth with ridiculous amount of blue-prints, technology, and detailed operation of the Halo facilities, I think it's kind of obvious that pulse generators won't won't get you into heaven....

Message Index

Replies:

Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/6/05 4:04 p.m.
     Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeyjman571 12/6/05 9:08 p.m.
           Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/6/05 10:00 p.m.
                 Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeyjman571 12/6/05 10:25 p.m.
           Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeysmallwimpykid 12/17/05 11:25 a.m.
     Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyHalolover34 12/6/05 11:04 p.m.
           Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyCapt_Thanas 12/7/05 6:46 a.m.
                 Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyPeptuck 12/7/05 8:12 a.m.
                       Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyCapt_thanas 12/7/05 1:30 p.m.
                             Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyUriah 12/7/05 1:40 p.m.
           Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/7/05 12:42 p.m.
                 Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyUriah 12/7/05 1:46 p.m.
                       Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyPeptuck 12/7/05 1:50 p.m.
                             Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/7/05 2:46 p.m.
                                   Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyPeptuck 12/7/05 3:16 p.m.
                                         Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyRagashingo 12/7/05 3:23 p.m.
                                               Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/7/05 10:18 p.m.
                                                     Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyRagashingo 12/8/05 2:40 p.m.
                                                           Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/8/05 3:38 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyRagashingo 12/8/05 4:26 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/8/05 6:42 p.m.
                                         Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/7/05 4:57 p.m.
                                               ^woopsmrbananas 12/7/05 5:00 p.m.
                       Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/7/05 2:33 p.m.
                             Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyPeptuck 12/7/05 2:36 p.m.
                                   Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/7/05 2:52 p.m.
                                         Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyUriah 12/7/05 3:08 p.m.
                                               Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/7/05 4:15 p.m.
                                                     Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyUriah 12/7/05 5:07 p.m.
                                                           Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/7/05 6:30 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyUriah 12/9/05 1:10 p.m.
                                         Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyRagashingo 12/7/05 3:16 p.m.
                                               Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/7/05 4:25 p.m.
                                                     Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyRagashingo 12/8/05 3:34 p.m.
                                                           Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/8/05 4:53 p.m.
                                         Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneyPeptuck 12/7/05 3:18 p.m.
                                               Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/7/05 4:32 p.m.
     Left behind, other meaning?Freezing Moose 12/9/05 9:52 p.m.
     Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great JourneySedated 12/14/05 11:11 a.m.
           Re: Prophet of Truth and the Great Journeymrbananas 12/14/05 2:49 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.