Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (long
Posted By: scarabDate: 11/4/05 1:26 a.m.

In Response To: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (long) (mrbananas)

I was going to quote your entire post to add that you missed out 'don't' from your last sentence. :)

I think the reasons that gs does not directly call us Forerunner are:

1) It gives the game away far too soon.

2) We are the same species but they are our ancestors (hence Forerunners). We are not anybody's ancestors (yet) so we are not anybody's Forerunner (yet). (Give it a few hundred thousand years and maybe our descendants will call us their Forerunners.)

The reason we are called Reclaimers and our Ancestors are not is because they are dead and are not around to reclaim anything. OTOH we are alive and are expected to reclaim their heritage.

So it makes sense to call us by different names as we have different roles. Confusing the two is not a mistake a little pedant like Sparky would make (well unless the story demanded that he make a mistake :-).

As for the Prophets and Elites being on the same world...

Your explanation is plausible. It must be very rare for two sentient species to evolve at the same time. Except, perhaps, if they had a common ancestor or were locked in an evolutionary 'arms race' to intelligence.

They both have long necks but their jaws are so different that its hard to believe that they share a common ancestor.

Maybe Prophets ancestors were Elite ancestors' prey and they were caughtin an evolutionary arms race that lead to both races developing intelligence in lock-step.

In a big universe anything can happen.

as for humans landing on Earth by accident...

I'm not sure.

It explains a lack of Forerunner tech (which seems to last a very long time). It looks like something went wrong with the Forerunners' plan so ending up on the wrong planet fits the something went wrong part. :)

My only reservations are:

1) We 'fit' this planet, there is a large body of evidence to suggest that we evolved here. Also the mitochondrial eve theory would be consistent with Humans being exterminated and reseeded about 100,000 'local' years ago. I'd like the Halo story to tie into the real world.

2) I can't remember my second reservation, if I even had one. :)

Also

The books suggested that human colonies were found on other worlds with no explanation of how they got there (unless I dreamed that part).

Maybe the Ark seeded several worlds with humans before ending at Earth.

Message Index

Replies:

History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (long)mrbananas 11/3/05 8:53 p.m.
     Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longcypher 11/4/05 1:25 a.m.
           Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longscarab 11/4/05 1:32 a.m.
           Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longmrbananas 11/4/05 11:19 a.m.
                 Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longcypher 11/4/05 5:34 p.m.
     Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longscarab 11/4/05 1:26 a.m.
           Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longStephen L. (SoundEffect) 11/4/05 8:31 a.m.
                 Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longmrbananas 11/4/05 11:42 a.m.
           Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longEarthScorpion 11/4/05 12:22 p.m.
                 Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longGrantix 11/4/05 1:57 p.m.
                       Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longmrbananas 11/4/05 3:12 p.m.
     Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longgryphonosiris 11/4/05 5:44 p.m.
           Re: History of the Ark/Forerunner/Covies/Man (longmrbananas 11/4/05 9:41 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.