Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Making a Deal with the Devil
Posted By: mrbananas <dgreenwood@lacademy.edu>Date: 10/12/05 2:11 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Making a Deal with the Devil (Mattat)

: The trouble is, we don't exactly have the bargaining power in this situation.

we have the greatest bargining chip ever, halo

: Our threat is that we will blow ourselves and every other food source to
: kingdom come. Result for humans - species death, result for gravemind -
: 100,000 years alone again waiting.

well, actualty, it takes more than 100,000 years for evolvution, the flood would starve and die and they only survived because of the forerunner "there survival depended on it" but yes it is a duel sided sword, but its called self sacrifice. we would die, that doesn't me we wouldn't do it. hundreds of people have died for higher causes than there own personal life. if we die, the flood starves,

: Frankly I could see gravemind taking the view, I've waited before, I can wait
: again. Gravemind knows as well as we do that we will never go through with
: the threat while it means wiping out our own species.

well i see graveminds view as "we have wanted too long." been alone for too long, have starved too long for food to be taken away again so soon, we have only just gotten to taste it, don't take it away now.
And you know, death isn't the worse thing. i think starving to death and being isolated in a cage for 100,000 years is much worse than death.

And who is to say humanity would never go through with it. given a rightous cause, humans can be motivated to do anything. people have died in the name of love and freedom. the masterchief fights for humanities freedom from the covenant. as the new hampshire lisense plate says, "live free or die" If the chose is between dying and enslavement by the flood, which would the chief choose. The forerunner chose death over nightmarshish enslavement in a world ruled by the flood. i think humanity could make the same choice too.

: Also the Flood don't seem to be driven by survival, but by
: reproducing/expansion. With an infinite universe (presumably populated)
: they can keep expanding forever, why would they want to limit themselves.
: This ties in with my theory that the reason that the Forerunners set off
: the Halo system was to sacrifice this galaxy for the sake of the Universe.
: The Forerunners may have been capable of inter-galatic travel and had to
: stop the flood from spreading out of the galaxy.

Survival of the species is reproduction, survival of yourself is eating. And do we even know if intergalaxitc travel is possible for the flood. think of it, the flood slowy consumes its host, making it decay into nothing, even in slips space, the galaxies are extremely far apart, i bet that all the hosts would be completely decayed and sucked dry before the flood make it to the next galaxy, without combat forms, no one would be able to pilot the ship out of slipspace. The distance between galaxies is way too big, the travel from one star to the next takes weeks, human couldn't even get to the other side of the galaxy yet. the trip from one galaxy to the next could take maybe a thousand years in slipspace. the host wouldn't last that long, and you defeniatly could raise host aboard the ship because that would take vast amount of supplies which would run out long before athousand years.

The forerunner could have maybe traveled intergalaxic, but not the flood, there life cycle is too short.

Message Index

Replies:

Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/11/05 2:40 p.m.
     Re: Making a Deal with the DevilLagging N00b 10/11/05 2:47 p.m.
           Re: Making a Deal with the Devil7echariah [MS] 10/11/05 2:51 p.m.
                 Appeasement is the path to destructionSchedonnardus 10/11/05 3:02 p.m.
                       Re: Appeasement is the path to destruction7echariah [MS] 10/11/05 3:20 p.m.
                 Re: Making a Deal with the DevilUrsa.Fatty 10/14/05 11:51 p.m.
                       Re: Making a Deal with the Devilbentrider 10/14/05 11:59 p.m.
                             Re: Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/17/05 2:23 p.m.
     Re: Making a Deal with the DevilAnother noobish question from me.. 10/11/05 3:20 p.m.
           Re: Making a Deal with the DevilPeptuck 10/11/05 3:56 p.m.
                 Re: Making a Deal with the DevilManKitten 10/11/05 4:14 p.m.
     Another Noobish question from me.ManKitten 10/11/05 3:23 p.m.
           Re: Another Noobish question from me.Jillybean 10/11/05 4:44 p.m.
           Re: Another Noobish question from me.Rox 10/11/05 4:46 p.m.
                 Re: Another Noobish question from me.Captain Thanas 10/11/05 4:51 p.m.
                       Re: Another Noobish question from me.Echoes 10/11/05 5:09 p.m.
                             Re: Another Noobish question from me.oBlade 10/27/05 8:44 p.m.
                                   Re: Another Noobish question from me.Peptuck 10/27/05 10:39 p.m.
                                         Re: Another Noobish question from me.scarab 10/28/05 8:00 a.m.
                                               Re: Another Noobish question from me.Peptuck 10/28/05 10:45 a.m.
                                                     Re: Another Noobish question from me.Rox 10/28/05 4:16 p.m.
                                                           Re: Another Noobish question from me.scarab 10/28/05 6:41 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Another Noobish question from me.Peptuck 10/28/05 10:56 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Another Noobish question from me.scarab 10/29/05 2:35 p.m.
                                                                             Re: Another Noobish question from me.bentrider 10/29/05 5:31 p.m.
     Re: Making a Deal with the DevilCaptain Thanas 10/11/05 4:47 p.m.
           Re: Making a Deal with the DevilGryphonOsiris 10/11/05 5:33 p.m.
                 Re: Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/11/05 7:05 p.m.
                       Re: Making a Deal with the DevilCatachan 10/11/05 7:35 p.m.
                             Re: Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/11/05 10:34 p.m.
                                   Re: Making a Deal with the DevilCatachan 10/11/05 11:04 p.m.
                                         Re: Making a Deal with the DevilMattat 10/12/05 6:48 a.m.
                                               Re: Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/12/05 2:11 p.m.
                                                     Re: Making a Deal with the DevilR.G Hill 10/26/05 6:29 a.m.
                                                           Re: Making a Deal with the Devilmrbananas 10/27/05 1:44 p.m.
                             Re: Making a Deal with the DeviloBlade 10/27/05 8:54 p.m.
     Halo 3: The NegotiatorMarlfox 555 10/12/05 7:04 a.m.
           Re: Halo 3: The Negotiatormrbananas 10/12/05 2:16 p.m.
                 Re: Halo 3: The NegotiatorJustinian 10/25/05 9:08 a.m.
     Re: Making a Deal with the Devilanduril 10/27/05 10:40 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.