Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: The Ambitions of an AI
Posted By: Dark OneDate: 9/5/05 12:43 p.m.

In Response To: Re: The Ambitions of an AI (Usul)

: Yeah, Gravemind doesn't necessarily have to be an ancient AI, it just makes
: things fit a little more solidly if he is. I think it suffices that there
: is something very odd with Gravemind, even beyond the obvious, not to
: mention the likelihood of his connection to both the Flood and the
: Forerunner.

Well, I originally thought Gravemind was somehow not the Flood. I thought he was actually a Forerunner, but the indication mainly seems to be that he is indeed a Flood and nothing more, save for his status in the Flood.

: To an extent, it's his control over Halo's subsystems that really gets to me
: and leans me over to a deeper connection between him and the Forerunner.
: And I think a connection to the Flood is obvious, though some may
: disagree.

It is curious. There never seems to be a direct correlation made, aside from his ramblings over High Charity's PA system, which really are quite cryptic. He uses "we" in reference to the Flood and the Covenant.

: If Gravemind is Queen Flood, I want to know what makes him special. I imagine
: Cortana does as well, seeing as she's got a lot more at stake here than I
: do.

I consider him closer to the Overmind of Starcraft fame. The Zerg were bug-like creatures which would actually absorbe other races into their race. The Zerg were also an experiment devised by the Xel'Naga, an ancient alien race that also created the Protoss, similar to the Covenant. The Zerg Overmind eventually became manifest on the Protoss homeworld of Auir and continued to absorbe most of the race.

A more interesting correlation is that the Overmind was eventually killed when a group of Terrans, humans, and Protoss, both against their respective races' wishes, teamed up to destroy the Overmind. Tassidar, essentially their most powerful Protoss Templar, sacrifices himself to defeat the Overmind.

Here's something that goes into what you're saying. There's also a Terran called Kerrigan who gets attacked by the Zerg and become an infested Terran. She ends up using the Terrans and Protoss to kill the rebel Cerebrates trying to create a new Overmind and rise to rule over the Zerg. That certainly bears some relevance to your point. It's possible Cortana ultimately has similar goals as Kerrigan.

The idea of Covenant and Humans uniting against the Gravemind also makes abundant sense. Not that it means anything, Starcraft is a completely different game from a completely different company.

Message Index

Replies:

The Ambitions of an AIUsul 9/3/05 6:31 p.m.
     Re: The Ambitions of an AInoah! 9/4/05 12:20 a.m.
           Re: The Ambitions of an AIUsul 9/4/05 1:19 p.m.
                 Re: The Ambitions of an AIdude1 9/5/05 11:27 a.m.
                 Re: The Ambitions of an AIDark One 9/5/05 12:43 p.m.
           Re: The Ambitions of an AIJinno 9/5/05 12:38 p.m.
                 Re: The Ambitions of an AIStephen L. (SoundEffect) 9/5/05 12:41 p.m.
                 Re: The Ambitions of an AIdude1 9/5/05 3:23 p.m.
                       Re: The Ambitions of an AIStephen L. (SoundEffect) 9/5/05 9:55 p.m.
                             Re: The Ambitions of an AIdude1 9/6/05 6:56 p.m.
                                   Re: The Ambitions of an AIAin Soph Aur 10/11/05 12:47 a.m.
                                         Re: The Ambitions of an AIUrsusArctos 10/11/05 5:29 a.m.
                                               Re: The Ambitions of an AIAin Soph Aur 10/12/05 12:10 a.m.
     it would make sensedean 9/5/05 8:19 a.m.
     Re: The Ambitions of an AISly Avatar 9/5/05 8:19 a.m.
           Re: The Ambitions of an AIAI Construct 9/5/05 1:03 p.m.
     Cortana will become God with Gravemind's bodyUrsusArctos4 9/7/05 10:11 a.m.
           Gravemind....Overmind...Hm...58 9/7/05 12:24 p.m.
                 Re: Gravemind....Overmind...Hm...Dark One 9/8/05 8:32 p.m.
                       Books-A-Million, B.Dalton...58 9/8/05 9:26 p.m.
     Re: The Ambitions of an AIgspawn 9/7/05 1:13 p.m.
           Re: The Ambitions of an AInoah! 9/7/05 4:14 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.