Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo level
Posted By: Sith <xsithlord@gmail.com>Date: 6/9/05 3:54 p.m.

In Response To: Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo level (rockslider)

: So, I put it out to you, Halo community: the "Library" certainly is the best Halo level in my book. Agree?

Whilst the Library's atmosphere is excellent, with the creepy/sinister music, and the darkness, it doesn't in anyway make up for the repetitive nature of it. Even the atmosphere isn't the best in the game; that honour (in my opinion of course) falls to 343 Guilty Spark, which has a stunning atmosphere, with the creepy music, the dark swamp, the mysterious shadows moving about (actually flood combat forms glimpsed through the fog, on the way into the structure, for those who didn't notice them), and the absent/KIA enemies.

The level itself only offers repetitive flood-fighting, which offers neither the humour nor the variety of fighting the covenant. I had to force myself to play it through on Legendary, as there was nothing in it for me, aside from the satisfaction of completing all the levels on all difficulties. You're very limited in how you play through the level as there's little randomisation (even less so than other levels in the game), and few angles from which to approach an upcoming battle from.

Aesthetically, the level is very dull. Granted, it seems appropriate to associate the flood with the dark (which as I mentioned does add to the atmosphere), but give me Halo's rolling hills, or The Silent Cartographer's beaches (with some memorable battles to go with it) over the grey metal interior of the Library.

Overall, the level has a rushed feel, like the the other remaining levels from 343 GS onwards (with environments being reused in all but the Library). It's just constant flood combat in similar areas the entire time, with nothing to break it up either. Unlike Doug, I wouldn't really call it (or each level) a work of art (the first 6 certainly were, but not all of them), but rather a mistake that should never have been repeated, which sadly, it was (to some extent). However, each to his/her own.

Sith

Message Index

Replies:

*OT* The Library: the best Halo levelDoug Auclair 6/5/05 3:32 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelCount Zero 6/5/05 3:34 p.m.
           off-topic from flood/forerunners, *OT* The LibraryDoug Auclair 6/5/05 5:05 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelEchoes 6/5/05 3:39 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelMichael M. 6/5/05 4:17 p.m.
           Thanks! Also, give it another go Re: The LibraryDoug Auclair 6/5/05 5:18 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelPaladin117 6/5/05 4:50 p.m.
           Yeah, Arbiter is goodSpitvalve 6/5/05 4:59 p.m.
     Dis Mug make good point...Jammerfer 6/5/05 5:08 p.m.
           Re: Dis Mug make good point...Varanos 6/6/05 12:10 p.m.
     In the words of Bungie:Jillybean 6/5/05 5:28 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelrockslider 6/7/05 6:54 p.m.
           Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo leveldeadmonkey 6/7/05 7:04 p.m.
                 Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelTrellium E 6/7/05 7:12 p.m.
           Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelCorran Horn 6/7/05 7:31 p.m.
           A beautiful, open game, Re: *OT* The LibraryDoug Auclair 6/7/05 11:09 p.m.
           Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelSith 6/9/05 3:54 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.