Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

A beautiful, open game, Re: *OT* The Library
Posted By: Doug Auclair <dauclair@hotmail.com>Date: 6/7/05 11:09 p.m.

In Response To: Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo level (rockslider)

Dear MC Rockslider, thanks for the post; you wrote:

: I've got to comment on one point. Doug mentions that as an option you can run
: past nearly every enemy without firing a shot. But that's nothing to be
: pleased about, surely. Running or driving past entire groups of enemy will
: get you to the end of a level quicker ok, but it's also of zero interest
: combat-wise, which is why I personally adopt a "kill 'em all"
: policy when going through a level doing a speed run or whatever. Actually,
: when you can skip whole groups like this (and apparently the entire level
: in this case!), you could perhaps say it's a shortcoming of the game
: design; you're doing something the designers didn't really cope for.

If I may ...

See, that's what is so beautiful about this game: it permits different styles of play! Other games require one to perform a set of actions before one can move on to the next point (e.g. some games require one to kill all the enemies in a room before the locked door magically opens ... how in the world does one design such a door sensor: "If everybody in the room is dead except the bad guy [from the door's persective], become unlocked"). But Halo allows the "kill 'em all" style (which, by the way, I am NOT critizing as I adopt this style often myself (and almost exclusively in coplay, as MC Mike, my running buddy, takes the "stand-and-deliver" approach to Covenant/Flood "diplomacy", so I can't leave my wingman too often, now, can I?) as well as the "Sam Fisher past 'em" style as well as a variety of different styles between and even outside those two opposed approaches.

It's a wonderful thing that the game plays entirely differently depending on the approach -- the setup is the same, but sometimes I wish to go in, guns blazing, sometimes I wish to sneak in and then double back, attacking the massed forces from behind, and sometimes I'd rather go to the next battle, because of my mood.

Whatever the situation, I'm always, always, always finding new ways to play the game and am discovering new things that I can do in the scenario. It's as if Bungie worked hard NOT to impose a concept of a "right way" to play the game: they simply created the environment, set up the situation, but then they allow the player to choose the best way to proceed. Bravo!

So, I would argue that requiring a particular style of play (such as "kill 'em all") is actually a fault of too many games out there. It's a primary reason why these games are boring and why we don't play them. But, as for Halo, one reads about repeat-play value in reviews and such: Halo has it, and here's one happy MC because of that (... and because of the needler, an elegant weapon for discriminating MC artists, but this particular comment is WAAAAY off-topic). :-)

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair

Message Index

Replies:

*OT* The Library: the best Halo levelDoug Auclair 6/5/05 3:32 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelCount Zero 6/5/05 3:34 p.m.
           off-topic from flood/forerunners, *OT* The LibraryDoug Auclair 6/5/05 5:05 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelEchoes 6/5/05 3:39 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelMichael M. 6/5/05 4:17 p.m.
           Thanks! Also, give it another go Re: The LibraryDoug Auclair 6/5/05 5:18 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelPaladin117 6/5/05 4:50 p.m.
           Yeah, Arbiter is goodSpitvalve 6/5/05 4:59 p.m.
     Dis Mug make good point...Jammerfer 6/5/05 5:08 p.m.
           Re: Dis Mug make good point...Varanos 6/6/05 12:10 p.m.
     In the words of Bungie:Jillybean 6/5/05 5:28 p.m.
     Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelrockslider 6/7/05 6:54 p.m.
           Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo leveldeadmonkey 6/7/05 7:04 p.m.
                 Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelTrellium E 6/7/05 7:12 p.m.
           Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelCorran Horn 6/7/05 7:31 p.m.
           A beautiful, open game, Re: *OT* The LibraryDoug Auclair 6/7/05 11:09 p.m.
           Re: *OT* The Library: the best Halo levelSith 6/9/05 3:54 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.