glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: *EXTREAMLY OT* But i just cant help myself.
Posted By: Ma1agateDate: 5/19/05 3:30 p.m.

In Response To: *EXTREAMLY OT* But i just cant help myself. (Siber)

: School for the most part does not teach. It hammers facts into student's
: brains so they can remember them long enough to pass a test, and if enough
: people pass the tests the schools get more money.

You're talking about high school or middle school here, where the students have more autonomy, and most just don't use it. Grade school is much different.

: I ask you a question. How many children in school do you know that want to
: learn? How many come home and avoid anything that looks like learning?
: School is not a particularly enjoyable experience. Those that excel are
: held back to the level of the worst students, and the worst students
: struggle anyway. Only the mediocre do well.

That is two questions, but here are my answers: 1) Actually, the majority. 2) Not as many as you seem to think. Kids DO need to play a lot too, but that really is just another method of learning. Its like stream-of-consciousness learning while you're awake, regardless of the fact that it's fun. And if only the mediocre do well, then I would have been an A student. So you're wrong on that point. (BTW, my personal belief on public schools in general is that curriculae need to be harder altogether, not this no child left behind, all-inclusive, its-ok-that-you're-stupid crap.)

: When a child is taken out of the school system, normally they take as many
: months to recover as years they spent in the school system. After that
: they suddenly WANT to learn things. They don’t have to have it forced on
: them, they ask for it.

Recover? I don't follow you on that. And school, even public school, isn't forced on anyone. Parents have the option for private schools that suit their taste in education better, and of which there are VERY many widely varying approaches (I've been to several), as well as the home-schooling option.

: Try this. Turn on an educational video for a kid that hasn’t reached school
: age yet. Chances are, if its an interesting one they will watch it and
: enjoy it. Now try the save video for a kid who's been in school for a few
: years, and listen to the groans. After getting facts ground into their
: brain for so long, anything that even looks like education just isn’t fun,
: and that’s just sad.

I'm a parent. Been there, done that. And I have to disagree. It's not that they don't like anything that looks like education, its that when they've been overstimulated by things like too much exposure to junky cartoons and video games at too early of an age, they want the concepts to be more accessible and fun and stimulating instead of having to sit through explanations. THAT is sad. Kid's minds should be challenged with increasingly complex lessons all the time, if possible. And attention spans need to be fostered.

I'm completely with Bill Cosby on the subject of parenting. Parents need to take a more active role and engage their kid's minds. Leaving them to their own devices isn't what you need to do.

Your example with the kids TV show is flawed. You can't expect school age kids to be captivated by something that would interest kids younger than them. Its about the presentation and the context in which the lesson is taught. I know plenty of kids of widely varying ages all the way up through grade school and none of them seem bored with their cirriculae. In fact, most seem genuinely enthusiastic to be going to school. Shocking, isn't it?

Generally I only see the "brainwashing" point of view from middle schoolers and high schoolers who are either punk-ass kids by nature, or they're understimulated by teachers with lackluster lessons. I was just like that myself in high school, until I decided to make school work for me. I still had crappy grades, I still never did homework, but my interest and my thirst for knowledge grew exponentially when I learned that I could change the arc of the day's lesson to shed light on my curiosities by asking the right questions in class.

: In this, you are close to right. School prepares you for society. It teaches
: you to sit at a desk, be quiet, do what you are told and not question
: authority. All that’s missing is the cubical.

Blinders, man. You got blinders on. Take what you want from the system. Better yet, make the system tell you what you want to know.

: Sure, education is great. It’s something that everyone should have. The
: public school system is not the best by far.

Surely not, its far from spectacular, but there's still no good reason for anyone in their right mind to drop out. You take what you can get. And besides, its free. The resources are there, the personnel is there, and plenty of them do care about the individuals in their classes. Try approaching one and see.

Yeah, this topic is definetly OT, and we're only getting away with it, I believe, because the cat is away; so let's not press our luck any further.

~Ma1

Message Index

Replies:

Cortana the immortal oneUrsusArctos 5/12/05 7:32 a.m.
     Re: Cortana the immortal oneOllie 5/12/05 9:25 a.m.
     Re: Cortana the immortal onenoah! 5/12/05 11:28 a.m.
     Re: Cortana the immortal oneJillybean 5/12/05 12:15 p.m.
           Re: Cortana the immortal oneEchoes 5/12/05 4:14 p.m.
                 Re: Cortana the immortal oneJillybean 5/12/05 4:31 p.m.
                       Re: Cortana the immortal oneEchoes 5/12/05 4:35 p.m.
                             Re: Cortana the immortal oneWado SG 5/12/05 4:50 p.m.
                                   Re: Cortana the immortal oneEchoes 5/12/05 4:56 p.m.
                                         Re: Cortana the immortal oneWado SG 5/12/05 5:12 p.m.
                                   Context schmontextJillybean 5/12/05 7:19 p.m.
                                         Re: Context schmontextEchoes 5/12/05 8:05 p.m.
                                               I have to side with JillyBean hereCody Miller 5/12/05 10:07 p.m.
                                                     Re: I have to side with JillyBean hereJillybean 5/13/05 4:13 a.m.
                                                           Re: I have to side with JillyBean hereToejamfrog 5/14/05 1:48 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I have to side with JillyBean herescarab 5/14/05 2:49 p.m.
                                                                 Re: I have to side with JillyBean hereJillybean 5/14/05 4:28 p.m.
                                                                       Re: I have to side with JillyBean hereEchoes 5/15/05 3:49 p.m.
                                                           Re: I have to side with JillyBean herejarell 5/19/05 4:43 a.m.
                                                                 Oh but of courseJillybean 5/19/05 5:54 a.m.
                                                                       Re: Oh but of coursejarell 5/19/05 7:57 a.m.
                                                                             I have a pointJillybean 5/19/05 10:33 a.m.
                                                                                   Re: I have a pointjarell 5/20/05 4:24 a.m.
                                                                                         Re: I have a pointEchoes 5/20/05 4:02 p.m.
                                                                                               Re: I have a pointjarell 5/21/05 5:25 a.m.
                                                                                                     Re: I have a pointJillybean 5/21/05 9:06 a.m.
                                                                                                           Re: I have a pointjarell 5/21/05 9:18 a.m.
                                                                                                                 Re: I have a pointEchoes 5/21/05 7:10 p.m.
                                         Re: Context schmontextWado SG 5/12/05 8:57 p.m.
                                               Re: Context schmontext - mildly LONGSilent Knight 5/18/05 8:17 a.m.
                                         And?doctor_nightfall 5/19/05 6:51 a.m.
                                               An apology...doctor_nightfall 5/19/05 8:18 a.m.
                                                     Re: An apology...Ma1agate 5/19/05 10:01 a.m.
                                                           *EXTREAMLY OT* But i just cant help myself.Siber 5/19/05 1:08 p.m.
                                                                 Re: *EXTREAMLY OT* But i just cant help myself.mercury 5/19/05 3:22 p.m.
                                                                       Re: *EXTREAMLY OT* But i just cant help myself.Ma1agate 5/19/05 3:33 p.m.
                                                                             Re: *EXTREAMLY OT* But i just cant help myself.mercury 5/19/05 4:42 p.m.
                                                                 Re: *EXTREAMLY OT* But i just cant help myself.Ma1agate 5/19/05 3:30 p.m.
                       Re: Cortana the immortal onemercury 5/12/05 4:39 p.m.
           Re: Cortana the immortal onescarab 5/13/05 1:31 p.m.
                 Re: Cortana the immortal oneSpec ops Grunt 5/13/05 3:56 p.m.
                       I'll get back to you when I've checked *NM*scarab 5/13/05 9:14 p.m.
                       Re: Cortana the immortal onescarab 5/14/05 3:48 a.m.
                             Re: Cortana the immortal oneReiginko 5/14/05 11:05 a.m.
                                   Re: Cortana the immortal onescarab 5/14/05 2:48 p.m.
     Re: Cortana the immortal one - LONGWado SG 5/12/05 4:17 p.m.
           Re: Cortana the immortal one - LONGUrsusArctos 5/12/05 6:29 p.m.
                 Re: Cortana the immortal one - LONGWado SG 5/12/05 6:48 p.m.
                       Re: Cortana the immortal one - LONGUrsusArctos 5/13/05 2:18 a.m.
     Re: Cortana the immortal oneCody Miller 5/12/05 10:11 p.m.
           Re: Cortana the immortal oneUrsusArctos 5/13/05 2:19 a.m.
           Re: Cortana the immortal oneReiginko 5/13/05 10:14 a.m.
     Re: Cortana the immortal onezugy 5/13/05 9:08 a.m.
           Re: Cortana the immortal oneBlazorax 5/13/05 10:53 a.m.
                 Re: Cortana the immortal oneSpec ops Grunt 5/13/05 4:01 p.m.
                 Re: Cortana the immortal oneTycho/Howard 5/13/05 6:39 p.m.
     Re: Cortana the immortal onemr_mcmurder 5/13/05 12:25 p.m.
           Re: Cortana the immortal oneUrsusArctos 5/14/05 5:59 a.m.
     Re: Cortana the immortal oneM.Sadlon 5/13/05 6:10 p.m.
     So will she reprogram the Flood?Bigjooj 5/14/05 7:31 p.m.
           Re: So will she reprogram the Flood?UrsusArctos 5/15/05 4:04 a.m.
                 Re: So will she reprogram the Flood?Draxxion 5/15/05 6:22 p.m.
                       On reprogramming the Flood- LONGMorgalad 5/17/05 8:50 a.m.
                             Re: On reprogramming the FloodM.Sadlon 5/17/05 11:55 a.m.
                                   Re: On reprogramming the FloodMorgalad 5/18/05 9:24 a.m.
                                   Re: On reprogramming the FloodSiber 5/18/05 3:05 p.m.
                                         Re: On reprogramming the Flood58 5/18/05 5:12 p.m.
                                               Re: On reprogramming the FloodM.Sadlon 5/18/05 6:39 p.m.
                                                     A woman scorned...........Bigjooj 5/19/05 1:30 a.m.
                                                           Re: A woman scorned...........Draxxion 5/24/05 5:10 p.m.
                                                                 Re: A woman scorned...........HAVOC II 5/24/05 5:25 p.m.
                                                                       Re: A woman scorned...........58 5/24/05 5:58 p.m.
                                                                             Re: A woman scorned...........HAVOC II 5/24/05 6:08 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: A woman scorned...........58 5/24/05 6:34 p.m.
                                                                             Re: A woman scorned...........UrsusArctos 5/24/05 6:40 p.m.
                                                                                   Re: A woman scorned...........58 5/24/05 7:14 p.m.
                                                                 Re: A woman scorned...........58 5/24/05 5:38 p.m.
                                                                       Re: A woman scorned...........Scaraby 5/24/05 5:51 p.m.
                                                                       Re: A woman scorned...........UrsusArctos 5/24/05 6:36 p.m.
     Can't Cortana purge when she's in danger? *NM* *NM*Shadowsniper689 5/24/05 6:22 p.m.
           Re: Can't Cortana purge when she's in danger?UrsusArctos 5/24/05 6:38 p.m.
                 Re: Can't Cortana purge when she's in danger?o81as 5/24/05 7:47 p.m.
                       Re: Can't Cortana purge when she's in danger?58 5/25/05 6:17 a.m.
                 Re: Can't Cortana purge when she's in danger?M.Sadlon 5/24/05 8:10 p.m.
                       Re: Can't Cortana purge when she's in danger?58 5/25/05 6:17 a.m.
                             Re: Can't Cortana purge when she's in danger?M.Sadlon 5/25/05 8:02 p.m.
     Re: Cortana the immortal oneHaloFanatic101 5/24/05 8:01 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.