Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

My Take
Posted By: JinnoDate: 5/7/05 3:12 p.m.

In Response To: Realism (JLrep)

Both of you provided great reasons as to why Halo is so damn fun. The latter criticized Halo 2, which I actually appreciate, because the fact that I can boost with a Wraith, and yet not be able to shoot the secondary fire, pisses me off. Halo 2 tried to provide more real realism rather than continue with the fun we already had. I was mad at the idea of not being able to hog jump anymore, then we were blessed with sword flying. Then they took that away... Bungie has strayed from what has made their games so damn appealing, and that was that even though they hated the fact that we had found these glitches, it built upon their community. Now they're covering them up, rather just fixing the things that NEED to be fixed. They could have made the patch add a little more to our custom game options, like letting us turn Sword flying on and off, or the rocket sword epidemic. Even if it could be used for cheating, no need to kill it in entirety.

One of the other reasons that I didn't like Halo 2 as much as Halo 1, is because half the time it seems uncertain that I'm going to die. I can walk into a stray bullet without my shield and I'll die, even if my shields were coming back online. I can spawn with a grenade by me and I'll die. Various things from Halo 1 were fun. I loved being in a fire fight and then getting down to one bar and grabbing a health pack just in time to allow me time to kill my enemy. Now I've got to hope to god I'm near an overshield so that I can get my shields and my life back. Then you can still easily be killed by a couple of rockets or grenades.

As far as single player gameplay is concerned, I felt that Halo 2 was a little unrealistic in the fact that there were barriers, and you couldn't do as much as you used to. There just didn't seem to be as much need to explore, because levels were linear and compact. In Halo 1 you could be indoors and feel like there were things to explore. It just seemed more interesting. Not letting AI drive was a blessing in Halo 1... they're just too dumb to do it. Maybe in Halo 3 they'll get it right, but halo 2 was a mistake to put it in. The lack of boss battles in Halo 1 was another blessing. Quite frankly, the most of a boss in halo 1 were the occasional Hunter Pair. That was it. And you could always just run by those enemies, given the situation allowed for it. Like Assault on the Control Room, you didn't have to finish off those Hunters at the end, it made for a hilarious funny when you went through the doors and they tried shooting you off of the bridge.

That's another thing. The pre-rendered cutscenes of Halo 2 were beautiful, but they took away from the imersion. Opening Keyes's cell while an elite was growling in the background was awesome. Having your Marines and the warthog there to shoot the bastard when you unlocked the security was great. However watching Master Chief walk to the bomb, with a completely cleared room with no carcasses or blood... was a downer. Also, the lack and changing of weapons from Halo 1 dissapointed me. Even if it was overpowered in Halo 1, it didn't make sense for absolutely no one to carry an MA5B. There is no way that they could'v e gotten a whole batallion issued with the new weapons... It just makes not sense. Throwing out the pistol was odd, even if it wasn't balanced. They could easily have kept it but underpowered it. It'd be a quick drawback, but soon it'd feel right. The shotgun didn't look the same, it just didn't seem right as well as the uncertain firing of it. Making the Plasma Rifle smaller was an odd move, but it could easily be expected of the enemy, but the lack of the larger ones on High Charity seemed dumb at best.

Even after all of these Halo 2 complaints, I must say that above all of it Bungie is still a bunch of masterminds when it comes to environments, I love to just stop and admire the beauty of their levels. Thus is why its important to be able to get out of them. It's a much better view. Bungie can't stop people from getting out of them, otherwise it would make Halo suck, so why do they try?

~Jinno

PS, the last two were awesome reads.

Message Index

Replies:

The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesMothergoat 5/6/05 4:15 p.m.
     Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesGryphonOsiris 5/6/05 4:57 p.m.
           Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesDaggart 5/9/05 6:43 p.m.
     True dat.Saint [lpn] 5/6/05 5:19 p.m.
           Re: True dat.Spec ops Grunt 5/6/05 7:25 p.m.
                 Ah...Saint [lpn] 5/6/05 9:42 p.m.
                       Goldeneye! *nm* *NM*Tar 5/7/05 11:04 a.m.
                             Re: !!!GOLDENEYE!!! *very large grin* *NM* *NM*AB10784 5/9/05 3:23 p.m.
     Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriestrigger119 5/6/05 6:16 p.m.
     Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesSlimby 5/6/05 8:47 p.m.
           Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriestsuranuku 5/7/05 8:57 a.m.
     Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesPhobix 5/7/05 7:59 a.m.
           Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesMothergoat 5/7/05 8:41 a.m.
                 Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesEl Sjaako 5/7/05 9:11 a.m.
                       Exactly (re: invisible walls)Interactive Civilian 5/7/05 9:43 a.m.
                             Re: Exactly (re: invisible walls)zugy 5/7/05 8:38 p.m.
                 Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesSA 5/7/05 9:47 a.m.
                       Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo serieszugy 5/7/05 8:40 p.m.
     Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesCoriakin 5/7/05 8:44 a.m.
     The genius is in the recharging shields *NM*Remo-Williams 5/7/05 8:59 a.m.
     Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesCuda II 5/7/05 9:46 a.m.
     RealismJLrep 5/7/05 11:25 a.m.
           My TakeJinno 5/7/05 3:12 p.m.
                 Re: My TakeDevil Mingy 5/7/05 3:31 p.m.
                       Re: My TakeJLrep 5/7/05 6:53 p.m.
     i thought mothergoat quit halo *NM*synide 5/7/05 4:34 p.m.
           Re: i thought mothergoat quit halodjpaddock20 5/7/05 4:56 p.m.
           Re: i thought mothergoat quit haloMasterGrief 5/7/05 6:54 p.m.
           Re: i thought mothergoat quit haloMothergoat 5/7/05 11:01 p.m.
     Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesDj Suppai Saru 5/7/05 7:58 p.m.
     Hey MotherGoat, could you please explain...Dj Suppai Saru 5/7/05 8:02 p.m.
           Re: Hey MotherGoat, could you please explain...zugy 5/7/05 8:34 p.m.
           Re: Hey MotherGoat, could you please explain...JLrep 5/7/05 9:02 p.m.
           Re: Hey MotherGoat, could you please explain...Mothergoat 5/7/05 11:07 p.m.
                 Re: Hey MotherGoat, could you please explain...Dr@Home 5/8/05 1:52 p.m.
                       Re: Hey MotherGoat, could you please explain...AB10784 5/9/05 3:41 p.m.
     What makes Halo good?zugy 5/7/05 8:53 p.m.
     bravo. and now for my 2 centsk_wizard 5/7/05 11:51 p.m.
           Re: bravo. and now for my 2 centsBlazorax 5/8/05 3:02 a.m.
                 Re: bravo. and now for my 2 centsRC Master 5/8/05 9:17 a.m.
                 Re: bravo. and now for my 2 centsJLrep 5/8/05 1:02 p.m.
                 Re: bravo. and now for my 2 centsAB10784 5/9/05 3:48 p.m.
     Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesE.T. the Extremely Tired 5/8/05 1:10 p.m.
     Well said.FuzzyWhisper 5/9/05 2:44 p.m.
     Re: The Technical Superiority of the Halo seriesJoe Mama 5/10/05 4:55 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.