Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: MLG?
Posted By: EggyToast <spam@eggytoast.com>Date: 4/22/05 4:39 p.m.

In Response To: Re: MLG? (jdman2289)

: Ah. They want a more Halo Oneish type feel, so they use the Battle Rifle and
: the SMG as the starting weapons for most games, including CTF.

They basically remove any sort of random element and try to turn a gamestyle into something perceived as "pure skill." That's, of course, mildy difficult.

They tend to care more about pure competition than having a balanced game with a variety of options that work. So they'll start everyone with the battle rifle, meaning that no one dual wields anything and you should expect to kill people in 3-4 shots, all aimed at the head. While I can see the importance of such a skill, it's not exactly representative of an holistic Halo 2 experience.

Similarly, they turn off the motion sensor because they're whiny. Well, they say it's because it adds another layer of skill and strategy to the game. I think it makes it less like Halo and more like Generic FPS 8273.

Personally I find that it turns the game into something more bland, as it removes a lot of the hunt/surprise elements. In most MLG maps, when you start getting shot, you're dead. While that gives people more motivation to be sneaky/fast and avoid being shot at in the first place, or to shoot first themselves (hence the lack of radar), there's a lot less randomness and surprise. No stories of being attacked while you only have an SMG and turning the tables in some surprising way, fewer heroics and, well...

Whenever I've played an MLG gametype the better team/players are usually determined within the first 2-3 minutes. So the games, while they are a unique take, are less interesting to me.

Message Index

Replies:

MLG?dragun30 4/22/05 3:41 p.m.
     Re: MLG?jdman2289 4/22/05 3:43 p.m.
           Re: MLG?dragun30 4/22/05 3:54 p.m.
                 Re: MLG?jdman2289 4/22/05 4:03 p.m.
                       Re: MLG?EggyToast 4/22/05 4:39 p.m.
                 Re: MLG?mercury 4/22/05 4:41 p.m.
     I Rest My Case *NM*3Suns 4/22/05 4:52 p.m.
           Re: I Rest My Casededalus 4/22/05 5:13 p.m.
                 Pro settings can be good for beginners3Suns 4/22/05 5:50 p.m.
                       Re: Pro settings can be good for beginnersHikaru-119 4/22/05 5:53 p.m.
     some more information on MLG *long*3Suns 4/22/05 5:11 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.