Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!
Posted By: longWriter <ptm2@calvin.edu>Date: 4/18/05 6:41 p.m.

In Response To: Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND! (Reebo!!!?)

therefore it
: makes sense that THE HUMANS ARE THE FORERUNNERS!!!!! WOA!!!!!!! (ok, now
: you can tell me if u think i'm dead right or i'm just high...)

I think you're dead right that the forerunners were human. I've read some of the suggested reasons why the Covenant hate us so much in this discussion, and they all seem to go back to our previous relationship with the Prophets or Forerunners, claiming that some grudge existed between us and them. My theory for why the prophets are sicking the Covenant forces on humanity is this: only a handful of Prophets know that we are the Forerunners, and they want to keep it that way. At the beginnings of their civilizations, they found Forerunner (ancient human) technology and believed that there was something supernatural about them. So the Covenant was struck up, and their races began allying with one another to seek the "Divine Beyond". But when it was discovered that we were the Forerunners, the handful of Prophets that knew it realized that, if word gets out that the humans only ever used the rings to fight the Flood---and that the "Divine Beyond" doesn't exist---they would quickly lose political power. So, they tell everyone to attack the humans and destroy their culture. (Remember, in the Jenkins playback in Halo 1, the sargeant mentioned that the Covenant were trying to destroy all human history.) That way, the various species of the Covenant would hate us instead of being curious about us. Also, for anyone who was curious, any evidence that we were the Forerunners would be destroyed by Covenant armies.

There is more support for the theory that humans are Forerunners in what 343 Guilty Spark says in Halo 1: he refers to human history as "our lost time".

There would be even more support for the theory if, at some point, Prophets had other Prophets killed swiftly and without any time for them to speak: it makes some sense that one (or more than one) prophet would have the moral courage to tell the truth about the humans to the Covenant, and that the other prophets would try to stop him.

There is one problem with the theory, though: if the records of what the Forerunners look like are available to everyone on Halo, that would seem to disprove or at least weaken the theory's standing: the secret would easily get out. Any one of the curious Grunts could start tapping buttons and bring up a picture of a Forerunner. And, as I haven't read the books, yet, and I can't tell from the other posts on account of ambiguity, I don't know whether there are pictures of what forerunners looked like in any Covenant records. But if there are, and they don't look like humans, this theory looks cold...

Or does it? If my theory about the Covenant's reasons for attacking humanity are correct, then it seems reasonable that the Prophets would try to hack the Forerunner computers---every one they find---and erase or edit the data regarding the Forerunner race so that the idea that they are human won't occur to anyone who sees (or doesn't see) the data. The theory would find more support if it turns out that the Prophets have to dedicate or "cleanse" every piece of Forerunner technology with a memory bank before any other Covenant can see it. The fact that 343 was taken directly to the Prophets once the Covenant forces got it is an instance of such support. But only time will tell...or, perhaps, the books, if I ever find time to read them in my bust college life...if either theory is correct.

---the peace of Jesus Chirst be with you---

Message Index

Replies:

...and this time none of you will be left behindWado SG 4/7/05 6:50 p.m.
     Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!Reebo!!!? 4/7/05 7:29 p.m.
           Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!Echoes 4/7/05 7:35 p.m.
                 Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!Reebo!!!? 4/7/05 7:53 p.m.
                       Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!Echoes 4/7/05 7:57 p.m.
                       I hate it when people write in all capitals.Pha7e 4/7/05 8:35 p.m.
                             Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.Reebo!!!? 4/7/05 8:45 p.m.
                                   Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.mrbananas 4/7/05 9:45 p.m.
                                         Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.scorpionxx7 4/15/05 3:34 p.m.
                                               Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.Cambion 4/15/05 3:45 p.m.
                                               Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.mrbananas 4/18/05 6:51 p.m.
                                   I also hate it when people don't capitalize thingsPha7e 4/7/05 10:39 p.m.
                                         Re: I also hate it when people don't capitalize thReebo!!!? 4/7/05 11:45 p.m.
                                               Re: I also hate it when people don't capitalize thPha7e 4/7/05 11:59 p.m.
                                                     Re: I also hate it when people don't capitalize thReebo!!!? 4/8/05 12:13 a.m.
                                                           Re: I also hate it when people don't capitalize thPha7e 4/8/05 12:47 a.m.
                                                     Re: I also hate it when people don't capitalize thICDedPpl 4/8/05 11:06 p.m.
                             Re: I hate it when people write in all capitals.suave 4/10/05 1:35 p.m.
                                   I hate it when people have elitist attitudesFuzzyWhisper 4/28/05 1:36 a.m.
                 Nephilim had six fingersWado SG 4/8/05 2:32 a.m.
                       Re: Nephilim had six fingersOwm 4/8/05 3:48 a.m.
                       Remember what Bungie asked?Mortalis Deus 4/8/05 4:15 a.m.
                             Re: Remember what Bungie asked?Zak Anderson 4/8/05 4:49 a.m.
                                   Invalidating my theory...Wado SG 4/9/05 4:12 a.m.
                                         Re: Invalidating my theory...longWriter 4/18/05 6:11 p.m.
                                               Re: Invalidating my theory...suave 4/18/05 6:22 p.m.
                                               Re: Invalidating my theory...Wado SG 4/18/05 6:26 p.m.
                                               Re: Invalidating my theory...Zak Anderson 4/19/05 3:21 a.m.
                                                     ...Louis Wu 4/19/05 8:51 a.m.
                                                           this post is right onMiguel Chavez 4/19/05 9:36 a.m.
                                                                 I think...Louis Wu 4/19/05 9:55 a.m.
                                                                       Re: I think...Wado SG 4/19/05 12:06 p.m.
                                                                             Territories, of course. *NM*Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/19/05 12:31 p.m.
                                                                 POST OF THE DAY! *NM*XLNC 4/19/05 2:06 p.m.
                                                     Re: Invalidating my theory...Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) 4/19/05 11:47 a.m.
                       Re: Nephilim had six fingersSilky Red 4/9/05 11:23 p.m.
           Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!longWriter 4/18/05 6:41 p.m.
                 Re: THIS WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!UrsusArctos 4/18/05 7:37 p.m.
     Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiICDedPpl 4/8/05 1:05 p.m.
           Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiEkim 4/8/05 7:39 p.m.
                 Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiAdam Downes 4/12/05 6:08 a.m.
     Re: Future, maybe humans lose?Dominic Moberly 4/10/05 2:05 p.m.
           Re: Future, maybe humans lose?Guilty Spark 4/10/05 2:09 p.m.
                 putting my two cents inDirge 4/12/05 6:37 p.m.
                       Comments upon blood colourEarthScorpion 4/15/05 12:40 p.m.
                             Re: Comments upon blood colourscorpionxx7 4/15/05 3:24 p.m.
                             *Camels and lamas comes to mind. *NM*Dundre 4/16/05 8:12 a.m.
     The Great Journey117 Reclaiming Factor 4/16/05 1:31 a.m.
           Re: The Great Journeytrojanman42 4/16/05 1:45 a.m.
           Re: The Great JourneyPeptuck 4/16/05 7:51 a.m.
     Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiphoenix927 4/16/05 12:14 p.m.
     Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiajenteks 4/20/05 5:58 p.m.
           Re: ...and this time none of you will be left behiShadowsniper689 4/20/05 6:21 p.m.
     My old post about "100,000 years war"replay 4/27/05 3:23 a.m.
           Re: My old post about "100,000 years war"Jamirus99 4/27/05 5:13 a.m.
                 Re: My old post about "100,000 years war"mrbananas 4/27/05 7:31 a.m.
     On to somethingFlawed Legacy 4/28/05 9:30 p.m.
           Am *I* On to something?!Likada 'Banshee 4/29/05 2:16 p.m.
                 Re: Am *I* On to something?!AlfaSub 4/29/05 11:33 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.