Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Problems with your theories...
Posted By: TCBDate: 4/11/01 7:40 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Problems with your theories... (Vulcan)

: The Round will be highly advanced and will be
: capable of changeing its flight path to follow the laser sight from the
: gun (much like a laser guided missle).

The smartbombs and laser guided missiles aren't all that they were made out to be. 1 in 4 missed their targets in Desert Storm. Over half of the bombs just dropped on Iraq's radar posts missed their targets. The reason? Lasers aren't foolproof like the military boasted all through that war. Dropping a bomb down a chimney is possible, but only in really clear weather with no smoke or anything. Rain, clouds, smoke and the like make them miss. They might be the most accurate that we have but they're not "one hit, one kill." Don't believe all the propaganda that you're fed, it's part of war to hype up your abilities to be beyond what they are.

Anyways, before when you said that using railguns would let you accelerate a grain of sand to near the speed of light is really the smartest thing to do. When you want to inflict a lot of damage, you need something with a lot of mass, like lead, or even better, depleted uranium. And stuff like that can't take heat very well, it melts at really low temperatures. Any metal going that fast through this atmosphere would disintegrate before it left the barrel, even a grain of sand would, which makes no sense to use since it has very little mass. Yeah railguns could work, but lasers would be a lot faster and we already have technology for that strong enough to blow up incoming missiles (not very effective, but works in the right conditions). We have all these spaceships in the games, so they're obviously not using the railgun technology where it should be ;p If there were ships that used antimatter for fuel, which would be cheap and the most powerful substance known to man, even more than nuclear methods, that would make sense to me then I guess, but still I doubt that that's what the developers had in mind. I mean, they're using jeeps and vehicles based on Vietnam weapons! hehe, no offense.

Where's the realistic weapons that are being developed today, like the Marines have with their big microwave dish on their vehicles that they're making? I hear that thing works by heating up the very top layers of skin to trigger the nerves into feeling like their bodies are on fire, but it does no long-term damage. Where's the weapons like that? Not that I'd want it necessarily, but if you want to get technical heh. Why don't you guys worry more about things that would be fun that are realistic instead of worrying about little railgun stuff? Make some new innovations in the crafts that are fun to fly, mind bogglingly futuristic, not only in the way they work and being realistic for the future but in the way that they take advantage of the graphical effects. Why not have windows and skins on the vehicles that have tint their camoflage at will, sort of like Metal Gear Solid's ninja. We have windows today that can tint dark and light with a dimming switch (really expensive but better than using blinds). It works sort of like LCD where the ink flows through it based on how much electricity it has. It could tint black at night like a stealth plane or helicopter today. The metal skin that's not glass would undoubtadly have a way to do it in the near future too, like a chameleon.

It needs to be challenging, like only having a gun, but yet mind bogglingly futuristic when you look at it just because the graphics are as important as the gameplay. Just flying a craft like that would add a ton of new, fun gameplay.

Realisticly if aliens landed on our planet and were just a thousand years more advanced than us (they would have to be a hell of a lot older than that to travel that far at less than light speed, but hypothetically, just a thousand years), their technology would be like God to us. We wouldn't have a chance to blink or know that they were here before we were dead if that's what they wanted.

Halo's in the future right? And there're still using a basic Jeep and gunner like back in Vietnam, but this is supposed to be in the future where our technology would be so advanced that it would be unrecognizable today. Look at how fast our weapons of war advanced from the 1940's World War planes to 50 years later with supersonic jet fighters and Apache helicopters etc.

A one man army in the future when we had the atom bomb 50 years ago before fast jets, today we have precision guided missiles with their own guidance systems, the future would take a little more than one superman, or even mecha. That's not enough to fight a war today. If you're going to say it's aliens invading in the future, at least make aliens have cool stuff to steal and play with ;p

It seems like all these FPS games, most of which are mere clones with new characters and graphics (not Halo, I'm really looking forward to the vehicles and XBox graphics), make you out to be the lone hero running around on foot like an expendable grunt shooting stuff. But in real life you'd be dead right away unless you were a well hidden sniper. I guess that's why they call it a game, but I would rather fly and drive amazing stuff. I think that's more fun than just running around learning how to shoot a gun level after level after level. Guns are fun, but not amazingly fun. FPS games are the same, they need to get some fantasy in it like the Japanese games do, and online play.

Ok, I mean, the US PC developers innovate in their plots and guns and stuff with the FPS games more than any Japanese franchise. BUT, there's not much new fantasy gameplay innovations, that's just as important IMO. It's all about the games, and games are, well should be all about fun, with great ideas and graphics too, but mostly fun.

Message Index

Replies:

How do I submit theories??Gabriel Bregg 4/5/01 3:28 p.m.
     Re: How do I submit theories??Hethal 4/5/01 10:09 p.m.
           Re: How do I submit theories??DogCow 4/6/01 12:37 a.m.
                 Re: How do I submit theories??Hethal 4/7/01 3:34 p.m.
     Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/7/01 10:51 a.m.
           Re: Problems with your theories...Gabriel Bregg 4/7/01 12:11 p.m.
                 Re: Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/7/01 3:18 p.m.
                       Re: Problems with your theories...Hethal 4/7/01 3:46 p.m.
                             Re: Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/7/01 3:57 p.m.
                                   Re: Problems with your theories...Hethal 4/7/01 4:13 p.m.
                                         Re: Problems with your theories...Physalis 4/7/01 10:17 p.m.
                                               Re: Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/7/01 11:47 p.m.
                                                     Re: Problems with your theories...Physalis 4/8/01 12:58 a.m.
                                                           Re: Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/8/01 11:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Problems with your theories...Physalis 4/9/01 12:16 a.m.
                                                                       laser sights and railguns, oh myAnaphiel 4/9/01 10:36 a.m.
                                                                             Re: laser sights and railguns, oh myrosignol 4/9/01 1:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Problems with your theories...TCB 4/11/01 7:40 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Problems with your theories...TCB 4/11/01 8:51 p.m.
                 Re: Problems with your theories...Louis Wu 4/7/01 3:36 p.m.
                       Re: Problems with your theories...Kinescope 4/7/01 6:20 p.m.
                             Re: Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/8/01 12:04 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.