Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: laser sights and railguns, oh my
Posted By: rosignol <rosignol@nwlink.com>Date: 4/9/01 1:52 p.m.

In Response To: laser sights and railguns, oh my (Anaphiel)

[zap]

: And many modern anti-tank rounds currently in use aren't explosive rounds at
: all. KEAP (kinetic energy armor piercing) rounds are just big
: "nails" of high-density metals (depleted uranium, anybody?)
: driven at extremely high velocities, often with a shaped explosive charge
: that "drives the nail" when it strikes. The "nail"
: penetrates the armor of the target, which shatters and fills the interior
: of the target with shrapnel. US armored vehicles have their interiors
: coated with special materials designed to prevent this shattering.

Almost. I'm pretty sure DU rounds are not quite the same as the shaped charge rounds.

When a DU round hits a target, a lot of the kinetic energy becomes heat. Essentially, the DU round burns though the armor and ignites fuel or ammunition in the target, which is what kills it. Shrapenel is more of a HESH thing, and I think the Brits are the only ones who use that stuff...

The russians didn't help things by designing one of their tanks to store ammo in indentations in the fuel cell. Boom baby boom...

Message Index

Replies:

How do I submit theories??Gabriel Bregg 4/5/01 3:28 p.m.
     Re: How do I submit theories??Hethal 4/5/01 10:09 p.m.
           Re: How do I submit theories??DogCow 4/6/01 12:37 a.m.
                 Re: How do I submit theories??Hethal 4/7/01 3:34 p.m.
     Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/7/01 10:51 a.m.
           Re: Problems with your theories...Gabriel Bregg 4/7/01 12:11 p.m.
                 Re: Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/7/01 3:18 p.m.
                       Re: Problems with your theories...Hethal 4/7/01 3:46 p.m.
                             Re: Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/7/01 3:57 p.m.
                                   Re: Problems with your theories...Hethal 4/7/01 4:13 p.m.
                                         Re: Problems with your theories...Physalis 4/7/01 10:17 p.m.
                                               Re: Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/7/01 11:47 p.m.
                                                     Re: Problems with your theories...Physalis 4/8/01 12:58 a.m.
                                                           Re: Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/8/01 11:42 a.m.
                                                                 Re: Problems with your theories...Physalis 4/9/01 12:16 a.m.
                                                                       laser sights and railguns, oh myAnaphiel 4/9/01 10:36 a.m.
                                                                             Re: laser sights and railguns, oh myrosignol 4/9/01 1:52 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Problems with your theories...TCB 4/11/01 7:40 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Problems with your theories...TCB 4/11/01 8:51 p.m.
                 Re: Problems with your theories...Louis Wu 4/7/01 3:36 p.m.
                       Re: Problems with your theories...Kinescope 4/7/01 6:20 p.m.
                             Re: Problems with your theories...Vulcan 4/8/01 12:04 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.