Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

More analysis (not quite as long)
Posted By: Morgan <classic@sover.net>Date: 3/24/01 10:06 a.m.

In Response To: Halo Press Shots analysis (LONG) (SimplyDave)

Here's a couple additions to the things mentioned in SimplyDave's post:

Image #7:

Take a look at the marine... notice anything about his position in the vehicle? Heah, that's right, he's leaning as far as he can in the direction away from the ground. Very nice, but is this because he just made a sharp turn into the log or is is really the IK in action? Hopefully the latter.

Also, about those lens flares, are they just sneaking in from the sun (which is nowhere to be seen) or are they actually from the jeeps lights? They're probably from the jeeps lights, which would explain why they appear to be under the jeep as it is really above the camera's view.

Also, from the looks of it, the stones and dirt kicked up by the tires are actually a textured particle effect, not lots of little rocks being rendered, so that probably helps with the framerate.

Image #8:

Yes, that's a steering wheel in hand (you can easily track it's circular shape). Very nice.

More IK: look, his ass is off the seat and he seems to be trying to keep his body vertical. This obviously because gravity has just kicked in and the nose of his jeep is starting to drop.

Also, take a look at his hand, you can see between his index finger and middle finger. Nice to see that those two fingers are still separated (as seen in previous movies), I just wish they all were.

About the shadows, they're probably rendering them to textures and then projecting the textures on the landscape, which would explain how blocky they look, but they'll be fast. Also note that these are at HUGE resolutions, at smaller resolutions you won't be able to tell as clearly that they are blocky, neither will you be able to when things are moving. I like the shadows because it's very hard to do decent shadows in real time and these are the best I've seen yet!

Image #9:

Look at the ceiling above the grunt on the right... what do you see? Where is that golden hue and blue fall off comming from? I can make only one guess.... can you? Yeah, that's right, the grunt. But remember, it's only a guess.

Morgan

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Press Shots analysis (LONG)SimplyDave 3/23/01 7:21 a.m.
     Re: Halo Press Shots analysis (LONG)Lixtrim 3/23/01 3:08 p.m.
     Re: Halo Press Shots analysis (LONG)NevinNiven 3/23/01 5:21 p.m.
           Re: Halo Press Shots analysis (LONG)SimplyDave 3/26/01 2:49 a.m.
     Re: Reflectionmnemesis 3/23/01 8:42 p.m.
     More analysis (not quite as long)Morgan 3/24/01 10:06 a.m.
     More analysis (not quite as long)Morgan 3/24/01 10:09 a.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.