Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Crazy idea...
Posted By: Silent Knight <irish_bloke@hotmail.com>Date: 1/11/05 8:29 p.m.

In Response To: Crazy idea... (Gunslinger_19)

: My question: why does he say "Amen" in the middle of the prayer?
: I'm pretty sure that's what you say at the end...

I was under the impression that "Amen" loosely translates to "We believe." I'm not necessarily sure that it has to be 'we,' as that would imply the presence of many beings uttering the prayer and contradict the use of "I wish to seek..." and "I wander..." Although a lot of prayers at mass are spoken as singulars even though they're spoken out loud communally.

After saying all that - I think "Amen" is just there to make it sound like a prayer (Bungie/Marty might be hinting in the right direction with this "Amen" or sending us off onto a galactic-scale tangent).

And onto the "light" mentioned. Okay, light is a common metaphor for a life or a soul. It's in Transformers (how cool were they!) and the Tragedy Of Othello by Shakespeare as Othello is about to kill Desdemona (I hope that doesn't count as a spoiler) he says "Put out the light...And then put out the light." A light that cannot be extinguished would imply an immortal being. In the context of "Crazy Idea" (which isn't looking very crazy, but just crazy enough to warrant the title) this immortal being would be the Flood...I mean to kill the Flood they have to commit mass ritual suicide.

(I just got called by a survey...damn, lost my train of thought)

Okay, reference to "Earth" backs up your Forerunner theory - they built the Ark there (presumably) and so would have a chance to wander it looking for attonement.... How about an even crazier idea? In the original Crazy Idea, you mentioned that the Forerunner left behind Monitors to look after the installations.

BUT - Do you really leave the "Go-switch" for a nearby genocide-capable weapon guarded by just computers? No matter how good the hard wiring? Take 343 GS for example - Master Chief was ready to take out the Flood by just kablammying installation 04, instead 343 wanted to wipeout the galaxy. An electronic Hitler. Guilty Spark even says it himself "They are weapons of last resort, only to be used when all other options are exhausted." As we now find out, the big red button for galactic destruction is at the Ark. I'm thinking that they would have somehow gotten a Forerunner down there to flick the switch. Although, 60,000 years is a bit long to be spent playing Solitaire on the Ark's computers.

Unless of course, humans are the Forerunners left behind to maintain the Ark and fire at will.

If three words in a row of that actually makes sense or is on topic...I'll be happy.

Message Index

Replies:

"A Whisper in the Storm" = Arbiter PrayerSpacegoat 1/8/05 3:37 p.m.
     Re: "A Whisper in the Storm" = Arbiter Prayerctishman 1/8/05 3:57 p.m.
           Re: "A Whisper in the Storm" = Arbiter PrayerIceWeasel 1/8/05 4:00 p.m.
     Re: "A Whisper in the Storm" = Arbiter PrayerIceWeasel 1/8/05 4:04 p.m.
     Crazy idea...Gunslinger_19 1/8/05 4:59 p.m.
           Re: Crazy idea...First Strike 1/8/05 9:40 p.m.
           Re: Crazy idea...ctishman 1/9/05 1:42 a.m.
           Re: Crazy idea...SDroid 1/9/05 9:44 a.m.
           Re: Crazy idea...Silent Knight 1/11/05 8:29 p.m.
                 Re: Crazy idea...MetaPfhor 1/11/05 8:44 p.m.
                       Re: Crazy idea...Silent Knight 1/11/05 8:57 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.