Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Totally agree... Long
Posted By: djpaddock20 <wwsys20@cox.net>Date: 1/1/05 6:38 p.m.

In Response To: Totally agree... (Chester the Destroyer)

Wow, chester, good job taking half my words out of context. That was simply an amazing display of cut and pasting. Maybe if you expanded your Halo site surfage you would see the many other posts I have made detailing exactly what glitches and the problems with the maps as they are now. If you have a problem with my opinion, so be it, but the next time you want to quote me, quote the whole sentence, do not take my words and twist them around to make me sound like a neanderthal. You obviously missed the point where I said I was thinking like a competitive gamer. In that sense, world stage has an entirely different meaning. Not XBL, but lan tournaments around the world. If the game is bent there, too many people with money, (read SPONSORS), are just going to laugh and move on to better games, no matter how big Halo 2 is.

Don't get me wrong, I want Halo 2 to succeed, but at the same time, I want it to be made into a better game for competition. To be honest, right now, it's almost crap. Took a group of about 20 people a solid month to come up with a valid gametype for CAL. Took a smaller group maybe a week to do the same for Halo 1. Why? Halo 2 doesn't have enough detail options, and the ones it does have aren't detailed enough. So we're forced to settle for what we've got. Do not yell at us to stop bugging Bungie. People that are going to play this game for money are going to want things changed to make it a more even playing game.

I never said that all the maps are crap. I simply said that there need to be more good maps. Waterworks is like Infinity. Only good for 16 players, and as such will not be seeing the competitive atmosphere. Even with 16 players it's a very boring map. I happen to personally love Ascension, with the exception of the two carney-holes that need to be fixed, and I love Zanzibar, which is quite possibly a perfect map. Beaver Creek - yet another classic awesome map. Midship, Lockout and Ivory Tower are also good, yet both Midship and Lockout are over dominated by an infinite sword. At least in Ivory Tower you've got an even chance with a shottie and rockets on the map. Coagulation is hardly worth mentioning, it's just Blood Gulch 2, only flatter. My biggest gripe with that is that it's too flat, makes being a sniper extremely easy and racking up 10 kills with 12 shots is nothing. Headlong is a good map, but only if you have 12 players, as doing a 5v5 on it is hard. People will get lost quickly. Foundation, while good for Dawn of the Dead, and maybe a neutral bomb assault, is actually not that good of a map. Once one team has it locked down, there is almost no chance of the other team coming back, no matter how good they are. The map has too few choke points.

Spawns need to be addressed as well. It's all well and good for you to spawn away from the action to give yourself enough time to find a decent weapon, but say that action is someone stealing your flag or planting a bomb in your base. It's good to spawn at the other base, or halfway across the map with a short range weapon, right? Obviously not. I honestly don't know what Bungie was thinking when they came up with their spawn system, but it needs to be fixed, or at the least tweaked a bit. Spawning even 5 seconds closer to your base would fix a lot of headaches.

Glitches glitches glitches. I used the sword flying glitch as an example. I have seen it used in matches before, once you practice it, you can do it in a moments notice. The far more serious glitches concerning the instant flag captures/bomb plants, or the Midship bomb glitch, are the ones that need to be fixed ASAP. How about the whole grabbing the flag/bomb through a wall deal too? Yes, I know you can do it with weapons and whatnot, but there should be some way to make a flag or bomb NOT the same as a weapon. Give it a different collision model or something. Let's not forget our dear friend the dummy glitch either. Goes right back to the instant flag cap/bomb plant again.

The weapons need to be tweaked a bit, as do the grenades and vehicle physics. These are all minor changes to most, but seen in a competitive light, they make the difference between an also ran, and a top tier game.

Louis, I agree whole heartedly. Us die hard fans do make up a very small percentage, however, the changes we try to bring about will benefit the entire Halo 2 community by making better, more varied and more fair gameplay. Small percentage, but a very loud voice. I do what I can to take the "omgwtfh4xbungieisg4y" people, listen to their ideas, and correlate them into coherent thoughts. I don't hate Bungie, I just want them to do better and make this game what it can and should be. Was I being unfair in my previous post? Absolutely. I won't apologize for it though, because I was and am sticking up for what I believe is right. I try not to bash others opinions on any forums unless we both know I'm joking, but sometimes my sarcasm reaches extreme levels.

Chester, once again, quote people in their entirety, not little snippets to make yourself look like a golden boy.

the DJ

HaloImpulse

Message Index

Replies:

Re: Weekly What's UpdateSTB 12/31/04 11:49 p.m.
     Re: Weekly What's Updatedjpaddock20 1/1/05 12:00 a.m.
           Re: Weekly What's UpdateAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 1/1/05 9:10 a.m.
                 Re: Weekly What's Updatedjpaddock20 1/1/05 11:08 a.m.
                       Totally agree...Chester the Destroyer 1/1/05 12:47 p.m.
                             Re: Totally agree... Longdjpaddock20 1/1/05 6:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Totally agree... LongChester the Destroyer 1/1/05 9:36 p.m.
                                         Re: Totally agree... Longdjpaddock20 1/2/05 1:00 p.m.
                                         Re: Totally agree... LongSTB 1/2/05 9:06 p.m.
                                               Re: Totally agree... LongChester the Destroyer 1/2/05 10:43 p.m.
                                                     Re: Totally agree... LongAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 1/3/05 7:43 a.m.
                       Re: Weekly What's UpdateLouis Wu 1/1/05 5:42 p.m.
                             Re: Weekly What's UpdateSTB 1/1/05 5:55 p.m.
                                   Re: Weekly What's UpdateLouis Wu 1/1/05 6:15 p.m.
                                         Re: Weekly What's UpdateSTB 1/1/05 6:20 p.m.
                                               Re: Weekly What's UpdateLouis Wu 1/1/05 6:54 p.m.
                                                     Re: Weekly What's UpdateSTB 1/1/05 7:00 p.m.
                                                           Re: Weekly What's UpdateCount Zero 1/1/05 9:24 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Weekly What's UpdateRoss Mills [subnova] 1/2/05 3:09 a.m.
                       Re: Weekly What's UpdateAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 1/2/05 3:11 a.m.
                             Re: Weekly What's Updatedjpaddock20 1/2/05 1:00 p.m.
                             Re: Weekly What's UpdateSTB 1/2/05 8:50 p.m.
                                   Re: Weekly What's UpdateAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 1/3/05 7:59 a.m.
                                         Re: Weekly What's UpdateSTB 1/4/05 2:53 p.m.
                                               Re: Weekly What's UpdateAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 1/4/05 3:51 p.m.
                                                     Re: Weekly What's UpdateSTB 1/4/05 4:58 p.m.
                                                           Re: Weekly What's UpdateAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 1/4/05 5:10 p.m.
                                                                 Re: Weekly What's UpdateSTB 1/6/05 3:01 p.m.
                                                                       Re: Weekly What's UpdateAnton P. Nym (aka Steve) 1/6/05 3:15 p.m.
                       Re: Weekly What's UpdateGraymawr 1/2/05 1:30 p.m.
                             Re: Weekly What's UpdateSTB 1/2/05 8:45 p.m.
                                   Re: Weekly What's UpdateGraymawr 1/2/05 9:46 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.