glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.
Posted By: Vorpal Sword <mccower@clemson.edu>Date: 12/10/04 8:36 a.m.

In Response To: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. *SP* (Sep7imus [subnova])

I love it when people use words like "whence" correctly.

I agree that more openness from MS and Bungie probably would have eliminated some of the current whining. I enjoyed being surprised at playing as the Arbiter, but I don't think it would have dimmed my enthusiasm to know months beforehand that the plot would interweave the MC's story with the Arbiter's.

I don't think Bungie's secrecy is the major problem; I think the problem is one with their audience, instead.

I was a part of a couple of different fan communities for Fallout, a turn-based isometric RPG produced by Black Isle. The reason I stopped participating in them was two reasons, both of which I see mirrored in parts of the Halo community (thankfully, MUCH less at HBO than elsewhere): the fans were rude and intolerant, and they all seemed to feel as if they had a right to make demands of the game publisher.

I think the complaining that's going around about Halo 2 is a product of the fact that everyone thought they were going to get precisely what they wanted, and they didn't. Bungie did exactly what good game companies ought to do: they listened to their fans, they did their best to filter a signal out of the noise, and then they did what they thought was best for the game and the company. Their error was in keeping the marketing campaign vague enough that people could project their individual expectations onto the game.

You can find dozens of perfect examples on the Bungie boards, and there have been a couple here (I won't name names, mostly because I'm too lazy to look them up). The subtext is "I wanted feature x, and I didn't get it, so Halo 2 isn't as good a game as I was expecting." Feature x ranges from the old-style pistol to a more complete ending, but it all boils down to the same argument.

Halo 2 is an excellent game; I can't ascribe to the idea that it's only a "good" game, rather than a "great" game. I think that, in twenty years, Halo will be remembered as a series of games known for their intricate, integrated storyline and standard-setting multiplayer experience--not the fact that you only spend about a third of the MC's storyline on Earth.

Message Index

Replies:

The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. *SP*Sep7imus [subnova] 12/10/04 8:06 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. Vorpal Sword 12/10/04 8:36 a.m.
     Hmm...Ducain 12/10/04 8:54 a.m.
           Agreed *NM*Andrew Nagy 12/10/04 9:42 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. Warbow 12/10/04 9:00 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Captain Spark 12/10/04 9:08 a.m.
     I agree *long*Epyon 12/10/04 9:11 a.m.
           Re: I agree *long*Zaknafein 12/10/04 11:57 a.m.
                 Re: I agree *long*Sep7imus [subnova] 12/10/04 12:22 p.m.
           Re: I agree *long*Hikaru-119 12/10/04 12:16 p.m.
                 Re: I agree *long*Epyon 12/10/04 2:49 p.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Ma1agate 12/10/04 9:27 a.m.
     Secrecy=good, Hype=badScanner Darkly 12/10/04 9:32 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. Ross Mills [subnova] 12/10/04 9:37 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.madcowjim 12/10/04 9:50 a.m.
           Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Lakhesis 12/10/04 1:40 p.m.
                 Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Sep7imus [subnova] 12/10/04 1:54 p.m.
                       Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Lakhesis 12/10/04 3:35 p.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did.Clefton Twain 12/10/04 11:07 a.m.
     Re: The hype didn't hurt Halo 2. The secrecy did. Eric 12/10/04 3:51 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.