glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!
Posted By: ThorsHammer <Nate4D@comcast.net>Date: 3/14/04 11:36 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?! (ViolentlyHappy)

: Before I start, I'd like to make it clear that this entire discussion is
: about Halo Xbox.

That's all I have.

: I actually have little objection to camping on the PC
: version, because: A. You usually don't know the people you're playing
: against.

...Which affects the legitimacy of camping how?

: B. With the horrendous lag, oftentimes the only way to get a kill or two is
: to camp (and kill campers)

: Oxymoron.

If skilled camping is an oxymoron, then why are you so frustrated by the campers? If they have no skill, you should be popping their skulls open whenever they even try...

: This, I would say, is the primal definition of winning in Halo, but there is
: a much more sophisticated way to judge who wins. I don't know what you and
: your friends consider to be winning, but would you call someone who kills
: his teammates before theyre about to score and takes the capture for
: himself two out of three times the winner, even if he dies 5 times as much
: as he kills? His name has a 1 next to it, so he must be the winner, right?

I was referring to a free-for-all, which I guess I should have specified. In the case of team games), there's only a winning team, and a losing one. The individual players' scores don't matter at all. Trying to claim that any one player is the "winner" in a team game is just plain stupid, and my friends and I never view it that way.

: I don't play with people who are all of the same skill level.

Nor do I. Some of my friends are better. Some are worse.

: While this
: would be nice, it just isn't possible. Myself and a few other people are
: at a level as such that we can sit near a base or above it, either in a
: dark area or behind a hill of some sorts, and kill people before they have
: a chance to fight back.

People do this occasionally at our LANs. One friend of mine can get a headshot with the sniper at least 75% of the time, and on good days more like 90%. Even so, he gets stomped fast when he does this. It's a part of the game, and when someone hangs there too long, they pay the price.

: Yes, even if they try to jump or crouch or
: something, it just makes them that much easier to kill. Only when four or
: so spawn at once can the camper be defeated.

Usually in our games, the camper is killed by someone coming from another area of the map. If he is killing guys as they spawn, he's visible from somewhere, and he goes down quick. If he's not killing people, well then, nobody really cares what he's doing.

: I don't think that it takes a
: certain amount of skill to kill a camper, because a camper has about half
: a second before the spawner either gets to a safe place or can look at
: him, so unless the spawner miraculous spawns looking directly at him, if
: that camper can get a headshot (which is almost always the case in LANs I
: attend) there's absolutely nothing that the spawner can do, skill-wise, to
: rid themselves of the camper. They either have to spawn all at once or
: hope he's reloading, but that has absolutely nothing to do with their
: skill.

This sounds weird to me, seeing as how I've never played in a LAN where every single player spawns in the exact same location, one at a time, which is the only way I can see this scenario working at all. Again, in our games, any given player will rack up a few kills spawncamping, and then get whacked by someone coming in from another area. Now, the games I play in are usually really large, as in 12-16 players, so this might pan out differently if you're playing in smaller groups.

: Don't even get me started.

: I'm sorry man, I don't know who you play Halo with, but they really seem to
: be a bunch of assholes.

ass·hole
n. Vulgar Slang
(1) The anus.

(2) A thoroughly contemptible, detestable person.

(3) The most miserable or undesirable place in a particular area. [def. from Dictionary.com]

Well, it's hard to play Halo with an anus, so I guess that definition doesn't work. Let us proceed to number two. Well, no, I don't think that most of us fit in that category either. Number three can't really be applied to humans, I don't believe. I suppose, then, that you must have intended the second definition to be applied.

It turns out that I play Halo with my friends, as opposed to choosing my friends because they play Halo. It just happens to be a common interest we all share, since we're computer geeks, and gamers. Your declaration of my friends (and thus implicitly myself) as "thoroughly contemptible, detestable people", doesn't sit too well with me.

Particularly since you declare us to be such since we don't play a video game the way you do.

: If people do these things, there's a simple
: solution: don't play with them. Trust me, I've played with the campers and
: the screenwatchers and used their tactics myself, but it's never as fun as
: playing legitimately with others who do the same. Plus, since it's hard to
: keep yourself from looking at the other screen, different teams always
: play in different rooms. Makes for much more strategizing and it's a lot
: more fun because you can actually sneak around without the other team
: seeing exactly where you are. This is what makes it more like the war
: that you seem to crave, and less like some stupid videogame. And it's
: really a lot of fun.

Yep, that's what I like about the game too.

: I guess I won't. Oh wait, maybe I can use something else. I think it's
: called...experience. The guy who wrote that guide didn't learn his
: strategies from the Halo Buddha, he picked them up through experience.
: While some of his strategies may be good ones, there are always better
: alternatives.

Well, funnily enough, that's mostly how I learned to play Halo too.

No more from me, then, on this topic.

-Nate

Woah! A buncha links with almost no content!

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:10 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Satesh 3/13/04 4:24 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:36 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!XLNC 3/13/04 5:38 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/13/04 8:21 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Cam 3/14/04 3:28 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/14/04 7:01 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!MC vince 3/14/04 8:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Miguel Chavez 3/15/04 1:33 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/15/04 2:03 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Narcogen 3/17/04 5:45 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/17/04 3:46 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Shishka 3/13/04 4:35 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:38 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Shishka 3/13/04 4:41 p.m.
                       DINK! *NM*Matt(Uh...#5?) 3/13/04 4:43 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:49 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!why isnt my hitman47 name working???? 3/13/04 4:53 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Shishka 3/13/04 5:46 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:13 p.m.
                                         Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!KOPD 3/13/04 6:33 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:39 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!why isnt my hitman47 name working???? 3/13/04 4:44 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!why isnt my hitman47 name working???? 3/13/04 4:46 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:51 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!shotgun crazy 3/13/04 4:44 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!HaloNater 3/13/04 5:06 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 5:16 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!DaChameleon 3/13/04 6:09 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:16 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/13/04 6:17 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Retard 3/13/04 6:19 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:34 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!discordian 23 3/13/04 6:35 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:44 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!mister chiffe 3/13/04 7:37 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Frensa Geran 3/13/04 10:21 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ThorsHammer 3/13/04 11:22 p.m.
           Morality *OT*MikeMan445 3/14/04 2:25 p.m.
                 Re: Morality *OT*Louis Wu 3/15/04 4:26 a.m.
                       Hmmm...zugy 3/17/04 5:08 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/14/04 4:15 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ThorsHammer 3/14/04 11:36 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Werny 3/14/04 12:38 a.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/14/04 4:17 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.