glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!
Posted By: ViolentlyHappy <smrice@adelphia.net>Date: 3/14/04 4:15 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?! (ThorsHammer)

Before I start, I'd like to make it clear that this entire discussion is about Halo Xbox. I actually have little objection to camping on the PC version, because:
A. You usually don't know the people you're playing against.
B. With the horrendous lag, oftentimes the only way to get a kill or two is to camp (and kill campers)

: skilled camping.

Oxymoron.

: However, the definition of winning in Halo is universally the same for all
: people, and nobody argues over it: The name with a 1 next to it has won.
: The name with a 2 next it has come in second...

This, I would say, is the primal definition of winning in Halo, but there is a much more sophisticated way to judge who wins. I don't know what you and your friends consider to be winning, but would you call someone who kills his teammates before theyre about to score and takes the capture for himself two out of three times the winner, even if he dies 5 times as much as he kills? His name has a 1 next to it, so he must be the winner, right?

: Please tell me where these guys are camping; I've never found a location like
: this in the two years I've played Halo. I've found some good ones, but
: always the group I play with sorts them out in a maximum of ten
: collective deaths, usually less. I can still catch them off-guard with
: these once in a while, but if I stay there more than a few kills, I'll be
: toasted.

I don't play with people who are all of the same skill level. While this would be nice, it just isn't possible. Myself and a few other people are at a level as such that we can sit near a base or above it, either in a dark area or behind a hill of some sorts, and kill people before they have a chance to fight back. Yes, even if they try to jump or crouch or something, it just makes them that much easier to kill. Only when four or so spawn at once can the camper be defeated. I don't think that it takes a certain amount of skill to kill a camper, because a camper has about half a second before the spawner either gets to a safe place or can look at him, so unless the spawner miraculous spawns looking directly at him, if that camper can get a headshot (which is almost always the case in LANs I attend) there's absolutely nothing that the spawner can do, skill-wise, to rid themselves of the camper. They either have to spawn all at once or hope he's reloading, but that has absolutely nothing to do with their skill.

: screenlook

Don't even get me started.

: Finally, one day, I realized that no
: matter what I did, people would keep doing these things.

I'm sorry man, I don't know who you play Halo with, but they really seem to be a bunch of assholes. If people do these things, there's a simple solution: don't play with them. Trust me, I've played with the campers and the screenwatchers and used their tactics myself, but it's never as fun as playing legitimately with others who do the same. Plus, since it's hard to keep yourself from looking at the other screen, different teams always play in different rooms. Makes for much more strategizing and it's a lot more fun because you can actually sneak around without the other team seeing exactly where you are. This is what makes it more like the war that you seem to crave, and less like some stupid videogame. And it's really a lot of fun.

: Well, that's a shame. When next you get picked off by a sniper on Sidewinder
: while climbing the ladder to the top of the base, I guess you won't know
: where to lay the smack with that rocket launcher. Pity.

I guess I won't. Oh wait, maybe I can use something else. I think it's called...experience. The guy who wrote that guide didn't learn his strategies from the Halo Buddha, he picked them up through experience. While some of his strategies may be good ones, there are always better alternatives.

117online.com

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:10 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Satesh 3/13/04 4:24 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:36 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!XLNC 3/13/04 5:38 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/13/04 8:21 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Cam 3/14/04 3:28 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/14/04 7:01 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!MC vince 3/14/04 8:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Miguel Chavez 3/15/04 1:33 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/15/04 2:03 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Narcogen 3/17/04 5:45 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/17/04 3:46 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Shishka 3/13/04 4:35 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:38 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Shishka 3/13/04 4:41 p.m.
                       DINK! *NM*Matt(Uh...#5?) 3/13/04 4:43 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:49 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!why isnt my hitman47 name working???? 3/13/04 4:53 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Shishka 3/13/04 5:46 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:13 p.m.
                                         Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!KOPD 3/13/04 6:33 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:39 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!why isnt my hitman47 name working???? 3/13/04 4:44 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!why isnt my hitman47 name working???? 3/13/04 4:46 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:51 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!shotgun crazy 3/13/04 4:44 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!HaloNater 3/13/04 5:06 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 5:16 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!DaChameleon 3/13/04 6:09 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:16 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/13/04 6:17 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Retard 3/13/04 6:19 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:34 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!discordian 23 3/13/04 6:35 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:44 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!mister chiffe 3/13/04 7:37 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Frensa Geran 3/13/04 10:21 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ThorsHammer 3/13/04 11:22 p.m.
           Morality *OT*MikeMan445 3/14/04 2:25 p.m.
                 Re: Morality *OT*Louis Wu 3/15/04 4:26 a.m.
                       Hmmm...zugy 3/17/04 5:08 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/14/04 4:15 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ThorsHammer 3/14/04 11:36 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Werny 3/14/04 12:38 a.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/14/04 4:17 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.