glyphstrip
Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!
Posted By: ThorsHammer <Nate4D@comcast.net>Date: 3/13/04 11:22 p.m.

In Response To: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?! (ViolentlyHappy)

: Quote: Play like Machiavelli. Don't let your enemies make fun of you for
: playing like a wuss or employing "cheap" tactics. Any tactic
: that wins is not cheap. Become a "happy camper" and when your
: enemies complain just show them the score and challenge them to find a way
: to beat you or shut up.

This is how you win. My friends and I have proven it many times against the "camping sucks!" crowd. We're at our best in close-up, wild gunfights, but some of us (myself included) have learned at least the basics of skilled camping.

: That's where I stopped reading. Seriously, who in their right mind actually
: condones camping? Camping is cheap, dishonorable, and should be nothing
: other than discouraged. Sure, taking steroids for the olympics is a tactic
: that wins. So it must not be cheap! Whoopee!
: Got a problem with your ex? Shoot him/her! You win, must not be cheap!
: Can't make the payments on your house? Blow up the bank! You win! Can't
: possibly be cheap!

This isn't valid logic. You begin with the implied statement "The goal of life is to win." You have a secondary implied statement, which is "The goal of playing Halo is to win." You then employ the logical fallacy known as equivocation, and try to argue that winning in life and winning in Halo are defined in the same manner (You also do the same thing with the word "cheap", but we'll stick with one example for now). Therefore, any conclusions you come to throughout the rest of this argument cannot be taken as valid, as they're based on fallacious reasoning.

To illustrate this point: I wouldn't take steroids to win a sporting event. Why? Because I consider it to be "losing", as it (1) violates the moral code I follow as a Christian, and (2) has pretty good odds of destroying my body. However, an atheist who doesn't believe in morality and doesn't care about his lifespan (yes, they exist, I've met them) might define "winning" so that he'd be quite happy to win at sports via steroids. You see? Although I may think someone else's definition of "winning" at real life is wrong (which it might be), they still make their own definition, and use it throughout their life.

However, the definition of winning in Halo is universally the same for all people, and nobody argues over it: The name with a 1 next to it has won. The name with a 2 next it has come in second...

: Now I know someone is going to say "OMG U JUST SAY DAT B/C U SUK N PPL
: KILL U BYE CAMPING U N00B!!!111" This (nor its english translation)
: is the case. I have no problem beating people who are camping, but
: nonetheless it is an annoying and most definitely cheap when you have a
: huge disadvantage at killing someone because they decide to piss you off
: by standing in one place where they can see everything and you can hardly
: touch them.

Please tell me where these guys are camping; I've never found a location like this in the two years I've played Halo. I've found some good ones, but always the group I play with sorts them out in a maximum of ten collective deaths, usually less. I can still catch them off-guard with these once in a while, but if I stay there more than a few kills, I'll be toasted.

: Seriously people, it's a video game , not some life or death
: struggle with your arch nemesis. Show a little common courtesy, play
: fairly, and everyone will have a much better time. Winning isn't
: everything. Someone needs to set Mr. Kris Hull straight.

In Halo, as in all video games, the idea of what's fair has been established by the creators of the game, when they created the gametypes, maps, weapons, and overall game balance. Since Bungie failed to include the "fifteen-seconds-stationary-induce-painful-camper-death" flag, I conclude that camping is thought to be a legitimate, fair part of the game.

Once, when I first started playing Halo, I would whine and moan about two things: Camping, and screenlook. Finally, one day, I realized that no matter what I did, people would keep doing these things. So, I started incorporating them into my strategy. After I did this, I discovered a whole side to Halo that I'd never seen before, and it added tons of fun to an already cool dynamic.

: I'm sure the rest of it was an excellent guide, but I was too turned off to
: go any further.

Well, that's a shame. When next you get picked off by a sniper on Sidewinder while climbing the ladder to the top of the base, I guess you won't know where to lay the smack with that rocket launcher. Pity.

-Nate

Woah! A buncha links with almost no content!

Message Index

Replies:

Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:10 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Satesh 3/13/04 4:24 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:36 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!XLNC 3/13/04 5:38 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/13/04 8:21 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Cam 3/14/04 3:28 a.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/14/04 7:01 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!MC vince 3/14/04 8:16 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Miguel Chavez 3/15/04 1:33 a.m.
                                         Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/15/04 2:03 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Narcogen 3/17/04 5:45 a.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/17/04 3:46 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Shishka 3/13/04 4:35 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:38 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Shishka 3/13/04 4:41 p.m.
                       DINK! *NM*Matt(Uh...#5?) 3/13/04 4:43 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:49 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!why isnt my hitman47 name working???? 3/13/04 4:53 p.m.
                             Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Shishka 3/13/04 5:46 p.m.
                                   Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:13 p.m.
                                         Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!KOPD 3/13/04 6:33 p.m.
                                               Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:39 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!why isnt my hitman47 name working???? 3/13/04 4:44 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!why isnt my hitman47 name working???? 3/13/04 4:46 p.m.
                       Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 4:51 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!shotgun crazy 3/13/04 4:44 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!HaloNater 3/13/04 5:06 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 5:16 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!DaChameleon 3/13/04 6:09 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:16 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!vector40 3/13/04 6:17 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Retard 3/13/04 6:19 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:34 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!discordian 23 3/13/04 6:35 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/13/04 6:44 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!mister chiffe 3/13/04 7:37 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Frensa Geran 3/13/04 10:21 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ThorsHammer 3/13/04 11:22 p.m.
           Morality *OT*MikeMan445 3/14/04 2:25 p.m.
                 Re: Morality *OT*Louis Wu 3/15/04 4:26 a.m.
                       Hmmm...zugy 3/17/04 5:08 p.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/14/04 4:15 p.m.
                 Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ThorsHammer 3/14/04 11:36 p.m.
     Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!Werny 3/14/04 12:38 a.m.
           Re: Halo Multiplayer Guide-Condoning cheapness?!ViolentlyHappy 3/14/04 4:17 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.