Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Ah, fond memories *long*
Posted By: Toby Dillman <MeanPeopleSuck32@aol.com>Date: 11/15/03 8:35 p.m.

In Response To: My Halo 2 Anniversary Story. *long* but good (Gre'Thor117)

Christmas, 2001. A 14 year old Toby Dillman awaits impatiently his chance to rip into the bundle of packages under the tree. Having long been a Nintendo fanatic, playing from Mario Brothers on the NES to the Legend of Zelda on the N64, he'd heard of the Gamecube and its rival, the Xbox.

Now, to Toby, receiving anything but a Gamecube for Christmas would have been blashpemy. Needless to say, Toby was an ignorant teenager. He did, however, receive the Gamecube and was ecstatic to play. Then, two weeks later, he went to his friend's house and discovered the magic that is Halo.

"Christ, that thing's a beast," remarked Toby, at the sight of the Xbox.
"Shut up and grab a controller, you goofy Norwegian," retorted his friend Anthony.
"What'd they model this thing after, a hamburger?" he said, as he sat down in a chair in front of the TV with the controller in his hands.

This was Toby's first experience with the Xbox, though he'd heard of the hype and had even visited some fansites for some certain games. One of them, namely, was Halo, which was currently spinning in the Xbox. Toby watched as the load screen wiped across the television, and gaped in awe at the coolest looking load screen he'd ever seen in a game.

He created a profile, with the Y-axis inverted, of course. He'd never understood how people could play any other way. After stumbling through all the options for his character, Anthony loaded up the level Assault on the Control Room, Legendary difficulty. Toby started to dispute the choice, but his comrade held up a finger for silence.

The opening cutscene began, and Toby nearly dropped his controller. It looked so much better than anything he'd ever been able to imagine. The Pelican, as he was later told it was called, touched down on a small platform suspended above a huge chasm, and from a door sprinted blue and red aliens. Elites. Oh crap, I'm screwed thought Toby.

He'd familiarized himself with the controls prior to beginning the game, so he wasn't running into walls and throwing random grenades at his parter, but despite his so-called accustomization and preparation he got himself wasted. Plasma bolts struck him repeatedly in the face and chest and he keeled over in a heap.

That was two years ago. Approximately fifty weeks after this particular incident, and after extensive practice through both multiplayer and campaign modes, it was time for Toby's turn to rock. The Xbox and Halo had been on his list since he'd played it that one fateful day. He remembers tearing into the large box, pulling out the Xbox and Halo, and - what the hell is this thing? A Controller-S? Huh. Odd. Well, it was all Toby had to use, so use it he did.

And to great avail. Today, that's all Toby uses. Today, Assault on the Control Room on Legendary isn't intimidating, but enjoyable. Today, Toby is the one landing three shot kills in Multiplayer, and blasting people cross-level with the sniper rifle in Blood Gulch. Toby even went so far as to save a Post Game Carnage Report from one particularly satisfying game on XBC, to use only as shameless self-promotion.

And that, my friends, is the story of how Toby's livelihood came into being.

Message Index

Replies:

My Halo 2 Anniversary Story. *long* but goodGre'Thor117 11/15/03 1:08 p.m.
     Well, here's mine.Mr. Mechanical 11/15/03 3:24 p.m.
           Okay, sorry for double posting but-Mr. Mechanical 11/15/03 3:45 p.m.
     Re: My Halo 2 Anniversary Story. *long* but goodJono-san 11/15/03 4:01 p.m.
     Ah, fond memories *long*Toby Dillman 11/15/03 8:35 p.m.
           my story, longg....omegabullit 11/15/03 9:48 p.m.
           Re: Ah, fond memories *long*Toby Dillman 11/15/03 10:48 p.m.
                 Hmm...Toby Dillman 11/15/03 11:02 p.m.
                 Re: Ah, fond memories *long*Alexis 11/16/03 7:46 p.m.
                       Re: Ah, fond memoriesKOPD 11/16/03 7:53 p.m.
     Re: My Halo 2 Anniversary Story. *long* but goodDjof 11/15/03 10:08 p.m.
           Re: My Halo 2 Anniversary Story. *long* but goodDan Chosich 11/16/03 4:38 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.