Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Speculation on water loss
Posted By: Viscily II <arenjinix@yahoo.com>Date: 9/29/03 6:54 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Speculation on water loss (Grady)

: Not necessarily. Oxygen is nice and reactive, and tends to disappear from an
: atmosphere (into reactions with rocks, CO2 via fires where there's
: vegetation, oxidation of metal where present, etc.), so I'd expect the
: oxygen level in the atmosphere to be mostly determined by the Halo
: ecosystem. (In fact, oxygen in a planet's atmosphere is a pretty certain
: sign of life, since nothing else can cause it to persist for long.) Still,
: who's to say how Halo's atmospheric composition may have changed since it
: was last maintained...

: --Grady

What makes you so sure that the presense of oxygen is an almost certain sign of life? By the way, oxygen hasn't always been a blessing for life. A long, long time ago (I'm talking before the dinosuars), oxygen actually acted as a poison to many organisms. I can't quite remember all the details, but I'm pretty sure that the main gas that supported life back then was nitrogen. Due to a surge in certain organisms that were sustained by oxygen or some other natural phenomenon that occured over many years, oxygen slowly but surely began to increase in our atmosphere, and nitrogen began to decline. Now don't consider this to be some kind of expert opinion, but I'm pretty damn sure that what I've said is true at least to the extent that oxygen levels were at one time relatively low in the earth's atmosphere and that it acted mainly as a poison for most organisms. The presense of oxygen is probably a pretty good indicator of life, but this can also apply to other gasses as well depending on the envirment.

As a side note, it certainly seems that the flood are well adapted to oxygen. I wonder if their original atmosphere (if their not origianlly from Halo that is) was mostly filled with oxygen or some other gas. The answer to that question would certainly help us figure out much in terms of who the flood are, where they came from, etc. However, be very conscious of the possibility that we could all be looking too much into this. I mean, if Bungie was able to effectively incorporate all the different things that have been discused on the HSP into the Halo universe in a way that makes sense, then they are truly a bunch of freakin' geniuses. The kind of genius that only comes along once in a life time if your lucky.

Message Index

Replies:

Speculation on water lossGrady 9/25/03 1:29 a.m.
     Re: Speculation on water lossInfininja 9/25/03 3:58 p.m.
           Re: Speculation on water lossGrady 9/25/03 4:59 p.m.
                 Re: Speculation on water lossInfininja 9/25/03 5:55 p.m.
                       Re: Speculation on water lossAlianAnt 9/25/03 6:05 p.m.
                             Re: Speculation on water lossInfininja 9/25/03 6:12 p.m.
                                   Re: Speculation on water lossGrady 9/25/03 10:14 p.m.
                 Re: Speculation on water lossViscily II 9/29/03 6:54 p.m.
     Re: Speculation on water lossMicahst 9/25/03 8:56 p.m.
           Re: Speculation on water lossMicahst 9/25/03 9:02 p.m.
     Re: Speculation on water lossPlastic Chicken 9/25/03 10:43 p.m.
           Re: Speculation on water lossPlastic Chicken 9/25/03 10:46 p.m.
                 Re: Speculation on water lossInfininja 9/25/03 10:54 p.m.
                       Re: Speculation on water lossPlastic Chicken 9/27/03 10:01 p.m.
           Re: Speculation on water lossGrady 9/26/03 12:16 a.m.
                 Re: Speculation on water lossGrady 9/26/03 2:09 a.m.
                       Re: Speculation on water lossInfininja 9/26/03 7:19 a.m.
                             Re: Speculation on water lossGrady 9/26/03 12:12 p.m.
                                   Re: Speculation on water lossInfininja 9/26/03 1:21 p.m.
                       Re: Speculation on water lossPlastic Chicken 9/28/03 1:25 a.m.
                             I meant m/s/s *NM* *NM*Plastic Chicken 9/28/03 2:06 a.m.
     Re: Speculation on water lossDwain 9/29/03 7:37 a.m.
           Re: Flood alter the atmosphere?Wado SG 9/29/03 1:21 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.