Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?
Posted By: Vanillathunder <newman_126@hotmail.com>Date: 9/25/03 10:47 a.m.

"Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar..."
-Sigmund Freud

Hello, all!

I'm a lurker round these parts and I've been reading some of your amazing analysis of Halo.

Anyways, I've been on the "MC = Reclaimer = Humans/Forerunner" bandwagon for a while and I've been pondering 343GS's speech lately.

Did anyone ever think that the line...

"Why would you hesitate to do what you've already done (sic)?"

Was just 343GS restating the obvious?

Occam's Razor : "one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything"

Why are we going off the deep end speculating on these crazy theories when the answer could just be sitting in front of our faces?

We're retrieving the index, which enables the Halo to fire... 343GS has (we can safely assume) the events on Halo. He sees that we're actively searching for the "Weapon on Halo". 343GS assumes that we know what we're doing. The Flood have been released and protocol states that the Halo is to fire when to prevent the Flood from spreading.

That being said... if we're looking for something in particular, if you, the caretaker of said installation were watching, wouldn't you assume you that entity knew what it was doing?

Supporting evidence:

Mjolnir armor : Stolen covenant technology adapted. Forerunner based. (?)So, 343GS should at least think at that point that we've had contact with the forerunner.

Knowledge of the Halo's structure : Ok, maybe we're not gurus, but we've found enough places on the Halo to at least LOOK like we know where we're going and what we're doing.

Humans ARE known to 343GS : The comment he makes about missing Human history shows us that the Forerunner/343GS were aware of the humans to some degree. Perhaps we were a fledgling species they were observing at that point and while we weren't sufficent for flood food (hence, not wiped out by the Halo firing) but on the brink of that jump to "real sentience" that we were one of the next "great hopes" for rebuilding the galaxy. (along with the covenant races)

343 GS could safely assume that since there's 2 advanced races on the Halo and poking around, that we're a bit farther along in our "rediscovery of the Forerunner" journey than we should be.

Humans, Technology not as advanced yet, but far enough along to adapt and travel through space. We've stolen a few tricks on the way.

Covenant, Stolen all of their technology, but to the uninitiated, look like they're a LOT smarter than they really are.

That all being said, we've found the flood and released them...

So, being the smartypants that we are.. we (343GS thinks) know protocol. We decide to take the steps to fire the Halo (in our ignorance).

That all being said..

343GS helps us the way he knows how.. we grab the index, get to the brink of firing the Halo.

343GS in his assumption, gets confused. We've released the flood, we're about to fire halo...

"Why would you hesitate to do what you've already done (sic)?"

Which is prep the Halo for firing and follow protocol...

I've been a Bungie fan since PiTD, and I'll say that I know Bungie likes the weird plot twists, but maybe this time, this statement is just a Red Herring? If I've learned anything from Bungie over the years, it's that you *don't* trust the A.I. ;) (especially when the address is from Piltdown...)

Anyways.. discuss!

Message Index

Replies:

Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Vanillathunder 9/25/03 10:47 a.m.
     Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Hikaru-119 9/25/03 12:23 p.m.
     Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Infantier 9/25/03 12:25 p.m.
           Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Vanillathunder 9/25/03 1:33 p.m.
                 Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Sep7imus [subnova] 9/25/03 1:39 p.m.
                       Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Vanillathunder 9/25/03 1:42 p.m.
                 Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Mr. Mechanical 9/25/03 2:44 p.m.
                       Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Surrept 9/25/03 3:01 p.m.
                             Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Vanillathunder 9/25/03 3:15 p.m.
                 Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Surrept 9/25/03 2:47 p.m.
                       Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Vanillathunder 9/25/03 3:17 p.m.
                 Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?that guy over there who smiles just a bit too wide 9/26/03 5:41 p.m.
           Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Druff 9/27/03 4:01 a.m.
                 Re: Reading TOO much into Guilty Spark?Druff 9/27/03 4:07 a.m.
     MC PlumberWado SG 9/25/03 3:43 p.m.
           Bravo, sir!Mr. Mechanical 9/25/03 4:57 p.m.
           Damn you!mnemesis 9/25/03 5:40 p.m.
                 Nooooooo, I'm sorry I won't do it again... :) *NM*Wado SG 9/25/03 5:50 p.m.
           That is hilariousMiguel Chavez 9/25/03 7:09 p.m.
           Hysterical... not to mention insightful :) *NM*Finn 9/25/03 11:51 p.m.
           Exceptionally cool! :) *NM*Tursas 9/26/03 12:21 p.m.
           good job.HipboyScott 9/26/03 3:05 p.m.
                 Re: Thanks allWado SG 9/26/03 3:41 p.m.
           Teh golden comedy! *NM*Jamirus99 9/26/03 3:34 p.m.
           MC Plumber in haloothat guy over there who smiles just a bit too wide 9/26/03 5:28 p.m.
           Re: MC Plumberthat guy over there who smiles just a bit too wide 9/26/03 6:42 p.m.
                 Re: MC Plumbermeleeman 9/26/03 8:28 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.