Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

HBO Weekly Review
Posted By: Weekly ReviewDate: 8/26/03 12:56 p.m.

Wow! 4,600+ posts this week. Enough to want to put toothpicks into my eyes! However, the signal this week shows signs of returning to life!

On with the show!

HBO Weekly Review

Week Ending Sunday, August 24, 2003

Straight from Bungie's word-hole

1. dmauro writes: "hehe, yeah I could probably do all that stuff. Haven't tried it yet. I just played with it in BG for a little while."

Evil Otto: "I'm surprised nobody has figured out how to detatch the camera and fly it around."

2. Wado SG writes: "{responding to 'Lanwerx, and the Penny Arcade guys for giving those present the thrills that they did, through Halo PC, the live demo, and the tournaments... not to mention the simple pleasure of their presence.' Definitely, they rock."

SketchFactor: "It was definitely a great time and I'm glad the PA guys invited us to stop by. Funny how I can nail that airborn ghost in my sleep with my eyes closed yet of course, in front of the crowd, I just had to miss. =) Oh well. Also, Acrhonos gave the 2nd demo, not one of the Cananimators (though they were both there). I also have to give huge props to the Halo PC father/son duo. You guys were kicking some serious butt. Yes, the Bungie Halo PC team lost pretty decisively in a pick up match of slayer on Timberland. I guess some of us have just played too much Halo 2 and not enough Halo PC. Talk about your tough tradeoffs... =)

It was good to meet new folks and hopefully we'll be able to do something like this again since it's right in our backyard."

3. ON-X writes: "Does anyone have a video of halo 2 being played by the Cananimator? If so would they post it? Arrrrrrrrrrrrrg, i was still on vacation when the event happened!"

Achronos: "Hey! Cananimators don't do demos. I was the one doing the second demo. Bah! No respect, I tell you!"

Louis Wu responds: "Respect is EARNED, my friend.

Oh, wait...

(In all seriousness - respect Achronos. He's pretty damn good at what he does. Even if he looks funny doing it.)"

Exogenesis follows with: "What - shooting your teammates and then falling out of Ghosts?"

Achronos: "Wait just a minute there. Those marines didn't even feel that, and that one who's helmet flew off needed the sunshine.

As for the ghost, at least I hit the one that went airborne, unlike a certain other person who gave a demo that day. :)"

4. The Shrike writes: "Bungie Programmer Jaimie Greissler also commented, "Wow. If Bill [Gates] wanted us to write software, why'd he give us access to Microsoft's tennis courts, swimming pool, and softball diamond?"

Anim8rJB: ""Bungie Programmer Jaimie Greissler "

Wow, who's this guy? We have a designer that has a similar name, but no programmer that goes by the one mentioned above."

5. vshields ash writes: "i think shrikes trolling...:("

SketchFactor: "Where's my quote about Gnop? =0"

Gettin it in Gearbox

1. Iced Zulu writes: "I need to ask a question on Halo for the PC. Will I have to pay a monthly fee? Like Sony Online Entertainment does? I hope not."

Hellface: "Heck No."

Louis Wu writes: "One of these days we're gonna have to put up a list that says "here are the Bungie employees that post here... and here are the Gearbox ones."

Folks are getting better at recognizing the Bungie ones (because their handles pop up in more places than just here - say, news stories on B.net)... but the Gearbox guys are a bit more unknown here, at least to those who don't frequent Gearbox's forums.

DH is right, though - if Hellface (a Gb employee) says it ain't so (in no uncertain terms), it ain't so."

botman: "So, let's see... there's HellFace and me (botman) and who else???

I guess you'd have to click on the "View Profile" thingy on the main forum page and see what e-mail address their using (although mine isn't gearboxsoftware.com), and HellFace doesn't show up there, or hope that their profile indicates who they work for (which mine now does)."

2. MadThief writes: "Louis Wu and Shishka, I have a question that has been on my mind since I read your experiances with Halo Pc. My question involves the pistol and the sniper rifle adjustments that gearbox made. I would guess maybe you guys were using the flamethrower and the fuel rod gun more often since those are new weapons. Anyways, I read that both of the weapons were made a bit weaker(for balancing issues I think). Now for my question, did u like the new adjustments or were you to busy having fun to even notice.(which would be understandable)

P.s. I didnt look to see if this topic has been posted before. So I apologize if i double posted..thanks"

Louis Wu responds: "I didn't notice any changes in the strength of the sniper rifle - but that's probably because I wasn't used to the controls enough to actually be able to tell. :)

I agree that the zoom shift is minimal. (Although Marc Tardif said it REALLY WAS a change - not just a cosmetic number swap.)

The pistol is still a good weapon - just not the dominating piece of hardware it used to be. Like DH, I think this is a good thing. :)"

botman: "Just to put your mind at ease (hopefully). :)

Gearbox has spent several months balancing the weapons to compensate for the switching to keyboard/mouse controls. Long time FPS PC gamers will quickly realize which weapons are best in certain situations (pistol & sniper rifle - good long range accuracy, fuel rod gun & rocket launcher - good medium range splash damage, shotgun & flame thrower - good close range, wide blast radius, etc.) One of the most interesting features in Halo multiplayer is limiting the player to choose between 2 weapons (do you REALLY want to trade your sniper rifle for that fuel rod gun?).

Also we have spent lots of time balancing item placement in the new maps. While the new Halo PC maps were in development, everybody at Gearbox would jump into a multiplayer server running the new maps and play for several hours each day. After each play test session, we would send feedback about the map (item placement, weapon damage, good sniping spots, areas of the map that were to dark or too bright, etc.). The level designers would tweak the maps the next day and we would play them again and provide more feedback. This would happen day after day for many weeks.

Everybody that works at Gearbox IS a gamer. We all love playing (and making) FPS games. Many of the level designers and coders working here are well known in the Quake and Half-Life community and they KNOW what works as far as First Person Shooters goes.

Plus the nice thing about PC games is that if something needs to be tweaked after the game is released, the developers can provide an update to correct it (which is impossible to do for most console games).

Once you get Halo PC and get used to playing Halo with a mouse and keyboard, I am very confident that you will be pleased with the gameplay."

Opie301 continues: "Nominally, this was added to the post to show how dedicated botman and the people at gearbox are to producing a quality game.

In reality, he added it just to show all of you that he's been playing Halo PC for months now and you haven't. He is very mean.

He also hates baby seals.

;)"

botman: "Yes, playing it for months. However, sometimes the server would decide to shutdown in the middle of a game for no good reason. Sometimes things in the game would collide and the server would go crash. Sometimes you would just look at somebody and get magically kicked off the server. Trying to test out the maps while the network code is still being debugged can be interesting to say the least. Luckily things are much better now and I can Halo PC multiplayer for 48 hours straight without even having to leave for a bathroom break.

And yes, baby seals suck. I would love to see a Halo level with the flame thrower and thousands of baby seals so that I could set them all on fire and then run over them with the warthog until they got all clogged up in the wheel wells. ;)"

3. Dark Helmet writes: "Trs-80? Ever play Raaka-tu?(sp?)"

botman: "Yes. Did you ever play DeathMaze5000 or Asylum (the 3D maze games)?

I know the guy that wrote them when he and I were in high school.

Big-Five was the Atari of TRS-80s at the time."

Dark Helmet continues: "About that time was when I discovered girls. So I had other things to do with my hands. Wait.....that didnt sound right..........O_o "

botman: "Hey, I just checked. Big-Five is STILL OUT THERE...

http://www.bigfivesoftware.com/

kinda scary! :)"

5. .mirage writes: "I have a movie made already in Dazzle but I can't compress it so it's small enough. It's 800 MB in avi. format so I sent that over to Windows Movie Maker and made it into a wmv. It was a good size at 54 MB but the quality was really bad. Anyone have any ideas?"

botman: "Try some of the codecs in VirtualDub (it's freeware)...

http://www.virtualdub.org/"

Wu is me!

1. "Fanny packs are awesome for traveling with."

2. "You make me want to stick an icepick in my ear. Really."

3. "How many folks need to post 'Don't feed the trolls'?

(That was a rhetorical question - the real answer is 'ZERO' - NOBODY should respond, at all. Not even to say 'hey, don't respond.')"

Shot off the (War)bow

1. "Good! Fear keeps a man on his toes. Welcome."

2. "HBO: The species that throws its own feces."

3. "If I weren't so unsophisticated I might be insulted. :)"

Flood of Interesting Stuff

dmauro enlightens us with How to make a Warthog Fly, tutorial link - "Feel free to mirror. Sorry for the excrutiating wait, and thanks to all the fans, supporters, and especially Pfhorslayer for making this possible. Enjoy!"

Warbow teaches us how to make a controller cable for PC use: Re: Well, I dunno.......... - "If this doesn't make sense then don't do anything. :)"

Jillybean wonders about: Cortana the Guilty - "Logically she did the right thing (if indeed there was no other option) but she sounds soooooo freaked at that bit."

Geeoff tries his hand with: Geeoff Guest One One Se7en Strip - "hey, i was inspired to make my own one one se7en comic strip after seeing some other people do it."

Doug Radcliffe is up to bat in the bottom of the ninth: Halo PC Strategy Guide - Home Stretch "Multi Maps" - "If you have any multiplayer map tips, send them in! There are a lot of Sidewinder and Blood Gulch tips out there so don't neglect the smaller, mostly FFA maps."

bikeman704 provides a tribute to Halo with: New Counter-Strike map - "This map isn't a copy of any one thing from Halo- but more of a combination of several of the multiplayer levels, and generaly Halo-inspired. You can find some early screenshots of the level below..."

Alabaster's got: Controller troubles - Dan Chosich has some good advice.

BOLL asks: You want to play "bah"? - "Ok... not sure if this is OK... but I hope so, otherwise you can press the Termination Button Louis :P"

Ciaran informs us he has made: Re: Halo 5cr33n54v3r5 - "Well, you could try mine here."

dws90 lets us know there are: Halo Books for Computers and Handhelds - "Palm Digital Media is selling the Halo books as ebooks. Their software is for the Windows, Mac, Pocket PC, and Palm Operating Systems."

The Invisable O informs us that it's: My B-day! - "Today I turn Sixteen. Time has not yet tempered me against life, but I hope to have awhile before I too lie in the grave." - Happy Birthday!

Exogenesis gives us his: Penny Arcade Game Day Early Report - "I'm sure the PA, and maybe Lanwerx will probably have reports with pictures and all that stuff. But I'll just give you the early (late?) lowdown right now." - Cool!

KP gives us his report on: Summer Slaying - "The whole day was really awesome, and I'd like to thank Louis for hosting it, because it's a lot of work." - Ah, Halo-goodness keeps crankin!

Blackstar follows with: Come and Get'um!! "Summer Slaying - 2003" picts - "Hey gang. The first set of Summer Slaying picts and a small vid of gameplay is up at BSP. The "Highlight Reel" will be posted as soon as I can get in some editing." - Shweet! ; and
    Summer Slaying Official Crew Pict - "HALO - "Summer Slaying" Aug 23, 2003."

Iceman1330 steps into the comic fray with: One One se7en guest strip.. in progress! - "hey give me some ideas i know it sux now. but i would like some dialoge help, and or theme help."

BurlyWolve shows us his: Halo Circus Trick Photos - "He he...well theres my trick... http://www.net.hostlab.co.uk/trick/"

skavenger_s7 puzzles us with: Speak N spell Halo. (Intellects only please) - "I am looking for any of some of or a few of you to reply with the 'one word'..... can you?"

gmand38 hopes for: Statistics Tracking in Halo 2 - "I think it would be really awsome if at the end of a level it showed a bunch of stats of how well you did, to give you something to compete against the next time you played, for better replayability."

Simpsons Rule ponders: Why doesn't the Flood attack 343 GS? *Theory* - "The Flood will attack sentinels, so it's not like they won't attack him because they can't infect him [GS]. Any ideas why?"

It was a stark and dormy night...ummm..oh well, Halo FanFic entries this week

1. Agent Shade submits: The Last War, Chapter Four: The Survivors and The Last War, Chapter Three: Reinforcements

2. BlackValkyire submits: The Rise and Fall of the Flood Chapter 5 and The Rise and Fall of the Flood chapter 6

3. Bloodcider submits: Anathema - Chapter 3

4. bloodsoldier4 submits: The Last Stand Of Humanity part 1 (Greetings Humans)

5. Chumley submits: New Recruit - Part I

6. Dispraiser submits: Draco Part 2 , RedWireDew - A Halo Comedy and Stranded at Home Part 4 and Stranded at Home Part 5

7. FOrunnER submits: Spartan III's, Part I

8. Frensa Geran submits: Buried Treasure(7)

9. GLADIATRRR3000 submits: CORRUPT [3]

10. Gruntar submits: The Seeping: Tales of 2 Pilots Pt. 2

11. grylsy submits: Long time gone part 3

12. Hunter_Killer submits: A Sieries of Wierd Events, Chapter One and An Officer Named Starblade: SPARTANs Awake

13. Jillybean submits: Halos and Rings - 1 and Swamps, Marshes & Keyes [H&R 2]

14. Jim Jo submits: Operation Rubicon, Part 1

15. Jinkaiden-XI submits: In Light of Destiny Part IV: The Art of War and In Light of Destiny Part V: Reine

16. LostRock submits: Halo 2: Revenge of a Spartan, Chapter 9

17. Mainevent submits: Shay's Rebellion: Boarding Action

18. Mike submits: Last Fortress - Deep Strike (Chapter One) and Last Fortress - Introduction

19. retsamolah submits: First Contact; Chapter 5: War in Space

20. Sergeant B submits: Survival or Death: Episode I

21. ShadowWolf Forsythe submits: Halo: White Battleground (Trailer/UPDATED)

22. Silent Hunter submits: On A Pale Horse: Last Resort

23. Spartan117 submits: Episode Four- Things Get Harder

24. SpartanMX submits: Back to Jevan: Part 2, Streets of Jevan

25. stan submits: The Martinez Tales, Part I: Martinez

26. Steve submits: Bunker on the Beach

27. The 2 submits: The 7th Column Part 1

28. The Master of Disaster (Kaboose) submits: The Rise of Humanity: Chapter One

29. The Scribe submits: The Plaza

30. Vege7a submits: SNIPER, Part Three

31. Vindicare_Assassin submits: The WildKats chapter 1: Casualties and Prep

32. xitWOUND117 submits: At ONI... , For the Ancients and Longsword Landing and The Lost Colony Part One: Severed Contact

I want my HTv!

BOLL continues to slave with: Bah... - Gotta see the flying Shade! The hits just keep on coming!

a weasel announces: JHP is back. - "Here is one I recently made. Please let me know what you think."

Wraith unleashes: Piloted Dropship - {care of Louis Wu}

Lion tosses: Master Chief Casting Call - "This is the story of two poor men who are trying to cast the role for another Master Cheif"

soccerchamp debuts: my first halo vid - "i was the only one playin so i couldnt do much someone else host it too because my site has 1 gig of bandwidth heres the site"

BOLL inundates us with: Wheels On Fire - "Er... well... had to do a followup to the monsterhog... thingy..."

Off the Mark

.mirage posts Weekly Zen *OT*

Quote of the Week

"Then you're too inept to be modding your XBox! If you can't find modding advice on the damn internet, you're not smart enough to be allowed anywhere near solder." - Shishka

Trolling Through the Park One Day...
And the Award for "tammato brain soup" goes to...

SketchTeno - "...*GASP* Are the covenant really... JEWS???!!!"

If Louis hadn't locked the thread, I wonder how many fish would be in the barrel?

How to be a Jerk in Co-op

(new submissions)

1. "If you use the plasma rifle against the flood, and you are... say... 30ft ahead of your friend... the flood usually fall, but do not die, as a result of the plasma rifle fire. (This is assuming you stop firing at their bodies after they fall down.) So as your friend is following you, suddenly all the flood you shot down should pop up to say "hi" to your co-op buddy." - FrogBlast

2. "Let your buddy ride the elevator halfway down, then hit X to bring it back up. Your buddy will promptly slip through the floor of the elevator and fall to his death." - Warbow

3. "kill your coop-er while you are in a banshee. when you fly, you are going too fast for them to respawn. now to really stiff them, land at the highest point possible or better yet crash into a high wall. when you crash, your speed will be low enough that the person respawns in midair and will fall and fall and fall. repeat as necessary." - Tirion of *WP*

4. "Wait until you Co-op buddy is standing on glass over the enemy. Shoot the glass and send your partner down into the middle of them. Then don't forget to says "Oops sorry" - Warbow

5. "Spend all your time breaking glass, don't worry about any enemies. You must run around hitting every piece of glass so that you hear the breaking sound. Don't kill anything, it just takes time way from your glass breaking. Do this until your partner either screams at you or just walks up behind and smacks you in the head. Either way at that point you know that you have become a Jerk." - Warbow

6. "My younger brother and I play Halo alot and he is 3(he has learned the controls very well) Well last night we played GS level and while the glass and the gernade ideas are good try this. When crossing the first bridge (not flashing) above a large group of flood and covenent get across first the deactivate the bridge with your partner on it. My brother did this to me and it =bleep=ed me off. I eventually was pulled to him by a check point and introduced him to the back end of my shotgun. Something similar can be done on AoTCR get to the elevators first and go down, Either you slow down your buddy (death is imminent then) or you kill them because they jump after you. (the elevator looks closer than it seems and it keeps moving faster than you can fall)." - Lt. Marx

7. "When your partner is being chased closely by infection flood (or anything else for that matter) Say "I've got your back!" and, instead of shooting the badguy down, toss a plasma 'nade onto the pursuer. The alien chasing your friend will become a homing grenade... your friend will promptly smack you." - FrogBlast

8. "This annoying trick involves using the checkpoint/loading areas of Halo and works better if you are playing legendary. Hang back near a checkpoint, wait until your co-op buddy is fighting an elite. When he/she finally has the elite's shield down, back up and trigger his/her return to your location. Generally, by the time he/she returns to the fight, the elite's shield are recharged. Keep doing this repeatedly. This trick also works well while your partner is flying a banshee. Wait until he/she is flying over an object that is normally not accessible from the ground, such as a bridge or large rock formation. Trigger the checkpoint and if you?re lucky his/her banshee will crash on said object. Leaving them on the ground where he/she belongs. Oh and as always don't forget to say 'Oops, sorry!' " - Warbow

9. "The setup: make sure that your partner is driving the warthog, you should be the gunner. You should not have a marine riding shotgun. Wait until your partner is driving toward a large group of Covenant. This part takes timing, you must wait until right before the hog is within range of the covenants weapons. Bail out, if you time it right, your partner will not realize that he has no gunner until it is too late. Hopefully there will be several jackals with over charged pistols to take out his/her shields and several elites to finish him/her off. Now comes the tricky part, you must act casual. When your partner asks "Why?" You respond "What??....I'm shooting them" while you firing a few pistol rounds in the general direction of the enemy." - Warbow

10. "Also, (especially when playing coop against the flood), should your buddy happen to die, toss a frag grenade onto his body (when he's not looking!). Thus scattering his weapons so to make him go through an aggrevating search and recover if he wants that Shotgun again.. " - pete_the_duck

11. "This is fun with everyone, but it's better when I'm teaching new people to play while in a co-op mission with them. I usually do this on the light bridge, but whatever: while driving the warthog with them in it, I run it off the right side of the bridge and jump out at the last second when my door is at the edge. The best part is that they usually try to jump out, too, but that just makes them die faster." - Glenn Close

12. "Going into battle, either two or three on a hog. 1. You are gunner , must have plasma grenade. - Just before, jump out, toss plasma (sticking) to rear underside - Hog flips, causing driver shield reduction, just as the attack begins 2. You are the side-seat passenger, must have plasma grenade. - To a sticky toss to the driver and/or gunner, and bail OR.... 3. You are the side-seat passenger, any grenade - Toss it out in front of the hog (like you are throwing at the enemy) - As you drive over, hang on...of all passengers, you will survive the best." - CYBRFRK

13. "While playing Halo (the level) whoever is first plyer gets to have alot of fun at the beginning. As soon as you gain control of your Master chief, run forward and melee player 2 in the back. (for some odd reason player two starts in front of player 1) As you are doing this (as in right before you're melee hits him), you should trigger a checkpoint. As soon as you partner respawns you might recieve the same treatment, but it is safe to say that you'll get the last laugh when you repeatedly kill yourself, leaving him to face the Covenant dropship...as soon as you revert to saved, he'll die, and no amount of jamming the control stick forward will save him. Have fun ;)" - Jamirus99

14. "This works best with a player at your skill level, and it's easy enough to do. Just fire up the level Halo, and when you are about to get to the underground cavern thing, make sure they are in the passenger side of the puma. Park on the side of the cliff so that they can't get out without dying. Get out of the 'hog and stand behind it, so that they can't shoot you, and try to get as close to the edge as possible. With any luck, when they decide to just bite the bullet and fall, they will respawn over the edge, and fall again. You can stay there for a few minutes, making up some story about your controller being screwed up and not being able to move." - B-go

15. "Get your co-op buddy to ride on the tracks of the tank in AotCR. Try to get him to sit on the front tracks. When you get to the underground area, pull up to the broken bridge and hang the tracks over the edge as far as possible without driving off. Hop out and continue on your merry way. If you want, slap a plasma granade on the back of tank as you walk away." - Boss "Wart" Hogg

16. "Load up T&R. There are so many things to screw up on here, that will drive your co-op player mad, especially if he cares about finishing the mission. In consecutive order:

a)You politely offer your friend to do the fun part of the game, which you call sniping. Let him pick off a couple enemies, then run in there with your assault rifle blazing, thus, waking all of the Covenant, summoning the marines and screwing up his sniping. Input excuse here. Don't just stop there. When you reach the part before the grav-lift, let him start sniping again. Then again, rush in with your assault rifle on automatic, if you are really cruel, sneak around to the left, so that the marines will run up the center and obstruct his firing apparatus.(Note: Purposely running in front of your friend while he's zoomed in the sniper rifle will probably piss him off, and he might as well shoot you. In case of that emergency. Strafe to avoid the sniper fire if possible and continue to block his view.)

b) When at the grav-lift section, tell your friend to hang back and cover you as you run to aquire a shade on the cliffhedge. After sucessfully reaching the shade, and promptly dispatching the Covenant from the dropship, wait for the enemy to unload on the grav-lift. Your friend should be on the other side at this time. Fire the shade seemingly toward the enemy, but direct the fire in his direction. That way the bright light prevents good sniping, or the plasma fire kills him eventually. Excuse yourself by indicating you were providing supression fire and also helping him kill the enemy.

c)Intentionally waste active camouflages and overshields, especially aboard the ship. Quickly grab the active camouflage and run in completely circles until it fades, then repeat the process. If he becomes suspcious of you running with it, swap for your assault rifle or other automatic weapon, and fire at the enemy while you have your active camouflage. Your best excuse for intentionally wasting it, is that you had to fire upon the enemy to either save your friend, or they spotted you. For overshields, simply activate the overshield and discover the nearest Jackal, and let the alien quickly erase the power-up your friend admires. (This tactic could be used on any level.)

d)One of the most annoying parts of the entire level, Keyes himself. Allow your friend to take all the glory and have him positioned at the point. Tell your friend you are holding back to cover Captain Keyes. While your allies are ahead of you clearing the way, help them by firing also with your assault rifle. The inaccuracy of the assault rifle will keep your friend alive and rip Captain Keyes that is in front of you to shreds. Merely wound him enough for a single Covenant plasma bolt to kill the Captain and allow a checkpoint to activate. After the checkpoint, ensure that Keyes finds his doom shortly after. The cutscene will activate, and subtly pretend that the Covenant or a lousy marine killed the Captain. Repeat the process for further frustration, preventing the completion of the level, and the unending death of Captain Keyes." - Shinai Purugganan

17. "Allow your bravado friend to rush into the enemy and easily dispatch the Covenant. As he cheers for the easy victory and praises his own L337 skillz just before the last enemy dies, send him a late frag grenade and possibly trigger a massive explosion, which not only kills him and scatters his weapons, but also prevents any hopes of him retriving anything from the Covenant he killed. Excuses are difficult to input here, unless you are renowned for loving great chain reaction explosions." - Shinai Purugganan

18. "Additionally to this undying tradition, perform this sequence in various places including the Pillar of Autumn. Gun down the Covenant boarders as they exit the airlock and ensure that you do not use a grenade and possibly make sure that Covenant die inside their boarding craft. Politely let your friend enter the small hatch first, and as he retrieves an over-shield, accidentally toss a plasma grenade to trigger the chain reaction where your friend is trapped cannot leave, thus becomed roasted turkey in a Covenant-built oven." - Shinai Purugganan

19. "For the subtle jerks, procede to missions with the Flood carrier forms. As you know the Flood carrier forms explode, causing grenades around it to explode. Inform your friend that you will eliminate the carrier forms as he takes the prize with the combat forms. While your friend battles the combat forms, let a carrier form, sneak up to him; do your assigned task, and destroy the carrier form. In turn, the combat forms around him who left grenades around, will repeat the honored chain reaction explosion, throwing your co-op friend into a frenzy against you." - Shinai Purugganan

20. "If your buddy gets up to get a drink or go to the bathroom between levels, wait until he leaves the room and exit out to the main menu. Go to the profile edit screen and change his button setup and/or his y-axis setting. Quickly reload the level before he gets back. This works especially well on a level that starts off with fighting, such as SC." - Boss "Wart" Hogg

21. "...play AotCR on legendary. right as the game starts, tap X to stay inside the pelican and leave your friend to fight the two elites." - TablesandChairs4

22. "In Two Betrayals, walk near the door to the control room and drop off the edge between the door and where the little wall starts, opposite the door (hope this is understandable). When you fall and die, so will your friend." - CammanB

New

23. "Let your friend go into a dangerous area, and provide a small amount of covering fire if he gets into big trouble, of course say "I got your back!" or something like that. Do not actually cover him, just where he's really screwed so that when he dies (Which is what you want) theres still enemies around but nothing you can't handle. Now take all the enemies out except for a grunt or two and you wont get hurt, but he won't respawn while the grunt is around. Its hard to make an excuse for this, but trust me, it won't take long for him to grab your controller and kill the grunt." - Brian Evans

24. "Get on an elevator, going down or up works, but down usually works the best because you can get out faster. Hop off and as fast as you can, send the elevator back up and leave. By the time he gets to the top and comes back down you'll be long gone. This works better with people that haven't played halo before because you can say "Stay here while I scout ahead" and they won't know that there's no need to scout, and most likely die when they get back because they need you for backup." - Brian Evans

25. "Get in the driver's seat of the warthog, and have your buddy get in gunner or passenger. It works with either seat, but it works best if you can convince them to take passenger for some reason, because the passenger will take the most damage in this.(Passenger being side seat) Now while you're gleefully bumping along in your hog, jump out and right as you jump out, look to your right and throw a plasma grenade. Usually it will stick to the hog, but if you're real lucky it'll stick to your friend. Either way works, now run towards the hog, and once the grenade goes off, jump in and ride away, he'll respawn in you're 'hog's exhuast trail. Once again, it's hard to make an excuse for this, but can piss someone off, or just get a laugh out of them. Now after you're a reasonable distance away, come back, and as you get within range of them, let off the gas a little and jack-knife so that the back end of the warthog slides and hits your partner, and when they ask "WTF?"
    you can say: "What? You were supposed to jump in.". You can't use this more than once because of that, since it IS possible for them to jump in if you let off the gas a little when you do it, but you can use the first part of the trick any time since when you're the driver, they're at your mercy." - Brian Evans

You think you're a jerk in co-op, or been jerked? Let me know, and if it brings the slightest hint of a smile out of me, I'll include it in next week's edition!

Newbie Corner:

Ahhh...a newcomer? Check this out!

FAQ's are great!

Spam! It's what's for dinner! (And not for Posting!)

Looking to download your favorite movie?

Can't view all of them gosh darn cool movies? Go here!

Or maybe you want to sit in the director's chair, and make a movie!

Search functions are great!

Would you like to spice up your posts with fancy-shmancy HTML?

Ever wonder when an egg is not an egg? Look here for more egg stuff.

What the heck is The Megg?

Message Index

Replies:

HBO Weekly ReviewWeekly Review 8/26/03 12:56 p.m.
     Another excellent HBO Weekly Review! *NM*MereCatfish 8/26/03 1:09 p.m.
     Nicely done!Shish in Nevada 8/26/03 1:22 p.m.
     I'm glad to be back. I missed you, Weekly Review.Shinai Purugganan 8/26/03 1:26 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewCYBRFRK 8/26/03 1:37 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewOpie301 8/26/03 1:49 p.m.
           i like this idea!! *NM*oddworld18 8/26/03 3:36 p.m.
     How Helpful to Those of Us Who've Been Gone! *NM*Poocho 8/26/03 3:17 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly Reviewc0ld vengeance 8/26/03 4:03 p.m.
           Gah!Weekly Review 8/26/03 4:28 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewSketchTeno 8/26/03 4:17 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewElfster 8/26/03 4:59 p.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewWarbow 8/26/03 9:51 p.m.
     Tasty. *NM*NthDegree256 8/26/03 10:43 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.