Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

HBO Weekly Review
Posted By: Weekly Review <deanero2001@yahoo.com>Date: 8/13/03 8:37 a.m.

HBO Weekly Review

Week Ending Sunday, August 10, 2003

What a busy week! Add to that, I bought a new computer and have been spending time transferring all my stuff. Also, to the person who sent me a "How to be a jerk in co-op", please send it again. It has gotten lost in the shuffle, and I remember laughing when I initially read it! Sorry!

On with the show!

Straight from Bungie's word-hole

1. Boss "Wart" Hogg writes: "Oops, I meant to type Tijuana Mama, not Man. And yes, I'm talking about the sausage:
    http://www.adirectconnection.net/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=438&CFID=846637&CFTOKEN=7915277"

MSN: "Now you know why I didn't eat it."

2. MasterOmok writes: "Looking at the code for the lvl... U have to manually add all the animations sounds ect code into the map and set its postition and then it would work... so if u have the time and skillz u can (in theroy) put ne thing on the lvl..."

MSN: "What does that mean? There is no "code" for the level."

3. CYBRFRK writes: "Since I was gone for 8 weeks I ran through my archives (of what was captured during the time that my server was running) and came up with around 36 photo's with some new and old faces. Any help in validation and identification is appreciated.

The majority of these were during the LADDER COMPETITION that Bungie did as part of their internal testing. This is now over, and we should expect to see the webcam move to another interesting location as soon as the WEBMASTER finds time out of his day (he's busy programming the new site on the new servers).

http://www.cybrfrk.com/BungiesWebcamFaces.htm"

MSN: "It's Mat, not Matt."

mehve: "Hey! Welcome back!!

Here's some names to these "unks" (nice sound effect)

78 Michael Wu
    72 CJ Cowan's aunt and uncle (on right), and to Alta's right, CJ's wife Sarah (sp?)
    68 and 66 Mike Cody
    65 Joseph (blur) with Paul "ruiner" Bertone
    63 Zach Russell
    57 Jay
    51 Joseph, Marty, Jay and Chris Butcher (for a moment there, Joe looked like Luke!)
    48 Shiek (squatting) visitor (standing), Laurel Garcia (with the purse)

Cheers!"

4. Finn writes: "I haven't heard the "Champions" Grunt dialogue since just a few weeks after the game was released. Thanks to the B Boys for releasing that one :)"

SketchFactor: "Glad you enjoyed it! =) We're trying to stick to the lesser heard (or never heard in some cases) dialog bits. Everything else is already covered in the mighty HBO Dialog Database!"

5. jayWHY writes: "Why was the codenamed changed to Blam?
    When was the initial name Trademarked?"

SketchFactor: "Spooky... we were JUST discussing this little tid bit yesterday..."

6. Shishka writes: "Shishka's HaloPC Pre-Release FAQ 1.0"

SketchFactor: "Nice FAQ!"

7. Louis Wu writes: "In that case, either they didn't use that box for the screenshots, or something ELSE is going on. :)"

SketchFactor: "I don't know the full details but I wanted to let everyone know that this site was using a *very* early build. This was not even a beta-build, much less something that should have been reviewed. The older builds that I have had experience with were definitely not optimized for anything but the very latest cards (9800, GeForce FX). It's also likely that a lot of other issues were unresolved on that particular build which surely affected their overall experience.

I have no idea why they would think a pre-beta build of a game would be suitable for posting a full review of the game."

8. Louis Wu writes: "A new link has been added to the top of this page. (It'll stay there until this current wave of traffic slows quite a bit.) You really, really, really need to read it, if you want to post here about hacking Halo."

Anim8rJB: "I thought I'd stumbled onto a new hack forum for a second, there. Good luck policing all those posts. I'll check back in a week or so when all this business has died down."

9. BOLL writes: "I'll continue to post crap in this thread... just.. so I got a greneral place to put it.. if it's ok with everyone?"

butcher: "wow, that's amazing, I have to go beat up jaime for leaving the engineer and the ghost on silent cartographer. those models are taking up valuable space we could have used for other things... same for the flamethrower and gravity rifle.

glad you're enjoying them, though. :)"

Wu is me!

1. "I HATE it when people read half a thread. ;( "

2. "If you're so friggin' clueless that you can't find the major Xbox hacking sites on your own, we want zero responsibility for the problems you will inevitably cause when you attempt to open your Xbox."

3. "I'm not saying you need to stay, though - you can leave if you want to. :)"

4. "You are single-handedly destroying the signal-to-noise ratio of this forum."

Shishka-Bob

1. "In short, if you're going to call someone a dumbass, you better make sure that you are, in fact, not a dumbass yourself."

2. "I like how you're both idiots. That's my fa~vorite part."

3. "Is that how you justify ending up with the needler in multiplayer all the time? Of course, I can only assume this is what happens. Maybe MNEMESIS can confirm for me. He'll never live it down. ;)"

4. "I dated a hippy once... Bitch broke my heart. THANKS FOR REMINDING ME THAT MY WORLD IS PAIN!"

Flood of Interesting Stuff

vshields ash oddness-end of maw "now i'm curious. if he can stand up there, guess who's headed up there :)" - Will he make it?

Ace The "Class 2 Armor Thing" "...if both the Spartan and Marine armor are referred to as Combat Skin, then there is really no reason to believe that the Mjolnir armor is forerunner related at all."

PfhorSlayer Progress update - Pics! - Seems everyone has seen this.

Dozi Helpful info for anyone trying to hack .map files - Cool!.

BOLL HappyHacking *VIDEO* - Well, it is hacking week... ;
    this one: Foehammer has been nice to me :) ;
    and this one: ** New hack pictures thread **

CYBRFRK Faces of Bungie Webcam UPDATED (14 new faces) - With this newest batch, we have 14 new faces(including one intern) within the Bungie Studios area."

Nick Some Screens + Request *IMGs-1.7MB* - Very cool!

It was a stark and dormy night...ummm..oh well, Halo FanFic entries this week

1. Agent Shade submits: Project: Shadow Spartan, Chapter 12(Finale) and The Last War, Prologue

2. BlackValkyire submits: The Rise and Fall of the Flood Chapter 4

3. Cire117 submits: The Ambush

4. Delta117 submits: Marines: Rise from the Fall/ Section 1

5. Elfster submits: Its Just One of Those Days: 04

6. FOrunnER submits: Halo 2, an Elites version, Part II and Halo 2, an Elites version, Part III

7. FuManChu submits: Earth, A Place for Death. Part 4: New Mombosa and Earth, A Place for Death. Part 5: Attack on the Gods Hands.

8. Gasmask submits: The Ballad of Reach

9. GLADIATRRR3000 submits: CORRUPT [2]

10. Greg and Wes Foutch submits: (Part 12) M31: First Blood

11. grunteater submits: Sergeant Johnson/ Master Cheif Story Part 1

12. grylsy submits: long Time Gone part 2

13. Hikaru-119 submits: The Fallen: Chapter 4 Section 3: Through the Woods

14. Hunter_Killer submits: An Officer named Starblade: Saving Sol and The Advenantures of Lt. Jake, Part Two

15. JCDenton submits: Halo: The MCconto Chronicles Part 4 and Halo: The MCconto Chronicles(©) Part 5

16. Jinkaiden-XI submits: In Light of Destiny Part I, Chapter II: Truth and In Light of Destiny Part I, Chapter III: Truth (continued)

17. Kancer submits: Four Plagues [1]: The Beginning of the End , Four Plagues [2]: A New Enemy and War for Earth City [1]:Only the Beginnning

18. MadJackal submits: Execution of the Mind: The Flood Virus

19. pj-NYkr90 submits: A Marine's Tale: First Encounter

20. Puma109 submits: The Tragedy of Red vs Blue

21. S7N submits: Rampancy Is Character Forming and Rampany Is Character Forming: Part 2

22. Shinai Purugganan submits: Operations Crew Tango Red: Retreat and Reunion and Remnants of Reach: Chapter 3: Adversaries of Annihilation

23. Silent Hunter submits: On A Pale Horse: The Beginning of the end

24. Simon James submits: Running Riot-Part 4

25. ssj9000chilango submits: Halo: Mercy , Halo: Mercy ch: 1 and Halo: Mercy Ch: 2

26. Steele submits: Halo: Combat Re-evolved; Moonbase Alpha and Vengeance

27. The Scribe submits: In A City of Chaos

28. Vege7a submits: SNIPER: Part-One

29. Walker submits: Last of the Walking Dead - Part One: Escape

I want my HTv!

guy who doesn't post....too often : Another Movie Hosted By C.O.E.R.C.E. *NEW* - Enter the Matrix, by Athol Productions ;
and Brand New Movie At C.O.E.R.C.E. by MaverickJ!! - Go check it out!!

Dark Helmet : Whats in your wallet!???? - Nice!!

C.C.R. and Spartaco : Get On Top - Yummy!

That Weasel Television has put up more movies! Check 'em out!

Red vs Blue is here! How the Other Half Lives

BOLL is back! When Rockets are Cheap...

Off the Mark

bikeman704 posts Fulfilling a Dream *OT* (I didn't save an kittens) - "Anyone interested in Flying, becoming a pilot, World War II aircraft, cool pictures of planes, or seeing a picture of me need to click the link below."

CYBRFRK posts Back in the saddle again... - Welcome back!.

.mirage posts another Weekly Zen *OT* - It's growing!.

Quotes of the Week
No quotes this week. Too many posts, very, very little gems.

Trolling Through the Park One Day...
And the Award for faking "My modding destroyed my XBox. They should have warned me!!! Thanks HBO, I'm suing!" goes to...

Nats - "I waited a bit, opened it up and the whole mother board was fried, the chip I put it was all charred, and everything was warm. I unlugged it and plugged it back in a few times, shook it around and tried it again but it still wont work! I tried everything! I figure it's got something to do with the halo hackin cause there were no problems before. Has anyone else experienced this?"

You can lock the thread, too bad you can't lock them up!

How to be a Jerk in Co-op

(new submissions)

1. "If you use the plasma rifle against the flood, and you are... say... 30ft ahead of your friend... the flood usually fall, but do not die, as a result of the plasma rifle fire. (This is assuming you stop firing at their bodies after they fall down.) So as your friend is following you, suddenly all the flood you shot down should pop up to say "hi" to your co-op buddy." - FrogBlast

2. "Let your buddy ride the elevator halfway down, then hit X to bring it back up. Your buddy will promptly slip through the floor of the elevator and fall to his death." - Warbow

3. "kill your coop-er while you are in a banshee. when you fly, you are going too fast for them to respawn. now to really stiff them, land at the highest point possible or better yet crash into a high wall. when you crash, your speed will be low enough that the person respawns in midair and will fall and fall and fall. repeat as necessary." - Tirion of *WP*

4. "Wait until you Co-op buddy is standing on glass over the enemy. Shoot the glass and send your partner down into the middle of them. Then don't forget to says "Oops sorry" - Warbow

5. "Spend all your time breaking glass, don't worry about any enemies. You must run around hitting every piece of glass so that you hear the breaking sound. Don't kill anything, it just takes time way from your glass breaking. Do this until your partner either screams at you or just walks up behind and smacks you in the head. Either way at that point you know that you have become a Jerk." - Warbow

6. "My younger brother and I play Halo alot and he is 3(he has learned the controls very well) Well last night we played GS level and while the glass and the gernade ideas are good try this. When crossing the first bridge (not flashing) above a large group of flood and covenent get across first the deactivate the bridge with your partner on it. My brother did this to me and it =bleep=ed me off. I eventually was pulled to him by a check point and introduced him to the back end of my shotgun. Something similar can be done on AoTCR get to the elevators first and go down, Either you slow down your buddy (death is imminent then) or you kill them because they jump after you. (the elevator looks closer than it seems and it keeps moving faster than you can fall)." - Lt. Marx

7. "When your partner is being chased closely by infection flood (or anything else for that matter) Say "I've got your back!" and, instead of shooting the badguy down, toss a plasma 'nade onto the pursuer. The alien chasing your friend will become a homing grenade... your friend will promptly smack you." - FrogBlast

8. "This annoying trick involves using the checkpoint/loading areas of Halo and works better if you are playing legendary. Hang back near a checkpoint, wait until your co-op buddy is fighting an elite. When he/she finally has the elite's shield down, back up and trigger his/her return to your location. Generally, by the time he/she returns to the fight, the elite's shield are recharged. Keep doing this repeatedly. This trick also works well while your partner is flying a banshee. Wait until he/she is flying over an object that is normally not accessible from the ground, such as a bridge or large rock formation. Trigger the checkpoint and if you?re lucky his/her banshee will crash on said object. Leaving them on the ground where he/she belongs. Oh and as always don't forget to say 'Oops, sorry!' " - Warbow

9. "The setup: make sure that your partner is driving the warthog, you should be the gunner. You should not have a marine riding shotgun. Wait until your partner is driving toward a large group of Covenant. This part takes timing, you must wait until right before the hog is within range of the covenants weapons. Bail out, if you time it right, your partner will not realize that he has no gunner until it is too late. Hopefully there will be several jackals with over charged pistols to take out his/her shields and several elites to finish him/her off. Now comes the tricky part, you must act casual. When your partner asks "Why?" You respond "What??....I'm shooting them" while you firing a few pistol rounds in the general direction of the enemy." - Warbow

10. "Also, (especially when playing coop against the flood), should your buddy happen to die, toss a frag grenade onto his body (when he's not looking!). Thus scattering his weapons so to make him go through an aggrevating search and recover if he wants that Shotgun again.. " - pete_the_duck

11. "This is fun with everyone, but it's better when I'm teaching new people to play while in a co-op mission with them. I usually do this on the light bridge, but whatever: while driving the warthog with them in it, I run it off the right side of the bridge and jump out at the last second when my door is at the edge. The best part is that they usually try to jump out, too, but that just makes them die faster." - Glenn Close

12. "Going into battle, either two or three on a hog. 1. You are gunner , must have plasma grenade. - Just before, jump out, toss plasma (sticking) to rear underside - Hog flips, causing driver shield reduction, just as the attack begins 2. You are the side-seat passenger, must have plasma grenade. - To a sticky toss to the driver and/or gunner, and bail OR.... 3. You are the side-seat passenger, any grenade - Toss it out in front of the hog (like you are throwing at the enemy) - As you drive over, hang on...of all passengers, you will survive the best." - CYBRFRK

13. "While playing Halo (the level) whoever is first plyer gets to have alot of fun at the beginning. As soon as you gain control of your Master chief, run forward and melee player 2 in the back. (for some odd reason player two starts in front of player 1) As you are doing this (as in right before you're melee hits him), you should trigger a checkpoint. As soon as you partner respawns you might recieve the same treatment, but it is safe to say that you'll get the last laugh when you repeatedly kill yourself, leaving him to face the Covenant dropship...as soon as you revert to saved, he'll die, and no amount of jamming the control stick forward will save him. Have fun ;)" - Jamirus99

14. "This works best with a player at your skill level, and it's easy enough to do. Just fire up the level Halo, and when you are about to get to the underground cavern thing, make sure they are in the passenger side of the puma. Park on the side of the cliff so that they can't get out without dying. Get out of the 'hog and stand behind it, so that they can't shoot you, and try to get as close to the edge as possible. With any luck, when they decide to just bite the bullet and fall, they will respawn over the edge, and fall again. You can stay there for a few minutes, making up some story about your controller being screwed up and not being able to move." - B-go

15. "Get your co-op buddy to ride on the tracks of the tank in AotCR. Try to get him to sit on the front tracks. When you get to the underground area, pull up to the broken bridge and hang the tracks over the edge as far as possible without driving off. Hop out and continue on your merry way. If you want, slap a plasma granade on the back of tank as you walk away." - Boss "Wart" Hogg

You think you're a jerk in co-op, or been jerked? Post 'em, and if it brings the slightest hint of a smile out of me, I'll include it in next week's edition!

Newbie Corner:

Ahhh...a newcomer? Check this out!

FAQ's are great!

Spam! It's what's for dinner! (And not for Posting!)

Looking to download your favorite movie?

Can't view all of them gosh darn cool movies? Go here!

Or maybe you want to sit in the director's chair, and make a movie!

Search functions are great!

Would you like to spice up your posts with fancy-shmancy HTML?

Ever wonder when an egg is not an egg? Look here for more egg stuff.

What the heck is The Megg?

When is HaloPC gonna be released. The exact date is here.

Message Index

Replies:

HBO Weekly ReviewWeekly Review 8/13/03 8:37 a.m.
     Woohoo! Nice job! *NM*Phantom_208 8/13/03 8:44 a.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewNick 8/13/03 8:49 a.m.
     gr8 job, one thing though :)Miguel Chavez 8/13/03 8:54 a.m.
           Re: gr8 job, one thing though :)oddworld18 8/13/03 9:21 a.m.
                 Re: gr8 job, one thing though :)C-B 8/13/03 10:04 a.m.
                       huh?guy who doesn't post....too often 8/13/03 10:16 a.m.
                             If You know, you Know, if not ; ) *NM*The MorningStar 8/13/03 10:21 a.m.
                                   Korhal=*** ****guy who doesn't post....too often 8/13/03 10:33 a.m.
                                         And now you know ; ) *NM*The MorningStar 8/13/03 10:37 a.m.
                                         Re: Korhal=*** ****Boss "Wart" Hogg 8/13/03 10:46 a.m.
                                               Re: Korhal=*** ****guy who doesn't post....too often 8/13/03 11:05 a.m.
                                                     The irony is...Mr Yun 8/13/03 12:44 p.m.
                                                           Time to step updeanero 8/13/03 1:08 p.m.
                                                     Here's to the artist formally known as KORHAL.SketchTeno 8/13/03 1:40 p.m.
                                                           A toast to KORHAL! =) *NM*Hawk7886 8/13/03 4:36 p.m.
                                                           Re: Here's to the artist formally known as KORHAL.Pico 8/13/03 4:37 p.m.
                                                     Or just don't start over...stan 8/13/03 5:24 p.m.
                                                           Re: Or just don't start over...Hawk7886 8/13/03 5:48 p.m.
                                         eyup (4get i posted this) *NM*KORHAL 8/13/03 7:03 p.m.
                             Re: huh?KP 8/13/03 12:35 p.m.
                                   Re: huh?guy who doesn't post....too often 8/13/03 12:37 p.m.
                                         Re: huh?Louis Wu 8/13/03 12:40 p.m.
                                               WOW! You have spare time???? Good to know. *NM*skavenger_s7 8/13/03 1:01 p.m.
                                                     Yup...Louis Wu 8/13/03 1:15 p.m.
                                                           Re: Yup...Warbow 8/13/03 1:16 p.m.
                                               actually Louisguy who doesn't post....too often 8/13/03 1:54 p.m.
                                               Re: huh?P_40E 8/13/03 2:54 p.m.
                                                     Re: huh?Louis Wu 8/13/03 3:11 p.m.
                                                     OMG, OUTSIDER!!!Shishka 8/13/03 3:46 p.m.
                             You forgot ol' Mr. Postman *NM*goatrope 8/13/03 5:40 p.m.
                                   Yeah, Postman is funny. *NM*Hawk7886 8/13/03 6:09 p.m.
     G/J!!! :)BOLL 8/13/03 9:00 a.m.
     Great...Boss "Wart" Hogg 8/13/03 9:23 a.m.
           Re: Great...deanero 8/13/03 9:48 a.m.
     I knew I should have tried for Fanfic. :(Skavenger_s7 8/13/03 10:03 a.m.
           Re: I knew I should have tried for Fanfic. :(deanero 8/13/03 10:24 a.m.
           ow, that hurt. *NM*? *NM*Andrew Nagy 8/13/03 11:04 p.m.
     w00t *NM*MereCatfish 8/13/03 10:56 a.m.
     Re: HBO Weekly ReviewBLown-Upp -on a old Mac- 8/13/03 3:00 p.m.
           Re: HBO Weekly ReviewFloodExterminator 8/13/03 3:25 p.m.
                 Re: HBO Weekly Reviewdeanero 8/13/03 3:44 p.m.
                       Re: HBO Weekly ReviewMiguel Chavez 8/13/03 4:01 p.m.
     SpecialnessSniperMan27 8/13/03 3:48 p.m.
           Re: SpecialnessBoss "Wart" Hogg 8/13/03 3:50 p.m.
     I got an award...stan 8/13/03 5:16 p.m.
     Small SuggestionRampant Cowboy 8/13/03 8:33 p.m.
           Re: Small SuggestionHawk7886 8/13/03 8:39 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.