Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

I'll give it a whirl, too
Posted By: Socrates <fuel4freedom@yahoo.com>Date: 8/3/03 10:52 p.m.

In Response To: Can anyone make sense out of this? (Simpsons Rule)

Ok, first thing to do would be to figure out just what "back-scatter" means. I find that particular word to be the most confusing in that particular section of the book; the dictionary definition of it can be found here, and I'll be using the very first definition given.

That being done, let me reword the passage, and see what happens.

Cortana hacked into UNSC's astrophysics databases and found that a pulse-laser transmission impacted the accretion disc of a black hole. This impact backscattered some asteroids. The impact of the pulse-laser accelerated these asteroids very quickly. The transmission, however, was still trapped in the accretion disc.

The data trapped in the asteroids (at least one of which became a meteorite) matches the data trapped in the accretion disc of the black hole.

Ok, so now that we've broken down the passage into more understandable text, let's take a look at what it actually means.

Something (probably the Forerunners) aimed a pulse-laser at a black hole, and then fired the pulse-laser in such a mannner as to use it for communications purposes. Likely, this was done very deliberately, but whether or not the intent was to trap the message in the black hole's accretion disc, the asteroids, or both is unknown.

In short, we have a result that's half message-in-a-bottle, and half time capsule. Someone essentially used a black hole as a CD-R. We later learn that the message sent by pulse-laser is a set of coordinates.

Why is this information important to Cortana? It's important to her because it's important to the Covenant. It's important to the Covenant probably because they know that it will lead them to an artifact of the Forerunners; whether or not they know that it's the coordinate set for a Halo or some other structure (if any exist) is not known.

So, essentially, this all breaks down to Cortana figuring out that the rock is more valuable than she'd estimated, and that the "code" it holds is very, very important, somehow.

And the rest, as they say, is history (sorta).

~Socrates

Message Index

Replies:

Can anyone make sense out of this?Simpsons Rule 8/2/03 8:23 p.m.
     Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?Elfster 8/2/03 8:47 p.m.
           Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?Shishka 8/2/03 9:07 p.m.
                 Thanks you two :) *NM*Simpsons Rule 8/2/03 9:17 p.m.
                 Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?Hawk7886 8/2/03 9:29 p.m.
                       Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?Simpsons Rule 8/2/03 9:34 p.m.
                             Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?Hawk7886 8/2/03 9:38 p.m.
                                   Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?Simpsons Rule 8/2/03 9:45 p.m.
                                         Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?silvergrunt 8/2/03 11:58 p.m.
                                               Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?Hawk7886 8/3/03 12:09 a.m.
                                                     Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?Tim Bowman 9/6/03 6:30 p.m.
           Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?Tim Bowman 9/6/03 6:28 p.m.
     Re: I'll try -LongWado SG 8/3/03 1:01 a.m.
           Re: I'll try -LongSimpsons Rule 8/3/03 7:20 p.m.
                 Re: I'll try -LongHawk7886 8/3/03 8:18 p.m.
                 Re: I'll try -LongWado SG 8/3/03 9:01 p.m.
                       Re: I'll try -LongSimpsons Rule 8/3/03 10:24 p.m.
                             Re: I'll try -LongWado SG 8/4/03 2:30 a.m.
                       Re: I'll try -Longsnowy_duck 8/4/03 1:40 a.m.
                             Re: I'll try -LongWado SG 8/4/03 2:32 a.m.
                 Re: I'll try -LongTim Bowman 9/7/03 12:24 a.m.
           Re: I'll try -LongCapo Rip 8/4/03 4:35 a.m.
                 Re: I'll try -LongWado SG 8/4/03 6:59 a.m.
     I'll give it a whirl, tooSocrates 8/3/03 10:52 p.m.
           Re: i'll try -LongIshkabibbl 8/4/03 1:58 a.m.
           Re: I'll give it a whirl, tooTim Bowman 9/10/03 7:41 p.m.
     Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?Kris08 8/4/03 12:06 p.m.
           <-- Ignore the Post aboveKris08 8/4/03 12:22 p.m.
     Re: Can anyone make sense out of this?hipboyscott 8/4/03 2:02 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.