Frequently Asked Forum Questions
 Search the HBO News Archives

Any All Exact 
Search the Halo Updates DBs

Halo Halo2 
Search Older Posts on This Forum:
Posts on Current Forum | Archived Posts

Re: Musings on the Nathan Interview
Posted By: Nathan <nathan@bungie.com>Date: 9/26/99 3:30 a.m.

In Response To: Re: Musings on the Nathan Interview (Shataan)

> You know... it s all cool and all to see for the 1st time char
> effects from explosions on your characters armor. To see
> gestures and how oh so cool your character moves. Yeah the wow
> factor will be in Halo in spades. But I for one care less about
> looking and scrutinzing my own character, as when you re in the
> game... if you are actually "into the game"...
> immersed.. you don t even see your character, as you re too busy
> trying to stay alive, finish your objectives, etc.

Nothing would please me more than for you not to notice charred armor until three months after you've been playing and then go "Damn, that's cool" when you do have a moment to take a look around. However, as I said, you can't please all the people all the time. And you seem to have disregarded the parts of the interview that mentioned the perspective changes and/or options we are considered implementing. To be honest, you seem to be looking at everything with your "first-person" filter on.

> I could do without these things that Nathan says I d miss with
> any other perspective than 3rd person. Seeing my character do
> anything is great if I m watching my character, but ... I won t
> be watching my character, so what s the point?

Well, until you have yet to play the game, I'd say it's hard to say what exactly you'll be watching. You may NEED to be watching your character - or your environment. Who knows what clues as to your life (or death) may be there.

This is especially true in the single-player game. Don't forget that this game isn't entirely multi-player - maybe it will be for you; but it certainly won't be for others.

> Oh... it ll be nice to have... but it seems to me these things
> are there more because they "can" do them, not because
> seeing your own character is an important function of Halo.

They will be there because they are fun. Period. And, quite possibly, very important in how you play the game.

> example... " I m running along... fire fight all around
> me... whomp!! I just got hit by an explosion, but it s far
> enough away that I m not dead, but wowowow look at the char
> marks that my armor is now showing!!!!!" Hmmmmm Lotsa guys

So now I know what direction I was hit from ... hmmm ...

> might find this an important feature, and actually be so
> immersed that they have time to look around at all the scenery,
> but this doesn t do a thing for me.

This goes far beyond "looking at the scenery", but you almost speak as if you've already seen and played the game. I can see why this thread created so many problems - some of you make an incredible amount of assumptions about things you have neither seen nor have been spoken of. As was also mentioned in the interview, charred armor is "one tiny example" of some of the things that can be created.

Just because I am not willing to release the full details of a game scheduled for next year's release doesn't mean they won't be there.

> His explanation just doesn t sell me on his reasoning in this

Well, I certainly wasn't trying to "sell" a single individual. Perhaps you'll just have to wait and see. You seem so strongly opinionated from the outset that it's obvious you will need proof, such as your friend saying "you have to play this game". If that's the case, so be it. I don't think there's anything I could say that would change your mind at this point.

> area. Oh, I have no doubt 3rd person will be very cool in
> Halo.... but I couldn t adopt his reasoning at all about the use
> of it, to see the things I d miss otherwise? I ll be so busy

If that's all you drew out of it, then I'm not sure if you were reading the same interview. But to each their own.

> looking at you and everyone else but me... the scenery,
> vehicles, the awesome lighting and visual effects happening all
> around, and I hope the game s so fast paced, that I have very
> little time to sit and stare at what my own character looks like
> at a given situation.

I can tell you this: the game will not be "so fast-paced" that you no longer need to think to play - just jump around and fire at people's feet. That's not the speed we're talking about here. Yes, things will be happening around you. It won't be to the point that the person with the fastest trigger-finger wins. That ... well, at least to me, isn't a whole lot of fun.

If you have such strong opinions on the subject, I'd wait until you see more details before being so judgmental - especially about something you're not in the room creating. Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I've heard the same thing ad nauseum - which is basically ignoring everything positive, while latching on to everything that supports your viewpoint.

Honestly, I don't mean this as an attack, nor do I intend to stir up a long discussion on the matter. However, I viewed some of your comments as highly biased and quite a bit unfair.

Nathan

Message Index

Replies:

Musings on the Nathan InterviewMark Levin 9/25/99 6:01 p.m.
     Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 1:26 a.m.
           Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewNathan 9/26/99 3:30 a.m.
                 Some more musings (and suggestions...)mad.max 9/26/99 7:20 a.m.
                       Who's Really in Charge ... ;)Nathan 9/26/99 4:15 p.m.
                             Re: Who's Really in Charge ... ;)Shataan 9/26/99 6:32 p.m.
                             Awwww....mad.max 9/27/99 9:44 a.m.
                                   Re: Awwww....Nathan 9/28/99 12:24 a.m.
                             Re: Who's Really in Charge ... ;)Forensic 9/27/99 12:18 p.m.
                 Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 11:45 a.m.
                 well i must say....Adeamus [IMG] 9/26/99 11:47 a.m.
                       Re: well i must say....Mr. Eez 9/26/99 4:31 p.m.
                       Re: well i must say....Loren Petrich 9/26/99 5:51 p.m.
                 Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 12:32 p.m.
                       Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewBen Schodek 9/26/99 2:03 p.m.
                             Re: Musings on the Nathan InterviewShataan 9/26/99 6:25 p.m.

contact us

The HBO Forum Archive is maintained with WebBBS 4.33.