| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Re: konigsberg bridges/cuckoo clocks/Euler

Posted By: mnemesis <tvansinden@earthtech.com>
Date: 14 June 2001, 22:48

In Response To: konigsberg bridges/cuckoo clocks/Euler (don)

> Euler didn't do a lot with codes but he did work with links and crossings
> http://www.maths.may.ie/images/konig.html

That is exactly what I have been working on for a while now. Going under the assumption that the two words we need are encoded into some of the outer numbers, I have been working on finding a pattern through the seven dials which would give up a word when properly decoded. I have made a list of the possible combinations, based on numbers that are shared by different dials. (They all start with 1-7-2 because the 7th dial only links to the 1st and 2nd, and this way the paths are circular.)

1-7-2-3-4-5-6
1-7-2-3-6-5-4
1-7-2-4-3-6-5
1-7-2-4-3-5-6
1-7-2-4-5-6-3
1-7-2-5-6-3-4

I've been trying these combinations in 3of9's Extremely Cool Glyph Cipher Number Transmogrifierª, but haven't come up with anything yet. I haven't tried then all, though, and since the ones I have tried are at work, I can't note here which ones are definitely out.

I can, however, note some other patterns I have tried that haven't worked. I tried rotating forward (and backward) one number each dial, but only in normal numeric order (i.e: 1st dial-37, 2nd-48,3rd-0, etc) Here are the letters corresponding to both of those operations:

(forwards)
K V Z V U O J
S Y F I Y T R
X K M K V N X
J L T H B J C
W O S G O D S
T M N X Y O K
X R G M I B E
O C V Z Z N S
--------------
(backwards)
K R S K U B S
O M T I Z O C
X O M V I D X
T L F Z Y J R
W K Z M O N J
J Y V X B T S
X V G G V O E
S C N H Y N K

These have also been run through ROT-Xing them with no obvious results. :( Another thing I tried was the theory that the letters in "ARRIVAL" point to certain spots on the "clock" dials. The best guess for the letters is as follows:

T L M X B O X
J K F I Y B S

There are 128 possible combinations of these two series, with 26x more ROT possibilities. If anyone wants me to post the initial 128 line list, I will, but I didn't see anything after running it through 3of9's number cruncher.

So, basically, I have no good news! :/

-mnemesis (tired again...)

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Bungie Fanfest Board is maintained by with WebBBS 3.21.