| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Cool, it's solved! However, let me ramble... :)

Posted By: Miguel <bs@bungie.org>
Date: 9 June 2001, 12:26

In Response To: Re: We're getting close... (Hippieman [B.Org])

> Miguel I'm pretty sure Deimos (3of9) is right, the thread of life inside
> the light, is the filimant inside a lightbulb. Thats gotta be a
> confirmation.

> -Hip

I agree, it's solved. But I spent alot of time writing everything below, and I don't want it to go to waste :)

I did notice Chelseea mention the 'thread of life' which again, on the surface at least, links back to our favorite topic - DNA. Here's a link making a direct connection. Even better, here's a page with a visual representation of DNA. It might help.

But let's dig a little deeper...

The Thread of Life

Victorian poetry, by Christina Rossetti, that might be relevant...

But let's dig a little deeper...

Thread of life is also linked to the FATES, or Furies. (God I loved the Sandman series, any of you others read the original Neal Gaiman series? Talk about wonderous stories... Now I'm going to have to reread the whole thing again. :)

Now a reader named 'don' long ago mentioned the Fates, although not directly to any actual glyph... here's the link. He connects the fates to 7, but actually there are 7 Fates only in Egyptian mythology. Norse and Greek myths have Fates that are 3 in number. I can't find anything very illuminating about the 7 Fates, so I'm going to skip that and stick with the more 'conventional' Norse/Greek version of the Fates.

Could this be an instance that Claude mentioned? Something thrown out there that was completely passed over by us?

A very succinct explanation of the Fates is found here, and copied below:

The Greeks believed that the fabric of our society was made from each person's individual life-thread intersecting with other peoples' life-threads. The responsibility of managing the threads was given to three supernatural beings: The Fates. The Fates embodied the three stages of a woman's life: Maiden, Mother, and Crone.

The Maiden's name is Clotho and her color is white, the color of innocence. She spins the thread of life.

The Mother's name is Lachesis and her color is red, the color of blood. She measures the thread of life.

The Crone's name is Atropos and her color is black, the color of death. She cuts the thread of life.

In this triptych, the gold thread of life runs through each panel. The strap has the gold thread of life running through the names of the Fates.

Notice, of course, the theme of THREE running through this.

Another link... the word Stamen links back to the Thread of Life.

ETYMOLOGY: Latin stamina, pl. of stamen, thread, thread of life spun by the Fates. See stamen.

This link connects the Fates and DNA.

If this is helpful to anyone, my work will have meant something! :)

- Miguel

Messages in This Thread

| View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg |

Bungie Fanfest Board is maintained by with WebBBS 3.21.